Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLI'ing 1x 6600gt 256meg and 1x 6600gt 128meg, could it work?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if this could work or do the cards have to be identical in every way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No, the cards need to be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

By identical, that means they have to be by the same manufacturer as well :o

ATi's CrossFire is starting to sound better by the minute :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Hmm.. Thats a bummer, as if i SLI'd 2 x 128 meg cards i would only be able to use the memory of 1 of them, thus being a measly 128 effective memory it would be next to useless, so i thought if i would use the memory off the 256 card that would give me double the memory.

Was there not a rumour that nvidia where bringing drivers out that supported mix and match SLI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes, the current crop of nVidia drivers support pick 'n' mix cards (I haven't tested this though) from different manufacturers etc.

However I don't know about mismatched memory. Even if it did work I would imagine that the 256mb card would be limited to 128mb memory.

And people have gotten mixed manufacturer cards to SLi for months now, they just were not officially supoprted by nVidia.

I'm going to reserve judgement on Crossfire until it comes out, properly, and I get my hand on some cards.

So it could work then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

WizZard wrote:
    However I don't know about mismatched memory. Even if it did work I would imagine that the 256mb card would be limited to 128mb memory.
    Possibly, but I honestly doubt it given the technology used in SLi.

Different manufacturers is possible. It's the different memory sizes that is gonna hold you back.

hmm...well it wouldn't even be worth sli'ing for just 128 meg total memory, they should really have made the memory of the two cards available

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

[sarcasm] Yea, I bought an fx5200 with 256mb ram, cos it was twice as good as my ti4600 with 128mb ram [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

djmarkus wrote:
    So it could work then?

No.

djmarkus wrote:
    hmm...well it wouldn't even be worth sli'ing for just 128 meg total memory, they should really have made the memory of the two cards available

FFS, would you at least read into how the memory on each card is put to use?

This is not the Computers forum. You will not be spoonfed information already present in 6 month-old press releases.

• Advertisement

Actually, looking into how the memory is used it becomes apparent that sli'ing gfx cards with different amounts of memory is impossible, seemingly the memory in both cards is used but they are used to store the exact same thing, which is a bit stupid IMO as there's a nice and fast PCI-x bus and the sli bridge to transport textures from one card to another.

Syxpak, I'm lazy, so i probably should thank you.

the gpus are working together on the same job,m therefore they each need a copy of the "plans" (textures, shader programs etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.anandtech.com and www.guru3d.com have ways to get different cards to work in SLI>

kdjac

Advertisement