Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Sequels?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

you know the way sequels IN GENERAL usually arent as good as their predecessors and can just be a rehash of the existing gameplay with small updates (cough cough EA) i was just wondering can anybody think of games that really should have had sequels released but never did,due to financial reasons or whatever.System Shock 3 is one that comes to mind for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Beyond Good & Evil!

I want more!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought "System Shock 3". You beat me to it.

Imagine SS3 with the Doom 3 engine?

I'd like Ultima Underworld 3 please.
    I'd also love to see a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D.... oh wait, hang on....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also say - BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!
    I think Shadow of the Collossus is counted as Ico 2 so that's OK...

Think that's it really...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Beyond Good & Evil!
    From Eurogamer this morning:
    Michel Ancel's been talking about his action-role-player Beyond Good & Evil again - in a little box-out next to a big long chat about King Kong in the September issue of EDGE.

"If we make a sequel to BG&E, it would have a lot of advantage because of the time we've spent on King Kong," he said.

"It's not that much of a problem to do it. It seems that a lot of people would like a sequel, and I wrote the story to be longer, so it would be good to finish it. But we have no plans for that."

That's pretty much the line we got last time Ancel mentioned the possibility of more Beyond Good & Evil. At one stage Ubisoft was linked with a whole trilogy of games, but it seems that despite mass critical-acclaim the French publisher would rather set Ancel to work on other games.

You can sort of see why. Having been lauded the world over for BG&E, his talent is bound to instil quality and hardcore credibility in just about any project - as we've seen with Peter Jackson's King Kong, which is already being heralded as one of the best-looking film licences ever.

And of course if games like King Kong help keep Ancel in the public eye, the chances of Ubisoft green-lighting something as personal as Beyond Good & Evil 2 are also given a boost.

In other words, we wouldn't write it off completely. But you might as well uncross your fingers for now; it really isn't in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

god ya imagine it.System shock 3 with the Doom engine.....with a gravity gun!!!! CHAAACHING!!!!$$$$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'd have liked a sequel less crappy than Deus Ex:Invisible War.

ya i agree i was totally disappointed with invisible war...."i just saw a man die back there...no you didnt....yes i did....no you didnt...ok maybe i didnt better head to the lobby PAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Total annihilation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sam & Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Kid Icarus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Well i have good news for Smelly Irishman and Monument both sam and max and total annihalation have sequels in the works

The total annihalation sequel is called "supreme commander" and features the same production team from the original RTS - it should be out for christmas!

The sam and max sequel is a bit of a "duke nukem forever" **shudders**
    is switched developers twice now and is currently being handled by a german independant developer so an ETA on that is gonna be hard to say

Personaly i think Vagrant Story on the PS1 deserves a great sequel on PS2 i havent since seen another rpg with as much depth besides Disgaea since - i would also like to see the return of the highly orignal and fun timing-based combat system

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

God of War 2. The first was fooking amazing......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well id say a god of war sequel is a difinite thing now after the game did so well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote:
    Personaly i think Vagrant Story on the PS1 deserves a great sequel on PS2 i havent since seen another rpg with as much depth besides Disgaea since - i would also like to see the return of the highly orignal and fun timing-based combat system

Well there is FFXII. It's made by the same developement team and the producer has said it is more of sequel to Vagrant Story than a Final Fantasy game.

I'd like to see a sequel to Axelay for one of the handhelds.

A new Panzer Dragoon game by Smilebit would be nice. An RPG preferably but if it's a game as good as Orta I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Airbourne Ranger :D , Sensible Soccer ,Aliens Vs Predator (first one) and kick off 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Total annihilation
    Theres one being made, looks class, cant remember what its called though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I'd like to see a Deus Ex sequel anyway. System Shock 3 with a Doom 3 engine? Maybe they can piss away all the carefully built up terror in favour of DARK FÚCKING ROOM AFTER ROOM too!
    Freespace 3 would be nice, but then I did like the mystery of the current ending, the many unsolved questions and such. Odd, that sort of fig would usually annoy fig but Freespace pulled it off, no doubt due to the verbal charms of Stephen Baldwin.

Starcraft 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mark wrote:
    Starcraft 2.

I agree totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

monument wrote:
    Sam & Max.
    Yes, damn you Lucas Arts

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Starcraft 2

You mean there was a sequel?
    If you're refering to Brood War, that was a meagre expansion pack, but if there was a sequel... Now that I would have liked to have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hercule wrote:
    The sam and max sequel is a bit of a "duke nukem forever" **shudders**
    is switched developers twice now and is currently being handled by a german independant developer so an ETA on that is gonna be hard to say

Any links on this? Last news I read was that Lucas canned the sequel about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Darklands, Keyball, Grand Prix Legends, Jet Set Willy, Pilot Wings (64), etc.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well if we're going to talk old school, then:

Impossible Mission 2 (C64),
    Alien Breed 2 + Including some of it's later versions (Amiga)
    Zool 2, (Amiga)
    Street Fighter 2, (Everything)
    Castlevania X (PSX - craps on all other versions)
    Sonic 2, (Sega)
    Mario 3 + Some later versions, (Nintendo)
    Renegade 2, (Spectrum)

Gah, there's so many that I'd have swollen hands if I dared type them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah Blizz, hurry the **** up with starcraft 2 already. I don't know how they can ignore one of the biggest and best rts games of all time. Wtf is with starcraft ghost? That's not what starcraft fans want.

I'd like to see a sequel to shadowrun as well, that's going right back to snes days.

You might want to go back and re-read the thread ropedrink, It's not what are your favourite sequels. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/preview_6110044.html

There kinda making a sequel to system shock 2.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

They really need to make a Freespace 3, though with Interplay going down the crapper chances of that are slim. The Freespace 2 community is thriving, especially with the release of the source code for FS2. FS2 was one of the greatest games ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Think there was a freespace 3 in the pipes but the guy who owned the IP after Interplay went bust refused to sell.

Hmmmm.

My bad, although they were great sequels.
    Let's see...

Space Hulk should have gotten some form of sequel,
    Benefactor on the Amiga I though would have been interesting with a few modifications, was good fun, and was certainly a fresh break (despite some similarities) of Lemmings back in the day.
    I honestly can't think of too many newer versions - I mainly play the old games, some of which people may have never even heard of. They're definately more addictive than some of the trash that gets spewed out these days, and any recent games I've played have had crap/moderate sequels churned out in order to benefit from any general popularity the original had.

Sorry, just thought of one, 'Vampire: Bloodlines - The Masquerade' was left wide open for another sequel, and it was pretty good although some randomness to the plot / missions would have made it so much more playable.

I would personally love to see Warhammer stick to the old games. I enjoy Dawn Of War, but if I could only get Warhammer: Dark Omen to work on later graphics cards I'd drop all games like a hot stone and play it non-stop. Fantastic game, and still played today - Would love a more souped up version.

• Advertisement

Kare Bear wrote:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/preview_6110044.html

There kinda making a sequel to system shock 2.:)

that looks pretty good

Advertisement