Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import Checklist

Options
  • 23-08-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Guys,

here's my story (slightly different from most on here).

I live in Manchester & have been contracting here for 12 months. bought a 2001 VW Golf 6 months ago that has been taxed, registered & insured in my name with UK address. I want to bring this motor home and get it re-registered in Ireland, avoiding VRT, so that I can sell it on in 12 months back home.

I will be returning to the UK with the car once it has the Irish registration.

I have accounts & payslips to prove my address etc. If I came to Dublin on a Friday to the VRO would I have everything I need to get this done in one day? Obviously they have to inspect the car etc, but is there any flaw with my plan? Am I missing something?

the last thing I want is to arrive in Dublin with the car and figure out that I can't register the car without paying VRT.

Thanks for any replies. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Seems to me like your main concern is with the fabled 24/48-hour time limit to get the car imported, no?

If that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about that - cops are less likely to jump on yo ass because you're on yellows than because you're on whites and failing to display/speeding/etc. (unless you've got 'Irish' written on your forehead and they'll jump on you 'cause you're Irish driving on yellow plates? :D;) ) - Don't leave 3 months, but they're hardly gonna tear you a new one because it's taking you a week to import the car :)

With respect to turning up at the VRO and getting it done there and then, I believe they'll be making the appointment, and it will be up to you to turn up on the day. An idea might be to start 'remote-dealing' with them as early as you can (fill & send Form + send copies of all your docs), so that the form and everything else (e.g. them checking all your documentary evidence - and they do pore over it) is done and dusted by the time you turn up for the visual inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

ambro25 wrote:
    Seems to me like your main concern is with the fabled 24/48-hour time limit to get the car imported, no?

If that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about that - cops are less likely to jump on yo ass because you're on yellows than because you're on whites and failing to display/speeding/etc. (unless you've got 'Irish' written on your forehead and they'll jump on you 'cause you're Irish driving on yellow plates? :D;) ) - Don't leave 3 months, but they're hardly gonna tear you a new one because it's taking you a week to import the car :)

With respect to turning up at the VRO and getting it done there and then, I believe they'll be making the appointment, and it will be up to you to turn up on the day. An idea might be to start 'remote-dealing' with them as early as you can (fill & send Form + send copies of all your docs), so that the form and everything else (e.g. them checking all your documentary evidence - and they do pore over it) is done and dusted by the time you turn up for the visual inspection.

Cheers for the Response.

Yeah, sounds fine to me. My plan is to literally take the car to the VRO, get the docs done etc, have it officially re-registered in Ireland and then take it back to UK for a while. I know it's slightly risky, but hey! ;)

Advertisement