Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would YOU have done?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

This is just out of curiosity more than anything else really, but...

As ye all probably know, the new first years are coming into a fully modularised system where two of their modules over any given year can be chosen from outside their specific course area, i.e if I was studying Social Science, I could do a module from Law.

These are the lists of undergrad programmes being offered to those lucky new first years..

http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/undergapps.htm

Go into your course and hit "Click here to view first year modules."

Then scroll down to Free Electives and click "View the Free Electives (Max 2 of)" to see a list of available classes across the university.

Some people within the college think there will be a huge uptake of modules outside students' core course areas while other think that most people will stay within their course...

I probably would have done a couple of Law classes to compliment my Arts degree (because I might want to go into Law after I finally get out of here), what about everyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

law and some sort of engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I would've stayed within the Arts courses tbh.
    History and... I dunno... Information Studies, Psychology, Philosophy? Somethin like that.

I sure as f**k wouldn't do Politics again, that's for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Probably a couple of architecture modules, but god only knows if an Arts/Arch combo would work or be permitted through the timetabling constraints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It sucks, I'm not able to do any modules in politics with my course :( I might do one in law and one in english...

I'll get out of this thread now, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would have loved to take some of the Women's Studies courses with WERRC... but they're not offered within Horizons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Would have liked to do the Law module entitled "introduction to the legal system" as it would be interesting to know how the whole thing works. Also definitely something from computer science, celtic studies, archeology (sp!) and psychology would have been interesting. Its a good idea really, because if you have an interest in something but don't want to make it a career, then you can do a bit of it while still working towards your degree in what you do want to make a career out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I'd love to have taken some Arabic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

probably would have done whatever business subjects were available

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess some computer science and maybe something like latin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

would have liked to do something in the English course - I was thinking children's literature. I think that would compliment T.Physics wonderfully :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It'd help if the damn thing could find the server.

The English course this year would be great. And my course was available through the CAO for the first time, at 500 points... that's higher than Psychology through Arts!

Children's Lit... used to be on and was supposed to be great, but where did it go? It's back for freshers... that's hardly fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would've done my original degree with a module in advanced Ancient Greek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I could have taken the history and theory of architecture with my history of art,
    that would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Probably something from equality studies and introduction to computer programming.

Advertisement