Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist

• 23-08-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I've heard alot about Atheist recently i want some progressive music can any1 tell me what album i should get to start with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I'd recommend Piece Of Time to start off with. Stay away from Elements as a first album for sure :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

You can't go wrong with any of their albums so just get all of them!

MF - that's a great pic of Horgh :D (can't see his beer gut though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think Unquestionable Presence is their finest release by a long, long way but it may not be the best way to get to know them. You'll pick up the three albums for less than €40. It's good to know what came before and after and all three are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I only have Elements myself, superb album, have been looking to get the other two for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly Unquestionable prescence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Unquestionable prescence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Haven't heard any, but I was checking them out on Amazon they're available there and they usen't to be.

All three albums are being re-released by Relapse Reords this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doctor J wrote:
    All three albums are being re-released by Relapse Reords this week.
    And there will be much rejoicing, Ill have to mop them other 2 up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I'd recommend Piece Of Time to start off with. Stay away from Elements as a first album for sure :p
    Die.. Just.. die. :P

Unquestionable presence is good, but I have to be of the unpopular opinion of saying that I prefer Elements on the whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I listen to Elements quite often, it being one of my favourite albums. I haven't heard anything else by Atheist (although I hope to rectify that quite soon) despite being very, very impressed by Elements. Why is it a bad idea to listen to it first? Is it quite different to their other work and hence not a good introduction to the band?

When you hear Unquestionable Presence, you will understand.

For anyone who hasn't heard Atheist before, Right Click and Save As like your life depended on it.

I've got all three albums pre-ordered on play.com already. ;)

Nice :)

I pre-ordered them from Relapse a long, long time ago. They should be here any day now. I believe UP has 12 bonus tracks, including the demo sessions for this album with the mighty Roger Patterson, who sadly never got to see this music come to fruition.

Any day now :D

Seems they're not out untill the 5th and 19th of the month according to play.com, different release dates for the US?

They were shipped on the 23rd. Buy from source, to hell with the official release dates :D

Indeed, but I don't have my own credit card, so I have to rely on a few trustworthy companies that 'the ma' has already given me permissing to pass on her CC details too. I don't mind really though, as I trust play.com and find them an excellent company to deal with. Right now I'm more excited about the new Opeth album arriving one of the days.

A quality release, no doubt though it took a few spins to really get into it. "More excited" though? Are you nuts? :p

Doctor J wrote:
    "More excited" though? Are you nuts? :p

Dry Roasted. ;)

They (Piece Of Time is still on backorder so just Elements and UP) arrived today!!!

All I can say is...

...nothing at the moment, I'm still picking myself up off the floor. 9 bonus tracks on UP (7 are demo tracks featuring Roger) 1 is the bass and drum tracks for Mother Man and the last is the rhythm tracks for And The Psychic Saw

Elements has 6 live tracks from the UP era.

Fantastic.

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff man, lots of bonus crap is always a plus. I'm keeping an eye out for that Cynic re-issue aswell.

Och i'm jealous!

I'll have to wait until the end of the month to get my copies...i need every penny for this trip to Germany (and it better be worth it coz i'm missing Decapitated, Nevermore AND the expo at the RDS :mad: )

Ancient1 wrote:
    Och i'm jealous!

I'll have to wait until the end of the month to get my copies...i need every penny for this trip to Germany (and it better be worth it coz i'm missing Decapitated, Nevermore AND the expo at the RDS :mad: )

Christ man, nothing is worth all that! :eek:

Gentlemen,

hearing Roger Patterson's work on the Unquestionable Presence is as emotional experience as you're likely to ever hear.

The re-issues ****ing rule. This band ****ing rule. This stuff is so good it's actually hard to take in at times.

KH - by way of consolation i tell myself that i'll be filling my tank up with excellent german beers and prime pork every day. But yes, it hurts missing all the action!

Doc - don't forget to breathe. And lock up your instruments. :p

Ancient1 wrote:
    KH - by way of consolation i tell myself that i'll be filling my tank up with excellent german beers and prime pork every day. But yes, it hurts missing all the action!

Excellent german beers and prime pork do sound like they'd numb the pain. We must find a way of combining guitars, pork, nevermore, and german beer. The Metal, pork, guitars and beerfest, in Galway! :D

Elements arrived for me last week. Quite an album, I must say! Still waiting on Unquestionable Prescence and Piece Of Time though.

Doctor J wrote:
    Gentlemen,

hearing Roger Patterson's work on the Unquestionable Presence is as emotional experience as you're likely to ever hear.

The re-issues ****ing rule. This band ****ing rule. This stuff is so good it's actually hard to take in at times.

Unquestionable prescence arrived for me today, and yes, Roger Patterson's bass work is phenominal to behold! I listened to the demo tracks, and jesus! The basslines struck out hit me like a tonne of bass guitars. Tony Choy is an amazing bass player aswell, and he's playing the exact same stuff, but jesus you can hear such a difference! It's unreal.

What most impressed me was how complete the demos were. There's very little on the album that wasn't on the demo. The bass and drum version of Mother Man is really something else. It sounds even more technical without the guitars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Just listened to that mp3 Karl, fantastic stuff.

Advertisement