Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU roll-call

• 23-08-2005 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

In a concept which I blatantly stole from the UCD forum - I thought it would be a good idea if everyone from DCU declared what they'd be studying this year, so we can see who's here and what they're studying...

I'll get things started:
    Journalism - 1st year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

I'm just so bored in work (smart telecom broadband!!) that i'll submit anything on boards here!
    I'm now 3rd Year multimedia. Just got a great Intra offer yesterday for this year, weheyy!
    Lizanne. Ps: Did you only get your offer for journalism in DCU yesterday? Ahh well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

lizanne83 wrote:
    I'm just so bored in work (smart telecom broadband!!) that i'll submit anything on boards here!
    I'm now 3rd Year multimedia. Just got a great Intra offer yesterday for this year, weheyy!
    Lizanne. Ps: Did you only get your offer for journalism in DCU yesterday? Ahh well done!

(Yeah - awww thanks :) I'm all new!)

Hah, long day eh? It's raining here, so I can't get out either -_-... can't wait for September though, it should be soooooo much better than 6th year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

good idea

Computer Applications, Software Engineering - 4th Year (of doom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

CA, Software Engineering baby, 2nd year (also year of doom ;))

and noel - you dont know how easy that degree is... 9 hours a week in first year last time i checked

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:
    CA, Software Engineering baby, 2nd year (also year of doom ;))

and noel - you dont know how easy that degree is... 9 hours a week in first year last time i checked

Haha, oh well, I'll struggle by somehow :)!

(Perhaps the murder she wrote society will absorb some more hours per week eh?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

This Should Sticky imo and mabye some more info. Anyway

Hopefully going into 3rd year Nursing. { Waits for Drunkenfools Sarcastic comment}

9 hours !!! damn i picked the wrong course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

dregin wrote:
    ZOMG, oldie.

[Jesjes btw, upstairs and too lazy to go downstairs]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Also 4th Year Software engineering.

Jeez, DCU are really letting me fall through the cracks with my 20% attendance record to lectures....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

Heading into 4th year Business Studies myself. 3 weeks til I'm finished Intra, oh the joy of it all!

• Advertisement

NoelRock wrote:
    Perhaps the murder she wrote society will absorb some more hours per week eh?

the bar will sort out them free hours for ye.... it was more than willing to oblige for me last year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Um, if this was the year 2000, I'd be going into 4th year of CA..

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Well hopefully i'll be going into 2nd year Computer Applications, (information systems) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Applied Physics - Second year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 johnjo76

Computer applications, first year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Computer Applications-1st year

Lots of Computer Apps folks here :) good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Computer Applications also. First Year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

They're taking over....

I think it does show the type of person that does that course though really, doesn't it?! :)

Anyway, hopefully 4th year DME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

God willing...

Computer Apps 2nd year (IS)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hopefully 3rd year DME, exams pending

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

Also CA 1st year, a bit worried about all these years (of doom) ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

second year of undecided...! don't know if i'm doing biotechnology or applied physics yet! but second year, eventually, yeay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

camroc wrote:
    Also CA 1st year, a bit worried about all these years (of doom) ahead!

It can't be that bad :(

its seriously hard is CA in first year, over 110 gonna from our class already i think!

dont think your in for an easy ride, and you'll just love ray walshe :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Joe5ie

CA first year - cant be that bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Joe5ie wrote:
    CA first year - cant be that bad...

well it has 53% less doom then the other years.. so i guess you could say it's not AS bad.. just wait for 3rd year.. i liked that one the MOST ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Second year *hopefully* FIONTAR.

[Computers and Business, with Applied Irish as a minor, all taught through Irish]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

4th yeah CASE

every year in CA so far was a piece of piss (especially 1st). There's such a high drop out rate in first year, not because it's hard, but because loads of people think its shít(jsut doesn't suit alot of people).

I dont even reconise half of the people in my class cos I've been there so little(go in the first two weeks of each semester then decide fúck this shít, I'll stay at home and watch some yu-gi-oh instead) and I only ever failed one subject(ended up getting compensated anyway).

• Advertisement

no chance eyebrows, you gotta start workin at some stage!

high drop out rate cause so many think "ah 300 points easy peasy" and then they meet ray walshe. couldnt believe how many dropped out this year!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

2nd year CAIS, Dave Donellan willing...

Actually, I must pop off for another repeat in about ten minutes ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

1st year CA :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

4th Year Computer Applications (Software Engineering). And CA is pretty easy.
    VinnyL wrote:
    no chance eyebrows, you gotta start workin at some stage!
    In 4th year only, assuming you want to graduate close to the top. To pass the other years (which have no effect on your final mark), a week of study (like ten hours a day, and proper study, not just looking at notes) before the exams is loads if you have any kind of aptitude for computers and a bit of enthusiasm.

The other reason for the high drop out rate is cause people are attracted to it along the lines of: "OMG!!!Computerz, I saw that movie Hackerz and I can use the Internet LOL".

Oh and Ray Walshe is great, had him as my project supervisor last year. Providing you're not pissing about in one of his lectures, he's dead sound.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

4th year CASE

It's easy to pass but not so easy to get good grades. I intend to start working this year(if it actually happens remains to be seen!)

28064212 wrote:
    To pass the other years (which have no effect on your final mark), a week of study (like ten hours a day, and proper study, not just looking at notes) before the exams is loads if you have any kind of aptitude for computers and a bit of enthusiasm.

if you fail a module or are compensated in 3 out of the 4 years, you cant get an honours degree, at least thats what i've been told!!

CA is hard, but do-able, and you get a savage degree at the end of it too!!

by the way, how are all the 1st year repeats goin for you lads - Cult, Rhyme and the like?? i heard maths was sh1t hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

VinnyL wrote:
    if you fail a module or are compensated in 3 out of the 4 years, you cant get an honours degree, at least thats what i've been told!!
    There's no mention of that in the exam regulations, sounds like bollox tbh. It is true that if you fail, repeat or compensate a module in a particular year, you can't get an honours award for that year ie. if you get compensated in one subject, the highest you can get overall (for that year) is a pass. Even if you got 100% in everything else.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

4th year business finishing intra in a couple of days...

thinking of a sarcastic comment for danger dave

so your doing nursing so you can nurse yourself during all the danger you get up to?

that was pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

28064212 wrote:
    There's no mention of that in the exam regulations, sounds like bollox tbh. It is true that if you fail, repeat or compensate a module in a particular year, you can't get an honours award for that year ie. if you get compensated in one subject, the highest you can get overall (for that year) is a pass. Even if you got 100% in everything else.

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/derogations.shtml

If it's CA - look at http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/ec_derogations.shtml
    CA (Day and Evening)
    Students are allowed up to 2 exemptions and remain eligible for honours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

thinking of a sarcastic comment for danger dave

so your doing nursing so you can nurse yourself during all the danger you get up to?

that was pathetic

Your right that was pathetic, Try harder. Side note finished last repeat yedi ye di ye ! :D time to get drunk tonite !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

3rd year Chemical & Pharmaceutical sciences. Depending on repeat exam results of course...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

Hopefully going into 4th year, SE.

1st year of CA is handy. Other years most of the subjects are easy to get a pass in. I had two repeats this year, and I was a retard to even have two repeats, I reckon, and that was only two repeats in 3 years, loads of people have a few every year.

VinnyL wrote:

CA is hard, but do-able, and you get a savage degree at the end of it too!!

by the way, how are all the 1st year repeats goin for you lads - Cult, Rhyme and the like?? i heard maths was sh1t hard!
    Yeah, I clearly failed maths, fluffed it up completely, my original summer grade will be better.

It's not that the maths is all that hard, Clancy just never taught us how to do the sort of questions that appear in the paper. My own fault really, I should have attended more tutorials and availed of the learning centre. I did pass for the leaving cert, the bump up to honours level was a bit too much for me to sail through.

cult one of the lads said in an email that he was gonna go up to clancy and say it was unfairly hard, might be worth a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Gonna do Mechatronics-1st yr, wish me luck, i hear its a tough course

VinnyL wrote:
    cult one of the lads said in an email that he was gonna go up to clancy and say it was unfairly hard, might be worth a go?
    Might indeed, if I have to leave DCU, it'll be dragged kicking and screaming :)

I really, really want to stay in college. I won't be repeating or doing another course, can't afford it. Do not pass Go do not collect Degree. Straight to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

2nd year Chemical & Pharmaceutical science, weather permitting of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 poskat

ColHol wrote:
    Gonna do Mechatronics-1st yr, wish me luck, i hear its a tough course
    mechatronics rawks ( am now third year myself)

just make sure you go to J.D's class ( electronic fundamentals), as he is a pain in the a***.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Languages for International Communication (Japanese) - 2nd year

What's with the long name, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

final year accounting and finance. dreading it, cos its gonna be awful, and cos i'll have to leave DCU after it

charba wrote:
    final year accounting and finance. dreading it, cos its gonna be awful, and cos i'll have to leave DCU after it

do a masters!

i know a load a lads in your year, they all are thinkin bout doin masters

• Advertisement
Advertisement