Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate

Options
  • 23-08-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi first message here. Im having trouble at the moment with one of my housemates and cant decide exactly what i should do about it. He is a nice enough guy, quite, into computer games and as such mosty keeps to himself in his room or stays out all night at net cafes.

The trouble at the moment is that he is giving keys to his friends to come stay at our house when he isnt there, i dont mind friends comming to stay at the house but its making me really uncomfortable to have men ive never met in my life wandering around my house late at night, especially when they are drunk. Ive taken to locking my bedroom door at night which i dont really like doing as i have an open door policy with the rest of my housemates.

Ive said it to the landlord but he is a very laid back guy and hasnt said anything to the guy in the house. I dont wanna have to persue any legal means as i really like the place i live and the relationship i have with my landlord, and i cant really say anything to the guy as he gets very aggressive with confronted.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Its a crap situation cos your housemate is way out of line. However, you don't really have many options. Either say it to the guy and get him to stop or else you move out. Unless the landlord puts his foot down there is nothing you can really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

if you don't want to confront him you could try leaving him a note.

or you could get all the others in the hosue to have a meeting with him.

sounds like a strange situation.

to be honest i did give a key to some friends once. but they were girls and the house was full of lads so there wasn't any problem. but i only did it the once.

but as said already. your only options are to confront him or move out. legally i don't think you can do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Ya like i wouldt mind at all id i knew these guys but ive never met them and they dont even bother introducing themselves to us when they come in at like 11.30 at night!!!

Ya i really feel in a sticky situation as i dont think he would react well to a house meeting at all, he has not been blessed with social graces!!!!

Maybe ill have another chat with the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Yes, I'd say there would be some legal protection for you on this. Privacy laws and property rights etc...

I think a quiet word with the landlord, or may I suggest bring a nice burly fellah home with you some evening, pretend he is your brother, and pop out for milk, whilst big brother lets yerman know that big brother isn't happy that little sis is feeling uncomfortable.
    You come back in nice as pie, and housemate none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You don't explain your renting situation. Does the landlord live there, are you renting separately or renting together?

Does the landlord live there? - If so is it largely for the landlord to lay down the line of what constitutes acceptable behavior. For the vast majority of people this would be unacceptable behavior (whatever about giving one key to a house guest / family member / other half).

Are you renting separately? - The landlord is still responsible to you for the behavior of the others.

Renting together? - Then the landlord has no real responsibility and you need to deal with it among the housemates. Get the housemates and tell the guy that its unacceptable to have random strangers (to you) there when he isn't, that they could be anybody and you wouldn't know any better. The ultimate expression of this would be having one of the guests arrested for burglary / trespass. But that is definitely going to strain things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Giving your friends keys and letting them stay over when you aren't there is completely unacceptable, unless it is explicitly arranged with your housemates in advance, and even then only if you did it once in a blue moon.

Are your other housemates of the same opinion?

Say it to him in the nicest way possible, something along the lines that you don't mind him having friends over but you would appreciate it if he didn't give them keys and made sure that he was there to keep them entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hunter S wrote:
    i cant really say anything to the guy as he gets very aggressive with confronted.
    Say this to him: "The next f*cker who I never saw before, comes in drunk, at 3am, I'll call the gardai!".

There is NO reason why you should live in fear from random strangers.

Someone said it may strain things, but I think its already strained. Random strangers coming into your house is not on.

Also, ask the landlord is the guy who is doing this allowd to sublet?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Another guy here right now!!! Ive called the landlord but he is on holida in Kerry or something. I think my other housemate is going to kill one of the random strangers, she was going to kick one out tonight but i dont think thats really fair as he prob thinks that its fine to be wandering round the house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Call the cops to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Say it your housemate and your landlord (leave messages if you have to), this time telling them that you are going to phone the guards if anyone else you don't know comes into the house. It up to them to sort it out then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

give your housemate a note in person. no need to be nasty to him, he probanly doesn't think there's a problem but be very clear that there is a problem.
    tell him that friends are allowed to stay as long as he's there with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tell your house mate straight
    you do not want strange men wandering around your house and you'll be calling the cops to say you've been broken into
    also,
    nag the landlord enough and he might do something, I suggest you call him everytime it happens, no matter what the time

Advertisement