Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is very little point in buying a mountain bike for commuting, much less one with full suspension. For your intended use I would suggest a light hybrid without suspension.

Having said that, the linked bike looks like good value if you were to get it at €300-400 delivered - if you actually want to go mountain biking on it.

I would guess that 90% assembled means that you have to stick on the pedals yourself and rotate the handlebars but you would really have to ask the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I agree with blorg, go for a hybrid - the suspension will weigh you down and the fat tyres will slow you down.

Maybe the Specialized Crossroads for e400.
    My brother-in-law bought the LaPierre Collage and is happy with it. He removed the rear carrier and dynamo lights because he didn't like the look.

Edit: Advantage of buying locally is having the dealer locally, with warranty (on new bike anway) and experience with that bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

i've decided on a mountain bike.
    its only a short commute 2 times a week so not really
    bothered about the points made ref MB vs other type

i was just interested in what people thought about the parts
    are they good quality,(ie will it last long and not need constant repairs)

any advise on where to get it assembled.

i would buy locally if i didn't feel like i was getting ripped off,
    due to the low use and quality of parts?? i'm hoping warrenty
    will not be a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I would be a little wary of this bike, simpley as its description differs from the pic, so which one will you actually get? The fork is clearly a dual crown, where the stanctions come up to the handle bars, but the description is a Single crown-full alloy suspension fork - a very different fork.
    Also overall weight of the bike will be well in excess of 30lbs, especially if the forks are dual crown. Cycling is meant to be pleasuable, but I've a feeling this will feel like a chore. It might look good but I'd reckon thats about it.
    Don't ignore the tyres, a 2.3" is just savage on the road. This a competely different to something around 1.95" or even 2.1".
    Also it might be worth noting that you cannot run normal rim brakes as the frame doesn't have the fittings.
    And then there is this that I just noticed:

# Model Type :Aluminium Full Suspension
    # Full alloy 700 C hard tail frame, fully profiled tubes

A hard tail frame does not have a back suspension unit. In fact no where in the description does it mention the rear suspension, make or model. Very suspect. I would not trust this sale.

Any shop will put it together for you but my charge a little excessively as you didn't purchase it from them. As for warranty you will find you won't have a leg to stand on.

Advertisement