Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone giogn to IT Sligo?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Yes as bizzare as it sounds, I found my perfect course in Sligo!!
    Computer Networks & Systems.

Just wondering if anyone else is hoping to go to IT Sligo, it would be nice to know some people going!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Diddle1

Hiya John cant wait 2 get 2 Sligo found my perfect course headin up 2moro(Thurs) :) lookin 4 accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Whats the course dude? Have you applied for campus accom??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SineadSligo

Aww I live in the land of Sligo!
    Fun fun town!!

Fun fun town!!

LOL hence the username?! :)

Thinkin of staying n yeats appartments how bout u?

• Advertisement

ps the course is social studies...

I'm doin Computer networks and systems. I have my deposit put down for a Single ensuite in Yeats. Are there many places left there? (the accom)

Ive heard good things about the accom, nice and clean, modern, good value etc. the only downside is they're strict about noise after 11PM (As in, blarin music with windows open...) But ive been told they dont mind 'visitors' once ppl keep civilised.

Either way it looks like the most fun student accom. for sligo IT cause its an estate type setup, as opposted to apartments

Ive bookd a single ensuite n Yeats todays dat wud be freaky if we shared a appart yeah da accmo is gud u pay €2020 on Sept 1st and €1389 in Jan

I got my registration info - its finally hit me im going to college woohoo!

Ya, itd be freaky if we were living together alright. Are you M/F? Age?
    If your not a geek (part-time nerd is fine), like to booze, like the water/cars/women (if your a girl even better!) then let me know lol

Did you get your Yeats Village info yet? I know im on the computer cause I rang them but still havent gotten my info pack - and registration is in a week!

I'm gonna go up on the Sunday night, stay in my place, register on monday, stay there monday night, then go to the induction thing on tuesday, then back to galway for a week

Yeah finally got da reg form aswell...Cant wait 2 get up 2 Sligo u no da craic and da freedom ...I douth we will be living together dey dont usually mix girls and fellas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Fun fun town!!

that better be sarcasim

danniemcq wrote:
    that better be sarcasim

Prob not, Ive heard good things about Sligo. I mean, sure its smaller than Galway but so what? It's like someone moving from Dublin to Galway thinking it'll be **** but realising its actually class when they get there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i was in ITS last year and grew up in a fishing village in donegal so i didn't really have that comparison. i did find however that Sligo spent way 2 much money on equipment for the IT than it seemed to do on lecturers. and in general most of the students complain about Sligo in general.

danniemcq wrote:
    i was in ITS last year and grew up in a fishing village in donegal so i didn't really have that comparison. i did find however that Sligo spent way 2 much money on equipment for the IT than it seemed to do on lecturers. and in general most of the students complain about Sligo in general.

Complain in what way? That theyre bored?
    Reason im looking forward to Sligo is im a real water-baby and I love the out-doors. So surfing/sub aqua/mountaineering should suffice to keep me busy. If worst comes to worst, I can always drive home as im only an hour and a half away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Complain in what way? That theyre bored?
    Reason im looking forward to Sligo is im a real water-baby and I love the out-doors. So surfing/sub aqua/mountaineering should suffice to keep me busy. If worst comes to worst, I can always drive home as im only an hour and a half away
    LMAO!!! You can tell when some1's never been to Sligo. I get to leave for NUIG in a week thankfully :D . If you do anything but go drinking after every lecture i'll be impressed.

Simi wrote:
    LMAO!!! You can tell when some1's never been to Sligo. I get to leave for NUIG in a week thankfully :D . If you do anything but go drinking after every lecture i'll be impressed.

Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Sligo's brilliant. The IT is just as good as any college in the country and the majority of the buildings are new which is great. There's loads of on campus acc. If anyone says they can't get it, they haven't looked.

Sky - Thats more like the feedback ive been getting. I'm a firm believer in the saying 'only boring people get bored'. There is plenty of campus clubs & societies which im sure will be more than adequite to keep me off the beer most days! I wonder how many places are left in Yeats Village - I have no idea whether ill be living in a full house or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Best of luck all going to the IT! About to go into my final year - BSc. In Computing (Higher) there next month. Starting my final week of mandatory work experience tomorrow.

The computing courses all got changed around after i did my cert.

basquille wrote:
    Best of luck all going to the IT! About to go into my final year - BSc. In Computing (Higher) there next month. Starting my final week of mandatory work experience tomorrow.

The computing courses all got changed around after i did my cert.

Hey there!
    Im starting SG137 (Computer systems and networks) next week. How are you finding your course? Is Michael Barrt the head of your dept? I met with him and Paul Flynn last year, really nice guys, gave me a tour of the IT and everything.

Is there much to do in Sligo/the IT? Im slightly concerned ill get bored. Are you stayin on campus accomadation?

One last question, in regards to registrationg.. Im registering on the 5th.. is the whole IT registering on this day or just the 1st years? I just wanna know whetehr to go up early or not and whether to expect long queues!!

Thanks

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hey there!
    Im starting SG137 (Computer systems and networks) next week. How are you finding your course? Is Michael Barrt the head of your dept? I met with him and Paul Flynn last year, really nice guys, gave me a tour of the IT and everything.
    It's a great course. Yep.. Paul Flynn and Michael Barrett are both really sound! Was taught Networks by Paul Flynn last year.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    Is there much to do in Sligo/the IT? Im slightly concerned ill get bored. Are you stayin on campus accomadation?
    Nope.. not staying on campus accomodation. Sligo is starting to develop quite well - a new night club due to open in a couple of weeks (i'd say). A new shopping centre and retail park for all your shopping needs. Plenty of pubs / restaurants. Pretty decent cinema. You'll get bored eventually though probably! Sligo really needs a bowling alley or something like that.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    One last question, in regards to registrationg.. Im registering on the 5th.. is the whole IT registering on this day or just the 1st years? I just wanna know whetehr to go up early or not and whether to expect long queues!!
    I'm not due back til the 12th anyways.. i've a feeling it's just first (and maybe second) years registering that day. They'll be pretty busy regardless of what time you go. You'll probably just be in for half the day anyways to register in the Aula Maxima (large hall in the IT).

Pretty basic system as far as i remember. Hand in your fees / forms at the front. There are chairs all around the sides of the Aula and you will start to progress around the Aula a seat at a time until you reach one of the registration desks.... that's the way it was when i registered. May have changed since!

Anyways, best of luck and will probably meet you around the IT during the year. Though the lab at the end of the long corridor (B1043) of computer suites is off-limits to anyone except us and the crowd in the Diploma.. so i'll probably be in there most of the time!

Anyways.. enjoy your registration!

When I went up last year, Paul brought me into one of his practical lectures. Think they were doing CCNA/CCNP, I found it really interesting... the 2 hours absolutily flew! Then myself, Paul, Michael and a woman by the name of Fiona went for Lunch. It was great, got taken into the staff canteen, everything compliments of the IT... great!

Ya never know, the charm I put on, you might be sharing your computer lab with me!

PS. Thanks for the info regarding registration. I'm registering on the 5th, having an induction class on the 6th and then starting lectures on the 12th. In regards to bordem, I have a car so I guess therll be regular trips to Strandhill for the swim!

JohnCleary wrote:
    When I went up last year, Paul brought me into one of his practical lectures. Think they were doing CCNA/CCNP, I found it really interesting... the 2 hours absolutily flew!
    Might have been there myself!
    JohnCleary wrote:
    Then myself, Paul, Michael and a woman by the name of Fiona went for Lunch. It was great, got taken into the staff canteen, everything compliments of the IT... great!
    Probably was Fiona Mitchell.. another Networks lecturer. She'll possibly be teaching you Networks in first and second year. But then again.. that sorta stuff changes every year in the IT.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    PS. Thanks for the info regarding registration. I'm registering on the 5th, having an induction class on the 6th and then starting lectures on the 12th. In regards to bordem, I have a car so I guess therll be regular trips to Strandhill for the swim!
    Induction class will be all your class nervously piling into a room and being introduced and talked to briefly by all your lecturers. Your lecturers will tell you about their particular classes and generally tell you to scrap your social life (...just kidding! :D). You should also get your timetable there and then.

Ah so thats when I get my timetable! I was told on the info sheet sent to my house that therll be an induction at the main receiption before registration? sounds like a big heap of poo to me - maybe its just briefly explaining the registration procedure?

I have registration at 10am, do you recommend I get there earlier?

Advertisement