Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless internet

Options
  • 23-08-2005 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey i just bought a laptop, was wondering if ucd have wireless in the library or anywhere. The guy in shop seemed to think they had but i don't wanna buy a card unless I can use it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jacket

Wireless access was extended across most buildings in the college last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a map here which gives the location of all the wireless hotspots in UCD.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

ESSID is WaveLAN by the way - it'll probably be the only WLAN your laptop will see. Do you still need to ask computer services to enable your MAC does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

yes you gotta go and reg your mac address, if your a comp sci student SSID in comp sci building is HedgeSchool and you also need to get comp sci sys admin to enable your mac addy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Ah no mine's a mac....what's this you have to do???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

As far as I remember you can't use it in the main library-which is great!! It would be the most useful place to have it, but UCD being UCD....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

main library might well have wireless now, it has been completely re-cabled all the summer new electronic enterance where you swipe your student card it looks well. Elle a mac address dosen't refer to it be an apple mac machine - it's simply a series of number/letters that identify your wireless card. Just bring your laptop into the laptop supprot centre and they will sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rainer

zap wrote:
    main library might well have wireless now, it has been completely re-cabled all the summer new electronic enterance where you swipe your student card it looks well. Elle a mac address dosen't refer to it be an apple mac machine - it's simply a series of number/letters that identify your wireless card. Just bring your laptop into the laptop supprot centre and they will sort you out.

what if mine is a desktop...?
    If there's no cable sockets, does that mean I hav to bring my entire desktop over? Or need I bring the card only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jacket

Red Alert wrote:
    Do you still need to ask computer services to enable your MAC does anyone know?

No, despite what the notices say you never did for wireless. Only wired access required registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

rainer wrote:
    what if mine is a desktop...?
    If there's no cable sockets, does that mean I hav to bring my entire desktop over? Or need I bring the card only?

it sounds like your pretty inexperienced with computers. your desktop computer cant be connected to a UCD internet connection unless your in UCD accomodation. People bring their laptop into college to work on essays in college or to get free broadband around the hotspots in college. As far as i know UCD does nothing for people with desktop computers at home, check around but you'll probably have to get your own internet connection with eircom or something. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of desktops in UCD for people to use, so u can work on them, put stuff on a disk, then bring it home, pretty much does the same as bringing in a laptop which can be just awkward sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Umm... Ha ha?

Anyway, first years are being given memory keys again this year. 128MB, double what the freshers got last year. Which was a whole 64MB more than we got the year before!

Pants? Me thinketh so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

jacket wrote:
    No, despite what the notices say you never did for wireless. Only wired access required registration.
    I can confirm this. I have never been near computing services with my nice shiney new laptop. I was able to connect to the wireless network in the science block fine. Network name is WaveLAN. You have to set the internet proxy to proxy.ucd.ie port 8484

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Syth wrote:
    Network name is WaveLAN. You have to set the internet proxy to proxy.ucd.ie port 8484

Network name is actaully "WaveLAN Network".

And for proxy try and use the auto config script. "http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac" helps to load balance the proxies so one doesn't get over burdened.

Oh and you'll only be able to surf web sites and access UCD mail servers. No P2P, games or Skype etc....

Ports 80, 8080 and 443 are allowed by the proxy as far as I can tell. (Seems a pretty standard install that UCD use). Netsoc's one goes to those ports too, but will also block ads for you (something which ucd's one should do as well).

Red Alert wrote:
    Ports 80, 8080 and 443 are allowed

i.e. standard ports for webpages. Incoming traffic to these ports are blocked.

sadly yes. also the VLAN's mean that P2P is not always possible even inside the college. best thing is to arm yourself with MyTunes and head over to Perk in the quinn school.

Red Alert wrote:
    Netsoc's one goes to those ports too, but will also block ads for you (something which ucd's one should do as well).
    I use Firefox and adblock for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Syth wrote:
    I can confirm this. I have never been near computing services with my nice shiney new laptop. I was able to connect to the wireless network in the science block fine. Network name is WaveLAN. You have to set the internet proxy to proxy.ucd.ie port 8484

But is this a bug or should u actually be allowed to access the wifi network before your mac address is regged?

personally i don't think you should be allowed to access network without registering. You'll have any ol person with any an virus infected laptop walking in off the street and connecting.

I think the wireless is still on a trial basis and they didn't want to put too many resources towards it. So thats why they didn't bother with any security, mac filtering etc.

I reckon in the near future, they will make it as restrictive as the wired network. But they also have to provide some access for visiting researcher/conference delgates etc. So they'll have to get a balance between security and accessibility.

irlrobins wrote:
    personally i don't think you should be allowed to access network without registering. You'll have any ol person with any an virus infected laptop walking in off the street and connecting.

I think the wireless is still on a trial basis and they didn't want to put too many resources towards it. So thats why they didn't bother with any security, mac filtering etc.

I reckon in the near future, they will make it as restrictive as the wired network. But they also have to provide some access for visiting

I thought it says on the UCD Computing web page that you will have to bring your laptop to Laptop Centre in Daedalus building before you can use your laptop in the wireless network?? They will check that you have antivirus, firewall and so on, before activating you. Has this changed?

• Advertisement

you only need to bring laptop if u want wired access. Wireless access is totally unrestricted.

Does the Main Library have their WLAN up and running now?

dunno... last i heard they were still working on it...

Sure that will be a question to ask on your library tour! ;-)

I'm 2nd year now, so I had my lib tour last yr. Will go there and ask though.

try comp services first. Your average libararian wouldn't know an wireless network if they, eh tripped over it?

(How do you trip over a wireless network????)

Anyway you know what i mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I think you're underestimating the librarians. I think they might just be smart enough to know what's been installed in their own library!

Lisapeep wrote:
    I think you're underestimating the librarians. I think they might just be smart enough to know what's been installed in their own library!

you'd think that.... but i was up yesterday getting a study room. asked for one witha network point. She said she had no idea where any network points had been installed or if they were hooked up yet....

irlrobins wrote:

It's easy to change your MAC address.

yep. but i say a lot of people wouldn't know how... its one more barrier to access.

Even WEP or WPA can be broken in a few minutes.

• Advertisement

MAC address changing isn't exactly difficult but does depend on your OS, Driver and Card. Easy to do in linux but i suspect if you were caught CS would bust your ass just to try and warn people not to.

In fairness to the library, their IT system works a **** load better than computer services' (third world) infrastructure.

Advertisement