Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why pay the USI levy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

There is not one article in the SU constitution (a document whos legitamacey also derives from the student body as only a referendum can change it) which can be even interpreted as stating that the union cannot take a stance on issues like deportation and war.

Therefore even on an objective standpoint the union is more than entitled to adopt an anti deportation or an anti war stance. But statements that the SU cannot take a stance on such issues even when there is a democratic mandate from the student population are false.

Nobody here has really suggested that UCDSU is not allowed make such statements as according to its constitution - that wasn't ever suggested.
    From my point of view, I was suggesting that while it can and it does comment on non-student-related politics, why should it? I didn't say it was illegal I said I thought it was not ideal.

I think Vainglory has already adequately explained the UCDSU's position on non student politics and their continuing willingness to participate in campaign in affairs outside of their mandate.

Legally there is nothing to stop the Irish Nurse's Organization to campaigning on something like Shannon, but why should they? Why should our union need to? Surely its a job for the various Cumainn and Political bodies in UCD not the watchdog for student welfare.

I'd like to point out that I am not in favour of the McDowell Bill, nor am I in favour of US warplanes landing in Shannon. In fact I would describe my views on modern political issues as being broadly in line with the position taken by UCDSU/ USI, and individual registered nurses. The INO has no official statement on such issues so I can't comment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Pythia wrote:
    So if I propose something which is false or extremely stupid and I get a majority vote at one of these meetings, then it will become SU policy?

Er, yeah, that's the way it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

wrote:
    I think Vainglory has already adequately explained the UCDSU's position on non student politics and their continuing willingness to participate in campaign in affairs outside of their mandate.

Why do you say "outside of their mandate" ? UCDSU's campaigning on the issues mentioned in this thread has been directly following mandate, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I know I know I know I meant "outside of their assumed role" or "remit"

Advertisement