Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Free App for transferring music from iPod to pc

• 23-08-2005 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey, been googling around for a while trying to find a good free application to transfer music over from my iPod to my PC.

All of them seem to be shareware, what's the best free one anyone's used?

Edit: Ignore, found a good free one http://www.copypod.net/index.php

Yet another Edit: OK, that'll only let me copy 100 songs before you have to buy... back to the original question :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Have you tried disk mode?

On the 3rd gen models, you reboot it (by pressing and holding down "Menu" and "Play" for a few seconds), and then when the Apple logo shows up you press and hold the "Prev" and "Next" buttons as it boots. The title bar shows "Disk Mode". Plug it in via USB or Firewire, and it mounts as a removable disk. Go to work :) To go back, just reboot it again as above.

I'm sure the same trick applies on the 4th Gen models too.

Bear in mind this only works for Windows (i.e. FAT32) formatted iPods. If it's Mac-formatted, you'll have to try something else...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

When i look at it in Disk Mode it just appears as a load of random hidden mp3 files with no names on them in the hidden music directory...

I assume there's a nice free alternative to copy pod out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

They should all be tagged (ID3), assuming the owner of the iPod in question ever bothered... and if he/she didn't, what's the point in trying to get the files off it in the first place?

There are a few ways I can think of to rename MP3s based on their ID3 tag, or simply browse them according to this information, maybe that'll work for you?

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Found this link http://www.engadget.com/entry/7166385640773718/

About to try ephPod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

ive been using ephpod for ages and it works well - there is also vpod, if you want simple no frills transfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

try ipodagent, it works well for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

iPod support software for winamp
    does the trick for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

try ilounge.com it has alot of free apps for ipod users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Copypod will let you transfer music up to 99 songs at a time.....Its only when you try and do 100+ that you get the 'you have to buy this......blah blah' So just copy them in batches of 99.

Advertisement