Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob help request - Overclocking Athlon XP 3000+

Options
  • 23-08-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie to Overclocking and I'm looking for some advice/guidance in this.

My Specs are:
    Athlon XP3000+2.167Ghz Barton CPU
    Asus A7V8X-X mobo
    1 GB (2 X 512MB) PC3200 DDR 512MB RAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO 128MB Graphics Card

I have not upgraded the BIOS since I got the system, and I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Anyhow, Can anybody suggest what type of overclocking I can do on this System with a standard setup (Heatsink that came with chip) that will be pretty stable ?

Like I said, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this, so any advice/pointers would be great !

Thanks !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

Forget m8, i have the same cpu with a similar mobo and its the worst cpu to oc with. If you're lucky u'ill get 100mhz, the only real xp to oc good 2500xp it can go all the way up to 3200xp on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Well if you cant clock your chip try your graphics card get ati tool and overclock it. Use 3dmark03 to check for tearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Your motherboard isint an overclocker friendly one at all, it has no PCI/AGP lock so when your overclocking your CPU it is also causing your PCI and AGP to run faster than they should..... means its quite limited for overclocking.

Also the Xp3000+ @ 2.167ghz is almost at the highest that the XP's go, you prob wont get any more than 100-200mhz, and it means it gets hotter.

Basically mate i wouldnt really bother with the system you have at the min, with a different motherboard you could get the ram to run a good bit faster and also mabye overclock the CPU a bit aswell.... but the Athlon XP is an old socket, i dont think its really worth investing in.

Advertisement