Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal

• 23-08-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hello,

After having become dis-illusioned with main stream metal in the last 2-3 years I gave up buying new material. However in the past few weeks I have been introduced to power metal material, especially stuff by Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, and Sonata Artica. I like this sheite, its fast, melodic and accomplished for the most part. Can anyone recommend more bands who are along the same genre. Any specific song titles, albums to look out for would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ironman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Manowar - I am sure the rest will mention others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dragonforce, and if you don't mind a bit of growly vocals, then Children Of Bodom are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Wintersun, they're like dragonforce with growling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

why not go for the classic pantera??? as a friend of mine... the legendary barry moynihan of chupacabra... says the imagery of listening to pantera is just a fist infront of your face... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Blind Guardian and Hammerfall are excellent. You should also check out Demons & Wizards, they consist of Hansi Kursh (singer) from Blind Guardian and the guitarist from Iced Earth (who you should also checkout).

Ensiferum, Freedom Call and Helloween are all worth checking out although i have only heard a few songs from each.

Helloween - Just A Little Sign and We Damn The Night
    Freedom Call - The Eyes Of The World
    Ensiferum - Lai Lai Hai

All good.

Hope you enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

children of bodom and wintersun are melodic death
    try Dark Moor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Terásbetoni are worth checking out, as well as most other bands listed, Hamemrfall are poo though imo :)
    Also look into Lost Horizon, Kamelot, and although their not all that fast, Nightwish are superb too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Rhapsody, Helloween, Stratovarius are all v good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

Symphony X are really good although they're a bit more prog than the bands mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Agree with nearly all of the bands mentioned above - only one or two I don't have..

Have a listen to any/all of the following (don't think anyone mentioned them already!) - Angra, Avantasia, Epica, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Kotipelto, Labyrinth, Primal Fear, Sinergy, Star One, Threshold - all brilliant bands...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

lol manowar....one of the greatest comedy bands ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Hey! Feel The Power Of my SWOOOOORD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Oral Slang wrote:
    Agree with nearly all of the bands mentioned above - only one or two I don't have..

Have a listen to any/all of the following (don't think anyone mentioned them already!) - Angra, Avantasia, Epica, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Kotipelto, Labyrinth, Primal Fear, Sinergy, Star One, Threshold - all brilliant bands...

epica are more goth metal than power metal. I really wouldnt put them in the same genre as Manowar, Rhapsody or Hammerfall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Oral Slang wrote:

Threshold are more progressive, very similar to Dream Theatre in their own way. Superb band too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

just go listen to ensiferum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah I know one or two of the bands I mentioned weren't exactly Power Metal, but all class all the same!

Advertisement