Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link Woe..

• 23-08-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Hi again

I'm with digiweb wireless and they provided me with a bog standard d-link ethernet cable based router when I signed up which was fine. Recently I thought I'd get the same model of router, but with wireless functionality, basically because the settings and setup would be identical as they're from the same family of d-link products. I thought it'd be easy. WRONG

The original D-Link took in my PPPoE (username/password) settings and worked fine.

The new D-Link took in my PPPoE (username/password) settings and added extra digits to the password after I had clicked apply settings AND FOR SOME REASON IT DOESN'T WORK

Anyone know why?

The model of the old d-link was DI-604

The model of the new d-link is DI-624+

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

They tend to do that as a security measure as far I'm aware, it only looks like that, nothing is actually added.

Sometimes you need to change some of the other settings as well, including the likes of maintaingin the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

afaik the VPI/VCI will be set to another countries settings

Look to change them to

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

That should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Thanks for the replies..

How do you go about changing those vpi/vci settings timtim?

btw the di-624 is not a modem as well, it's only a router, my modem is the AirSpan one that Digiweb gave me, so I guess vpi and vci are settings affiliated with just the router right?

Do you know if the AirSpan works in router mode or bridge mode?

Then I can go into more detail but need to know that first.

Hey TimTim, I'm scouring the web like a mother****er but can't find out about the specific AirSpan wipLL modem I have. Here's a pic of it though, it's the small box at the front
    Modem I have

• Advertisement

It musn't work in router mode cos my other router would conflict with it then wouldn't it? it doesn't it's fine with it

Hmm, thinking about it. I've never gone near a digiweb wireless box before so how they configure them is really beyond me.

But if you did have it working before, did you have to use a username and password to connect?

Thanks for all your help TimTim, I've decided to give up on it, I've been trying for 8 hours on and off to get it to work and if it's this hard to migrate from cable based routers to wireless (especially if they're the same brand) I can't be arsed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

This may seem stupid, and you've probably tried it, but just in case, the points at which you turn on each device actually matters, or at least it did with my dlink kit. modem, then router and so on.

Advertisement