Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 NIC in 1 PC ?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I have small network in work 4 PC's + 1 Dedicated Server all on Win 2000 Pro, I got broadband and someone said the best thing to do was to fit a 2nd NIC in one of the PC's and connect the BB into that and share the connection to the balanace of the network. I fitted the 2nd NIC in my PC but it comes up as unconnected on the menu bar and wont pick up the BB. The BB connection is working fine. My network has static IP's 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 etc etc. Has anyone any idea how i can get the BB to work on just my PC ? Tne new NIC is working but is setup to recieve an IP address and so is always the disconnected symbol on it.

Any help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

What you need to do is think about your network that your creating.
    your going to be using your Deidicated server as a router\switch\splitter for your other PC's correct?
    your networks is a private 10.0.0.0 network,so lets go from there
    Im sure your modems interface on the LAN side of your network is 10.0.0.(1)(254) either of those.
    Next the NIC that connected server to modem, manually assign that the ip of 10.0.0.5. Test your connection from Server to Modem. if this works let me know and Ill continue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't know why you would need to do something like this.
    Why don't you just connect the broadband router to your switch and make it a device on the network where device can access it.
    Maybe i'm missing something here. I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

The problem is his 2NIC in his PC\Server thats connecting the the BB Router isnt connecting so there is a problem somewhere along the way, so just troubleshooting as we go along!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well its just the way he said that he was told to stick a second nic in "Any" of the PC's made me wonder why.
    Ok OP, the router is probably default set to 192.168.0.1. You will have to temporarly set your NIC to this range to log in and then set the IP range to your 10.x.x.x one.

When you say its "unconnected" does it have an x on the connection icon. Perhaps you have a faulty cable. Even if they had a remote IP range to eachother, it should still have a connected status.

Edit: i dunno i'm getting all confused now. am i correct in saying you have DHCP on the 2nd nic. Is DHCP enabled on the router?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In windows you have to EnableIpRouting.
    In NT4 this is a tick box, on later versions it's a seperate RRAS download or a reg hack.

How do you connect to BB ?
    If you use USB then get a small switch with NAT and DHCP built in. Much safer and easier. If you already have an ethernet connection to Internet no advantage in having dual NIC's - it's not like one windows PC will protect the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

got my pc to connect to BB modem via a usb wireless adaptor - had to take out 2nd NIC, regardless how i configured the 2nd NIC i couldnt get into work - and its brand new - i will have to check it in another machine - So i have established connection on 1 PC but sharing it across network maybe tricky.
    Wireless Adptor didnt pick up an ip from the modem, so i had to set a static ip to the adaptor - thanks for advice

Advertisement