Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical

Options
  • 23-08-2005 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Could anyone advise me on what pieces to do for LC Music? I play piano and have done up to Licentiate, so that's what I hope to play. I'll probably do 4 technology and 4 piano. Does anyone have any idea on what's a good selection here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

It's good to pick pieces that show your versatility. Different styles and periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

I did 4 piano 4 drums. my 4 piano ones were:
    1) Bach - Grade 8 Piece (RIAM) - partia no. 4 aria or something
    2) Chopin - Tristesse (Etude Op.10 No.3)
    3) Mozart - A fast piece (can't remember name)
    4) Chopin - Grade 8 Piece (RIAM) - nocturne c sharp minor i think

i prob lost marks for having 2 chopin pieces, and if i could have had 1 baroque, 1 romantic, 1 mozart and 1 modern it would have been better - i was learning Mussorgsky's "Ballet Of The Chicks Still In Their Shells" but hadnt time to get it ready for practical.

my 4 drum pieces were:
    1) rock school grade 6 backing track (Ed)
    2) rock school grade 6 backing track (The Octopus)
    3) rock school grade 6 backing track (sounded like the eagles drumming..)
    4) led zepplin - dazed and confused (played with a band)

i had funk, psychadelic, slow rock, and heavy rock drumming in there, so i was happier with that choice.
    got an a2 overall.

good luck in your practicals: have fun, take LOADS of time off class!
    damn that is a long post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Red Soup wrote:
    4) Chopin - Grade 8 Piece (RIAM) - nocturne c sharp minor i think

God, I love that piece soooooooo much...did it a couple of years ago for my grade 8. Such an emotional one!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

How long did those 4 pieces take, Red Soup? Don't you have a limit of 15 minutes on the practicals or something? Also, I take it there's nothing wrong with doing 4 'classical' pieces and leaving out any modern ones?

The pieces I'd have in mind are Grade 8 standard upwards, so time might be a bit of a concern.. e.g.

Grieg - Notturno
    Mozart - Sonata in A Minor
    Liszt - Consolation No. 2 in E
    Handel - Air with Variations

Should I go for easier/shorter pieces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leemer

Wow! thats impressive! having done a diploma before the leaving. i did a piece called "the stripper" for mine and i got an A1! :D (then again it could have gone horribly wrong)Try and pick easy pieces that sound impressive but aren't going to make you really nervous to play. I'd say go for two fast and two slow and mix them all up so that its a varied programme and try and make them all different era's too. I think there is 20 marks or something going for variation. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You don't have to do something just because it's a Grade 8 standard and up. For mine, I did Moonlight (Beethoven), Scherzo (from The Piano, it was a Grade 8 piece that I did), Hero (Mariah Carey!) and The Bare Necessities (yes, from the Jungle Book!).

All in the quest for good variation, and it worked :) Scherzo was the difficult one coz it's so fast and everything, but since I nailed it in Grade 8, I figured I may as well go ahead. I was gonna do Toccata in D Minor (Bach) but I decided not to in the end (god I love that piece!)

You do need to mix it up though, if you intend to stick to all classical, then have a different extreme, like one really fast, one really slow. Or else throw in a modern piece in there somewhere - the examiner will appreciate a bit of spice after listening to loads of other candidates as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

How long did those 4 pieces take, Red Soup? Don't you have a limit of 15 minutes on the practicals or something? Also, I take it there's nothing wrong with doing 4 'classical' pieces and leaving out any modern ones?

i can't remember how we i fitted it in, the bach and mozart were really short, the two chopins kinda long, but i remember shortening dazed and confused (which is sacrelige really :D ).

go ahead and do 4 classical. i agree with the last 2 posts ^. modern pieces can be annoying!

Advertisement