Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Setup and Cabling???

• 23-08-2005 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm thinking about moving from irish broadband to Ntl and getting the Max package,

I have a question about it,

At present we have a ntl digital box in the house for the last year,
    My questions, is the cabling from the CATV which way do they connect it up,
    Because i don't want to have to run cat5's all around the house,
    I was planning on connecting the router(WRT54GS) to the rj45 port on the cable modem, and using the router for wireless access around the house.

The coax from the Catv is that connected to some kind of splitter?

Also i have seen several people who have had problems with the routers connected to the cable modem => for instance takes ages for the cable modem to recieve a ip from the dhcp server on ntls side.
    is this still the case?

Cheers lads

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

I got NTL BB a year ago and they didn't go anywhere near the digital tv box. I wanted the BB installed in a spare room upstairs so they ran a new cable outside the house and up into the room. A new wall box was mounted and connected to the modem. The installation was quick and neat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You have two options:

1) Connect to the existing TV point and use the router. They will simply add a little splitter box to the cable coming from the CATV point, with one cable going to the Digital box and the other going to the NTL modem.

2) You can get a second CATV point installed in another room such as your bedroom. This is what I got, they ran the cable up the outside of the houses side wall (well hidden), into the attic and down into my room.

With the second setupo you could also use it to recieve analoge TV or even get a second Digital TV box (which I did) the installation and rental of the second point doesn't cost anything extra.

BTW the WRT54GS should work fine with either setup, I have never experienced the DHCP problem you mentioned and I also have a wireless router (different model).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Cool cheers for the advise lads looks like i will be calling NTL today - bye bye ibb :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭SteM

Mac daddy wrote:
    I was planning on connecting the router(WRT54GS) to the rj45 port on the cable modem, and using the router for wireless access around the house.

That's the router I use with NTL BB and it works fine, I've never expirenced the DCHP issue you mentioned either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

bk wrote:
    ... they ran the cable up the outside of the houses side wall (well hidden), into the attic and down into my room.

Mine isn't well hidden. It just runs up the side of the house and straight through the wall where the new wall box is. Anyone with a garden shears could cut off my net access with a snip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Thanks for all the info guys,

Just to let the people in the Dalkey/ Glenageary area know,

I called them up yesterday to get the 3Mb package and to my suprise this side of dublin isn't covered yet i was told and they do not have any dates to when they are planning on updating but its last on the list......

So i won't be getting NTL for another while yet :o

Advertisement