Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs CSKA Sofia (scores)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

~Rebel~ wrote:
    josemi wasn't actually bad. In fact the defence itself was fairly alright ... one problem of the night was warnock and finnan not being in line with the CB's leaving people onside which from a better team would have punished us dearly. Thought Hypia and Josemi did alright together and Finnan had a fairly good game. I guess it was a chance to at least try them out without too much risk having bought josemi as a RB that could also play in center.

Good to hear that Jose Miguel Rey (Josemi) had a good game. That seems to be the consensus from most posters. The question is, as a CB, can he play a role there full-time? this season or is more grooming required?

I think I know what Benitez is at. He bought him as a full back, wanted to get rid of Finnan, forced Finnan to play right midfield and play as a winger, and Finnan did such a good job at that, and at right back, he finally realised that Finnan is better. So, for his signing, he's seeing if he can play another role in the team. Like Carra, who played right-back for years and converted to a CB, is Benitez trying to groom Rey likewise? It would seem so. I'm fine with that if Rey turns out to do a good job. I didnt see enough of last nights game (visitors over at the house) to judge.

What do you all think?

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I remember when Josemi signed they (the meeja) said he could right back or center back. I thought he did a good job there last night and should get more opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redspider wrote:
    The question is, as a CB, can he play a role there full-time? this season or is more grooming required?
    redspider

I do think he could well be good enough to play more there, but im sure about with hypia as partner. think he'd b fine with carra, but im not sure if he has enough pace to cover for hypia when he's caught by his own sluggishness. He does look quicker to turn though. Time will tell but at least its another person pushing traore down the line which should add years onto my life!

On Josemi, this really probably means absolutely nothing, but in Fifa 2003, he's absolutly quality! Last season after rafa came in i tried updating the liverpool team and found he was pretty class! I do know he was highly rated in spain as a tough tackling defender. He got caught in the premiership with his lack of pace, but at the same time i was very impressed with his first few games till his nasty blow to the head. Hopefully this year he can adapt better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

redspider wrote:
    What a poor display. ok, we dominated the game chances wise, 19 shots to their 3, and they got a goal out of the blue as our defence was asleep, but nevertheless, we failed to score.

Some say the jury is still out on Morientes, well, I'm casting my vote now. He is just not up to the grade. This is an example f Benitez making a mistake, like he did with Josemi and Nunez. He is trying it out, hoping that somehow Morientes will score many goals, but it just aint going to happen. Last night when he was running for a ball on the edge of the box, he got beaten to the ball by two defenders, however, the gods shone their luck down on him as they miraculously lashed into each other, fell on the ground and left the ball at Morientes's toe with only the goalie to beat. What an opportunity, yet he failed to capitalise.

I can understand that we need a CB. I didnt see enough of the game to know who was playing as CB last night. Was it Josemi? ie: was the back four:

Finnan - Josemi - Hyppia - Warnock

What happened with the great hope of Whitbread being a good CB? Also, dont we still have Diao who to me is a very good CB, if we bloody played him there and gave him a chance. That defensive line-up was asking for trouble. I realise we need yo keep an eye on the match on Friday, and this game was more or less sown up. But if this was the line-up, it was not a good selection. Can someone confirm it for me?

Riise got on the pitch, probably should have played on Sat, and showed why he should be in the 1st team. He was doing a Gerrard and was involved in everything.

The display shows how weak we are in terms of depth of squad. There are too many average players that just dont make the grade.

I'm not a fan of Cisse, he just doesnt have the ball control. Nor Zenden, not up to it I'm afraid. Smicer was just as good as was Biscan.

Hamann can still do a job.

Sissoko, he still needs development. He should be groomed as a replacement for Hamann. He needs to lean the cover role, and not leave that role on the shoulders of Alonso, who should be allowed to move forward and use his passing skills.

Boy, we missed Carra bad. If he gets injured .... well, say adios to any trophies .... and 4th place.

redspider

How excactly is josemi a bad signing?

Why wasnt the back four a good selection? Who would you of selected? who played poor? Sure you said you didnt even see most of the game so how can you criticise it?

Zenden has been one of our most creative players. You say we should get rid of him, then complain about the lack of squad depth. Rather strange.

Alonso wasnt playing. Sissoko's job was to get forward and help the attack. Hamann didnt do a good covering job, hes too slow at this stage.

How did we miss carra? the goal was a quickly taken freekick which i doubt he would of done much about. The rest of the chances were from full back errors. Both warnock and finnan. Josemi had a very good game compared to the rest. Hes too small to be a CB though. Only 5'9. Not tall enough.

I think cisse and crouch will be an excellent partnership if given the chance. Cisse and moro together are hopless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I have to agree Josemi played well last night. He's actually closer to six foot as well. I wouldnt say he is particularly slow either. He's a good squad player to have, but we still need another CB for the first XI.

Id rather they sold Cisse to be honest. Even though he did okay last night. He just doesnt look like he has 20+ goals in him at this level.

The big difference between him and Morientes is though, even if Morientes never scores 20+ a season, he can add other aspects to the team. He is a clever player, a creative player. Cisse on the other hand is just a runner, he has no football brain, if hes not banging in goals hes not doing anything.

While no doubt Morientes has been disappointing so far in his Liverpool career, he has a lot of talent, and he has produced at every level of the game, I still feel he is simmering and in another month or two he will hit form. I wish I could say I feel the same about Cisse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=25539

That says 6', Ive seen 5'10'' and 1.83M as well.

Still 6'0 is small. Specially considering Carra isnt the biggest either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cara is nearly 6'1"

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Josemi had no problems dealing with headers last night, he also covered finnan alot when he got caught badly out of position. I thought he looked really sharp and definately impressed me in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id rather they sold Cisse to be honest. Even though he did okay last night. He just doesnt look like he has 20+ goals in him at this level.

Id definately like to at least give him a season to see if thats the case. I know he was here last year but in fairness not really, vast majority spent a broken broken man. I do think he adds a bit more then just goals though, in the last few games he's picke out some great crosses from around the box leading to goals and goal chances.

Advertisement