Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor tax documents needed in tax office

Options
  • 23-08-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

What docs do you need if taxing a car in a tax office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Insurance Policy
    Renewal Form
    Approiate Fee
    NCT cert if applicable
    Car Registration Form(Old Tax Book)

(And a good book to read because there's always plonkers holding up the line because they have'nt the right forms.)

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You can get away without the NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Bond-007 wrote:
    What docs do you need if taxing a car in a tax office?

I'm surprised at you asking this question .......you are usually the person who answers such questions ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well I normally tax online but this time I didn't get a reminder. I haven't been to a motor tax office for years.
    murphaph wrote:
    You can get away without the NCT cert.
    Are you sure?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are you sure?

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/motor_tax_rates.html
    How to apply
    If your vehicle is new, you need a "First Motor Tax Application" form (RF 100). This is available from the motor dealer or person from whom you bought your vehicle. When you are applying for first motor tax, you must present the following documents at your local Motor Taxation Office:

Form RF 100
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Current Certificate of Insurance issued in Ireland
    Correct fee.

Two forms are available for the purpose of renewing motor tax - Motor Tax Renewal Form RF 100A and Motor Tax Renewal Form RF 100B. The only difference between these two forms is the RF 100B is a computer-printed form that is automatically posted to you about a month before your tax is due to expire, while the RF 100A is available from your local Motor Taxation Office.

Not everyone receives a form in the post, so it is up to you to keep check of when your tax expires. Both forms should be returned to your local Motor Taxation Office in person or by post. If you apply in person you will receive your new tax disc there and then. If you make a postal application, you should allow up to 3 weeks to receive your new disc. The following should accompany both forms when making an application:

Vehicle Licensing Certificate
    Current Certificate of Insurance
    National Car Test Certificate (if applicable)
    Correct fee for the period you wish to tax it for.

So:
    RF 100A Form
    Vehicle Licensing Certificate
    Current Certificate of Insurance
    National Car Test Certificate (if you car requires an nct ie. Not new) - i would imagine
    Correct fee for the period you wish to tax it for

• Advertisement

You are not asked for a nct online and I had heard that they had suspended the requirement in tax offices yonks ago. I think murphaph mangaed to tax without one? Can you confirm friend?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are you sure?
    I asked the very same question here a few weeks ago and was informed by the venerable members here that I didn't need it, and they were right, I didn't. I went to Chancery Street and the drone behind the glass never batted an eyelid about the lack of NCT cert. The bank that doesn't do withdrawals I like to call it!

Oooh, I answered as you were asking, spooky :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Apparently, the requirement to show an NCT Cert was dropped a few years ago when NCT staff went on strike (govt worried about lots of untaxed cars on the roads as a result of this strike), and it has yet to be reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bond-007 wrote:
    Well I normally tax online but this time I didn't get a reminder. I haven't been to a motor tax office for years.

Are you sure?

You might be best ringing the crowd in Shannon first about why you didn't get your renewal before queuing in the tax office. Could save yourself a long wait.

• Advertisement

I think it was becuase I changed my name on the registration docs.

I thought that all was lost until postie arrived this morning. Tax renewal form for the car. Just stuck 6 months on the old bird :D No awkward questions at tax office. [Mr. Burns]Excellent![/Mr. Burns]

Advertisement