Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up Music

Options
  • 23-08-2005 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey im goin into 6th now and need one more higher level subject. I do grades on huitar and have a good musical knowledge, do you think i should give it a go.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Yes u should definitely do it!! I just did my leaving cert and got my results this weeks r last whatever, I got an A2 in music. I took the subject up in January 2005 that’s about 4 months study. I think the main thing is u pick nice piece's for the practical that ur happy with I did piece’s from about grade 4 to 6 . Don't try and show off u'll just mess up and lose lots of marks. I got one on one grinds( don’t do music in my secondary school) from an amazing music teacher from the royal academy of music so its kinda up to who u get to teach you. But definitely go for it. I got 480 points and got my first choice B.E.S.S. if it wasn’t for music I would have got 410 and been a long way off most of my choices. Do it and put the work in and u'll easily get a B3 or more!.
    Good luck

P.S: try and get a small class r one on one grinds

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

I wholeheartedly recommend you go for it! In fact I would advise anyone who plays an instrument to sit the exam! The practical is worth 50% and it is very possible to pick up close to full marks. Also it's one of the last exams every year so you will have about a week to concentrate exclusively on music. With that it's not too tough to make up the rest of the marks required for an honour. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

defo do it.

You have to study 4 pieces "in depth". I can honestly say, i did very little for music except listen in class. Except the 2 nights i had off before the exam, i can't say i put time aside for it otherwise. In the end, i got a B1. As long as you have a previous knowledge of music (ive played the piano for ages), you will do well. You can cover %50 of the exam in the practical aswell.

So definetely do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I have a really good musical ear, and have figured out the methodology of music purely from listening to it. I've played guitar for about 4 years, but can't read notation or haven't done any grades, or lessons for that matter. I've done it all by ear and through tabs off the internet. Is there any point in me looking into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

do leaving cert music if you have the chance. great class, great craic, and you're always going to pass it anyway with 50% practical. music teachers tend to be crazy and way out, so it's always goin to be a fun class, in contrast to what some other class (maths, english, biology) get to be like towards the mocks/leaving. i know someone who didn't do lc music at all but played drums with a band in the practical and asked to be marked on it. he got 45% overall or something and used it for points for college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Cheers guys, is there anyware u would recomend to do it and should i do it weekly or watever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Make sure if you are taking up a subject yourself outside school that you tell your school's Examinations Secretary as early as possible - like before October, as they will be sending in the exam entries then.

If you are the only person in your centre doing Music (for example) and it was not planned for, it costs the school quite a bit of money to cater for just one person. Most schools WILL accommodate you, particularly if there is another exam in the centre at the same time, but they are under no obligation to do so, so make sure you let them know well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Alrite will do that wen i get back

Advertisement