Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy, no chemistry :(

Options
  • 23-08-2005 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hallo all,

I want to do pharmacy after the LC but i didnt do chemistry, would it be a major problem and what would i need to study in the Uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

well brighton is where most people seem to go in the uk to do pharmacy..

but ya need an A2 in chemistry to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You don't need chemistry to get into RCSI. You need 6 subjects including english, irish, another language, maths and a science subject - either physics, chemistry, biology or physics/chemistry. You need to get a higher level B in maths or a science subject.

It'd be hard work though, only 1 person in my year hadn't done chemistry before and he found it quite hard going, it's an important subject and we do a lot of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

uk colleges will probably have different entry requirements, you'll have to check them up yourself or get help from your guidance teacher.

tbh though you will have a *tough* time without chemistry, you should really consider getting grinds in it and/or help from someone even if it won't be an exam subject for you.

Can i ask why you want to do pharmacy yet didn't pick chemistry for the lc??? :confused:
    I know a couple of people that chose pharmacy mainly for money reasons whether real or imagined and both of them only lasted a year. You do need to have an interest and passion for the subject to do well. I'm not saying this is your reasoning for wanting to do pharmacy but make sure your degree choice is because of an interest in the subject/future career area.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Thanks for all the advice. To answer your question tribulus i didnt have a clue what i wanted to do when picked my subjects and i still dont but pharmacy was just something that stuck out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i did a common science subject in college after doin chemistry and ag science for the leavin, which meant i had to start of from scratch in physics and biolology - believe me its hard going. you'll have to put in a lot more effort than the rest of your class, but you'll be level with them after 1 year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Go to ucas.ac.uk, click search courses or somethin like that, type in pharmacy and when all the Universities that do it in UK come up click on the course, then on entry requirements, then on "tariff qualifications" or if that is not there "other qualifications" and look for the Irish LC

PS, career guidance know s**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leemer

yeah a similar thing happened to a friend of mine. She had chemistry but she couldn't get a place in queens cause she only had it to leaving cert. They wanted A level chemistry and wouldn't accept her on that. :mad: Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

leemer wrote:
    yeah a similar thing happened to a friend of mine. She had chemistry but she couldn't get a place in queens cause she only had it to leaving cert. They wanted A level chemistry and wouldn't accept her on that. :mad: Good luck!

In my view Queens hold a type of Unionist superiority theory over us, they don't believe our education is of correct standard even though most other UK universities accept it. Just go to England, Scotland or Wales, let the bigots keep their siege mentality and let them hope Ian will ride in on a white horse to expel all Nationalists from "Ulster" and save the day (unlikely I think!)

Advertisement