Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football on Setanta Ireland - query

• 23-08-2005 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,331 ✭✭✭✭

I see the man Utd game is on live on Setanta Ireland tomorrow night. Is this a PPV channel?
    I know the other Setanta Sports channels are PPV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Yes its PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

It's a subscription channel on Sky Digital and included in the basic package on NTL Dublin as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is this the only channel that the United game is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Yeah... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah well, just have to go to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,331 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is this the only channel that the United game is on?

Thats a disgrace if its the only place to view it. I hope that this is not a sign of things to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

You don't need to go to the pub.........

Once you have Basic NTL installed you get Setanta for free.....its only on Sky Digital you must pay for it.........

They are also showing the Everton Game at 9.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

muffler wrote:
    Thats a disgrace if its the only place to view it. I hope that this is not a sign of things to come

If Setanta didn't show it then no one else would probably considering that United are 3-0 up from the first leg. As has been mentioned Setanta Sports is free on analogue NTL so a lot of people will be able to see the game for free.

They don't have any rights to chow the CL proper so you'll be able to see those games on RTE/Sky Sports.

Gkelly2002 wrote:
    You don't need to go to the pub.........

Once you have Basic NTL installed you get Setanta for free.....its only on Sky Digital you must pay for it.........

They are also showing the Everton Game at 9.30

Just free in Dublin, strange as it may seem there are people here who are not from Dublin, including the guy that posted that he'd have to go to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The match is live on Channel Five as well, if you have a UK free to view card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

moshpit77 wrote:
    Just free in Dublin, strange as it may seem there are people here who are not from Dublin, including the guy that posted that he'd have to go to the pub

Setanta is free on NTL MMDS Digital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is life and NTL outside Dublin - cable and mmds account for most of the eastern half of the country.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Setanta isnt worth a subscription. i wonder how many actually subscribe to it on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Setanta isnt worth a subscription. i wonder how many actually subscribe to it on Sky
    Just done a bit of googling as I was interested too.
    The agreement with Sky means that Setanta Sports will now reach in excess of 500,000 homes in the Republic, plus approximately 150,000 homes in Northern Ireland.
    http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/page/7f5f41986a26fea580256fe4002fb42a?open&pageid=323656e68456863f80256eef005d0b59&

and then this:
    Previously called Cablelink, NTL Ireland has over 340,000 customers in Dublin, Waterford and Galway and was purchased by NTL Group in 1999 for around £533m (€680m). As Cablelink, the business was run as a joint venture between RTE and Eircom (Telecom Eireann).

more up to date link:
    Previously called Cablelink, NTL Ireland has over 340,000 customers in Dublin, Waterford and Galway and was purchased by NTL Group in 1999 for around £533m (€680m). As Cablelink, the business was run as a joint venture between RTE and Eircom (Telecom Eireann).
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/13/ntl_sale_rumours/

500,000 - 340,000 = 160,000.

A lot higher than I expected. I presume Everyone in the North with Setanta are also paying for it?

They've also got a lot of customers in the rest of the UK (mainly Scotland with the SPL coverage) and they also get Setanta Ireland with their package of 5 Setanta channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i have ntl digital. Great little channel.

reach in excess of 500,000. that still doesnt say how many people subscribe on Sky. only how many could if they wanted.

it is too expensive, shows a lot of repeated ****e, has crap bonus channels, and the 12 month minimum contract is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anyone got a stream for this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So the football is only on setanta and Channel 5 uk?

you can also see it live on RTL Klub and TPS Foot
    both encrypted on Astra 1

Duna TV on Hotbird will be showing it delayed FTA at 9.40pm

I need a way of seeing it without interferring with the dish.

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote:
    Anyone got a stream for this game?

PPLive 'football' channel apparently

Mossy Monk wrote:
    reach in excess of 500,000. that still doesnt say how many people subscribe on Sky. only how many could if they wanted.
    I thought I worked that out. :) Since NTL has 340,000 customers, I assume the other 160,000 are with Sky.

While Setanta does have a lot of repeats, I'm subscribed to Sky Sports and watch it probably no more than Setanta. Actually, just looking at both Schedules for the rest of the week I'd probably prefer Setanta's.

Debrecen v Man Utd
    Villarreal v Everton
    Spurs v Chelsea
    Dunfermline v Celtic
    Juventus v Chievo
    SPL Highlights (already watched)
    Golazo: Football Magazine (already watched)
    French League Highlights
    German League Highlights

I'd watch all those shows if I was watching TV. Then there's also live sports like Golf and Formula 1 and some classic Ireland matches from decades ago.

The shows Sky fill in their daytime schedule are usually crap anyway.

Damn you sky!!!!! Damn you!!!
    I get Sky Sports and they show none of the Champions League qualifiers.

Also why aren't they showing a premiership match tonight?

moshpit77 wrote:
    PPLive 'football' channel apparently
    Showing the Arsenal match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Setanta is just a terrible terrible station, look at that quality, its terrible.

Expand a bit more PHB...

There was just a substition, which Setanta didn't show, but didn't report either.
    ****ing joke.
    They realised when I did that Richardson had come on.
    Furthermore they just said that Fletcher is now a right back, which is just stupid, considering what is actually happening is Brown going to right back and Heinze into the centre, after Neville got injured, but come on.

Not ot mention the picture quality isn't good either.

If the picture quality is poor its to do with your TV/Cable.
    Their pictures are streamed from another station so if the substitution doesn't come up on the screen its not Setanta's fault.
    The commentators may be poor but so are every set of commentators on Irish TV.

You have to remember that this match is in Hungary. The TV companies in Hungary are not going to be top class so the camera work will not be brilliant. No matter what channel is showing this game, its all the same.

The setanta commentator just said:

"Heinze is a fantastic player, I'd like to see him used in the United back 4 more often"

---

I understand that Setanta don't use the TV station, but they themselves have made some very unprofessional mistakes.
    First off, they had the pre match commentary going on till literally the last second, and couldn't get their commentators to stop.
    Secondly, the reason you have commentators at the match is so they can see everything aswell as our feed, so they could say, hey look theres a sub they ain't showing.

Thirdly, RTE and TV3 aren't this bad at commentary

• Advertisement

So their commentators are bad. Hardly a "terrible terrible station, look at that quality, its terrible".

BTW - You do realise who you're listening to?

sure hasnt tony worked for tv3 before?

I'm not listening to the Setanta commentary but I doubt Cascarino is any worse than Kevin Moran was for Sky when Ireland played Italy. Still, I don't understand how the likes of Moran, Stapleton, Cascarino, etc. can get commentary jobs.

I'm sorry, I have a terrible quality screen right now.
    I also have perfect quality on every single other channel besides Setanta, and its back to perfect now the match is over.
    That said, I'm a quality whore.
    ---
    Commentaters are perhaps the biggest aspect of sports coverage, so if its bad, the station looks very bad in return.

sure RTe have stuck with george for over 20 years.

that says it all.

They use George for everything. He's there bitch!!!

He even commentated on Rugby last year in the six nations FFS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PHB wrote:
    I'm sorry, I have a terrible quality screen right now.
    I also have perfect quality on every single other channel besides Setanta, and its back to perfect now the match is over.
    I must admit I have noticed poorer picture quality from Setanta and Celtic TV etc recently too. It's not very noticeable but their picture is a little fuzzier than say Sky Sports. It's as if, by having their extra channels, the picture quality of all of them has dipped a little.

Advertisement