Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

continuity errors or confusions.

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone find any continuity errors in the books so far, or confusing or unfinished plot elements.

one little one thats bugging me.

-At one point in Goblet of Fire, Moody takes the Marauder map off harry
    -He still has it at the end when he is unmasked.
    -Snape, Dumbledore and McGonegal are all in the room with Harry.
    -Theres no mention (from what i can remember) of harry taking the map back.

How does he have it in the next book? Surely even dumbledore would be against him having the map. And Snape would defitnally not let him have it. Taking in all the parinoia protection over harry in the next book you think dumbledore wouldnt allow harry a map that showed him where his hidden protectors were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

JK Rowling has admitted to the error herself in one of the interviews I've read online or on her website, could've been in the mugglenet interview?

She explained this later by saying that Harry went back to Moody's office and got the map back before going back to the Dursleys...

There have been a number of these type of things:

The prefect badge Ron got was gold and red and described to have been the exact same as the one Percy used to wear though if you check back to the first book Percy's was actually silver...

In Philosopher's Stone Hagrid tells Harry that James and Lily were Head Boy and Head Girl. However in Order of the Phoenix, Sirrius tells us that James wasn't a prefect in fifth year. So unless you can become head boy without being a prefect first (though I guess we'll find out in book 7 if Harry is head boy) this would be a continuity error too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Did anyone else ever find it strange that noone in the history of magic, has ever died for someone else before? I mean, lily can't have been the only mother attacked by Voldemort, and then in all the time magic has been around before that? It just seems unlikely.

JK Rowling talked about this before. She even included the scene about Voldemort giving Lily a chance to live, to step aside and be saved to try and make the point that one had to choose to die for someone else in this fashion, not merely (poor word for such a noble act but I can't come up with a better one) do it out of instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Sleepy wrote:
    In Philosopher's Stone Hagrid tells Harry that James and Lily were Head Boy and Head Girl. However in Order of the Phoenix, Sirrius tells us that James wasn't a prefect in fifth year. So unless you can become head boy without being a prefect first (though I guess we'll find out in book 7 if Harry is head boy) this would be a continuity error too...

'Tis possible that something like being Quidditch captain is seen as another viable route to Head-Boy-ship.

Though in all the books, have there ever been two Head students? I mean, was there a Head Girl there at the same time Percy was Head Boy? 'Cause James and Lily were in the same year, and it seems odd that other years appear to only have had one Head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

I've always taken it as given that there were both a Head Boy and a Head Girl, you could be right about the Quidditch captain thing, person who I have no idea who you are.............................

<CLICK> :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Very smooth. But really Sleepy, do you not think that NO ONE EVER chose to die for someone else to save their life? EVER? (I know that using capitols doesn't make my point more valid, I'm just sceptical)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

I think he meant it as more of a deliberate, thought out choice, rather than a diving in front of a bullet, spur of the moment type thing. I agree with your point and I dont see the difference personally, but Im sure Sleepy does and thats what I think he meant.

I do see a difference between the two alright Jade_Chihuahua (in fact there's a discussion on this over in Humanities at the moment),

That said, Flashling, I agree with you, it's not a very good answer!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm just wondering, was there any mention of non-verbal spells before HBP? Because you would have thought that non-verbal spellcasting would have been useful at times such as the Dark Mark being cast in the woods after the Quidditch World Cup, or when the Death Eaters were fighting the DA in the Department of Mysteries

I *think* we saw Dumbledore perform some of them in minor ways before (lighting candles etc) and I suppose one could say that Apparition is a form of non-verbal spell.

I don't think they were ever explicitly referred to though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The infamous "Wand Order" error.

Read the first edition of Goblet of Fire, at the part where all the shadows of dead people come out of the wand James comes out first but considering the most recent deaths come out first and Lily was killed after James Lily should have come out first.

It's revised in later editions :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Dumbledore and Voldemort used non-verbal spells in their duel, Sirius and Lupin use a non-verbal spell to turn Scabbers into Pettigrew, Quirrell ties up Harry without saying anything... there are loads more in there i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

slightly off the point .........about harry being head boy because of being the Quid captain.....will they even be returning to hogwarts? i got the impression from the last book that they werent going back - that they would live in Sirus's house?! sorry for going off the point!

and yeah there is a head boy and head girl! it is mentioned in the 'goblet of fire'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

bp wrote:
    slightly off the point .........about harry being head boy because of being the Quid captain.....will they even be returning to hogwarts? i got the impression from the last book that they werent going back - that they would live in Sirus's house?! sorry for going off the point!

I meant that could've been how James got to be Head Boy even though he was never a Prefect. Definitely can't see them going back to Hogwarts in the next book, or at least, not going back as students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

ah yeah i would say that it is defo how James became head boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

gotta love these pedantic threads! just shows everyone has a finicky side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

lily probably casted a spell to seve harry but it reacted with avada kavada which is why harry survived.

Advertisement