Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death - Human

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Released in 1991

Chuck Schuldiner - Guitar & Vocals
    Paul Masvidal - Guitar
    Steve DiGiorgio - Bass
    Sean Reinert - Drums

The background to the inspiration behind and creation of this album goes a long way to explaining the ferocity of the music within. In the liner notes Chuck finishes his list of thanks with "This is much more than a record to me; it is a statement, it is revenge."

Death had imploded as a band in late 1990, immediatley prior to a European tour. Chuck, seeking to expand on the technical aspect of the fequently maligned Spiritual Healing album had grown frustrated with the abilities of his band and the recent departure of guitarist James Murphy. He refused to tour and bassist Terry Butler and drummer Bill Andrews toured under the name Death with guitar roadie Walter Trachsler on guitar and Louie Carrisalez on vocals. This completely soured already strained relationships, not helped by his former bandmates circulating rumours Chuck was in an insane asylum/starting a glam band.

With his reputation tarnished and no band to call upon, Chuck enlisted the finest musicians he could to help him realise his vision. From unsigned Florida band Cynic came guitarist Paul Masvidal and drummer Sean Reinert and from the established Sadus came bassist Steve DiGiorgio. Together they set about taking Chuck's music to an unprecedented level of techical ability and brutality.

The album starts off with swelling drums which herald the arrival of Flattening Of Emotions. Immediately the progress made since Spiritual Healing is astounding and after 45 seconds the song explodes into the most aggressive riffage Death had released at that time. Most impressive is the drumming of Sean Reinert, whose creativity and accuracy has yet to be equalled. Just listen very closely to the bass drum patterns during Masvidal's guitar solo to hear a master at work. The next couple of songs, Suicide Machine and Together As One further highlight the immense capability of the musicians involved and the creative freedom to express themselves afforded to them by Schuldiner. However, despite the greater levels of musicianship, the songs are not spoiled by overplaying. Despite many odd time sequences and time and tempo changes the songs flow freely, there is a groove to the whole thing which is infectious which helps keep the songs interesting without being intimidating. Secret Face lyrically seems to be where Schuldiner addresses the recent events in his life. Indeed the lines

"Vulnerable through trust,
    Life is a twisted maze of obstacles
    Presented by people with a secret face
    "

seem to deal directly with his betrayal by former bandmates. In an album noted for is musical aggression Lack Of Comprehension still stands out for it's sheer intensity. A mellow intro serves to build tension before the song erupts into the most blistering few minutes of music Schuldiner would ever write. His wisdom in choosing the musicians he did is especially highlighted in this song which is as impressive as a performance as it is a piece of music. See Through Dreams continues the assualt before Cosmic Sea, possibly the song most influenced by Masvidal and Reinert's direction in Cynic and certainly the most fusion-based song to ever appear on a Death album, explores instrumental avenues which at the time had been unheard of on a Metal album. Here each musician is given time to shine, notably the fluid fretless bass of DiGiorgio. The album closes with Vacant Planets, again a showpiece of incredible musicianship and supreme songwriting.

To fully appreciate this album, you must listen to what preceded it. The growth in under two years from the basic but impressive Spritual Healing to Human is astonishing. With 34 minutes of music Schuldiner answered every critic and rival who doubted his ability or commitment. 14 years after it's release and the album still sounds exciting and every listen reveals another subtle nuance. Schuldiner would write more classic music before his tragic demise on 13th of December 2001 but nothing would match the intensity and sheer bloody-mindedness which fueled the truly groundbreaking Human. At a time in his life when his back was to the wall and he had everything to prove, Schuldiner delivered and silenced those who doubted him. This one album uncovered new paths for Metal in terms of diversity, ferocity and technicality, it opened the door for entire sub-genres. Human has yet to be equalled, let alone surpassed.

5/5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Absolutely phenominal review there DoctorJ. Makes me want to whip out Human and give it a solid week long spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

;)

*nods in satisfied approval*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kind of makes me want to buy it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Absolutely phenominal review there DoctorJ. Makes me want to whip out Human and give it a solid week long spin.

Been listening to it all day. Damn I love the drumming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've been trying so hard to get into Death but I just cant seem to.
    Like they're great and all but,I dunno something doesn't 'click' for me.

Good review though, and Steve DiGiorgio is a god on bass. (oh and I prefer Richard Christy to Sean Reinert :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Boo! Hiss!

Good review, although i would give it 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Slurms wrote:
    (oh and I prefer Richard Christy to Sean Reinert :p)

Hey, let's not forget Gene "The Machine" Hoglan! :D
    Supposedly he filled in for Martin Lopez at a moments notice for Opeth's recent US tour because Lopez had to go back to Sweden to have some blood disease treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Good review, although i would give it 4

then may your genitals sprout wings and fly off on you :)

- Human deserves a minimum of 5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

it's been around 10 years since I've given this a spin. thanks for the reminder. what a classic ! the drums are incredible

Advertisement