Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance quandry

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

ok so i'm selling my micra and have just bought a toyota corolla
    and pretty much everyone told me that going up to a 1.4 litre from a 1 litre would hike up my insurance as i'm only on a pprovisional license however what has materialised is that my insurance has gone down by almost 30 euro per month !!!!!!!
    they said (quinn direct that going to a newer vehicle ie micra was a 95 to a 01 was the rason for the reduction - weird noone sems to get this and the guy at dealership who is a friend of mine was dumbfounded
    just wondering if anyone else has experienced this ?

my insurance stats

driving only 2 months provisional license holder
    aged 28
    based in d 6w/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

There is no logic to the insurance prices in this country. They pull the prices out of mid air. How can they quote you one price then drop a few hundred euros to match another price, unless the price originally quoted was fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

stevejazzx wrote:
    ok so i'm selling my micra and have just bought a toyota corolla
    and pretty much everyone told me that going up to a 1.4 litre from a 1 litre would hike up my insurance as i'm only on a pprovisional license however what has materialised is that my insurance has gone by almost 30 euro per month !!!!!!!
    they said (quinn direct that going to a newer vehicle ie micra was a 95 to a 01 was the rason fpr the reduction - weird noone sems to get this and the guy at dealership who is a friend of mine was dumbfounded
    just wondering if anyone else has experienced this ?

my insurance stats

driving only 2 months provisional license holder
    aged 28
    based in d 6w/12

30 extra per month is 360 for the year. IMO, that is not a huge amount to pay to go from a 1 litre 1995 micra to a 1.4l 2001 Astra, especially for someone with what seems like very little driving experience - I can't really see what the problem is.

Also, did you wait until you got the car before you got quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

sorry text was missing a word its 30 cheaper per month

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

stevejazzx wrote:
    sorry text was missing a word its 30 cheaper per month

Wow - that's not bad going. Even if the car is safer (ABS etc), I would have thought the bigger engine, and the fact you are on a provisional would still keep the price higher. You gotta be happy about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

In theory, probably more learners and younger drivers drive micras. Plus a new car would have better safely features and and better security, locks, immobliser, alarm than an older car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

yeah confused though my policy is 1520 now per year
    i know guys pretty much same spec as me paying over 2 grand with qdirect cant figure it out it does genuinely seem that they can be flexible with threr prices

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In theory, probably more learners and younger drivers drive micras. Plus a new car would have better safely features and and better security, locks, immobliser, alarm than an older car.
    That's what I'm thinking. Smaller low-risk cars, like Micras and Puntos may be rated slighty higher on the risk-o-meter (an imaginary scientific scale that all insurers use) than larger low risk cars like the corolla, simply because more high-risk drivers drive the smaller vehicles.
    It's a paradox, but you can kind of see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This happened me as well and the reason is this Insurance companies do not like to insure cars than are ten years or more. If you read the terms and conditions most insurance companies are fussy about ten year old cars.

Three yr old cars seem to be the cheapest option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

It has to do with what you put the cars value down as.
    It's cheaper to insure a car worth €5000 than it is to insure a car worth €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

commited wrote:
    It has to do with what you put the cars value down as.
    It's cheaper to insure a car worth €5000 than it is to insure a car worth €1000.

Play around with the Quinn Direct website and you'll find it's significantly cheaper to insure a car worth €2001 than it is to insure a car worth €2000. It would be interesting to do some research into all of their value thresholds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Oh Boy!

alias no.9 wrote:
    Play around with the Quinn Direct website and you'll find it's significantly cheaper to insure a car worth €2001 than it is to insure a car worth €2000. It would be interesting to do some research into all of their value thresholds.

And if you value it at €4001 it'll go down again. It's coz our underwriters think that lower value cars are a higher risk, (they tend to be possibly not taken care of as much as newer, more valuable cars.) So tip of the day, for a cheaper quote on an older car, value it at €4500 when calling Quinn Direct!

By the way, Its nothing to do with ABS, airbags, alarms or any of the other above mentioned things. Just the value. You may notice we don't ask those other things when you ring in.

Advertisement