Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting reinterpretation of the Mario series

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

11244850699531zo9mg.jpg
    A wonderful piece of art in its own right, but it does raise one very interesting question.

I wonder what a Mario game based in this world (as opposed to the overly-cutesy style of the series) would play like? I'd like to see it tried, myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It would be cool, but a plumber doesn't quite match with an epic dark adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

screw the cutesy mario crap im sick of it cause they milk it. it would be great to see a darker mario game tbh. obviously theyd have to keep that kinda magical element to it but still.

I like this piece of art. Princess peach looks kinky! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that indeed looks amazing and i myself would love to see that happen [although it wont] maybe a 3d enviornment in a 2d view [like dukenukem in manhattan]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow...that looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

That pic rawks.
    Mario looks REALLY fat though (well moreso than usual).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose nobody remembers the awfulness of the post apocalyptic nightmare of the Mario Bros. film.

I really don't think a dark mario game would work. A much darker zelda game on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There was no Mario Film..../jedi mind trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

american macgee's super mario brothers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jaggeh wrote:
    american macgee's super mario brothers :)

:)

Nice picture. But I don't think it'd spawn a game worthwhile of all we hold Mario to.

Still though....interesting picture, princess....looking good!

Mario Bros Film....jesus christ. I know someone who thought it was brilliant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Were did you get that from it looks good.

I really don't think a dark mario game would work. A much darker zelda game on the other hand....

Or a much darker metroid game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why must everyone want "darker" games? What's wrong with sunshine & goodness?? Nintendo's games are "cutesy" because they make us a little happier in this horrid world.

... that and it sells better to kids.
    Still, Pokémon rocks! ^_^

because darker games sell better to adults, and we have more money than kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

And the kids that played mario....are now adults.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaggeh wrote:
    because darker games sell better to adults, and we have more money than kids.

I'd never let cutesy graphics put me off buying a great game. Anyone who is put off deserves to be playing crap like (do not) Enter the Matrix and dead to rights. I pity the poor souls put off from playing Katamri Damacry.

I think a darker mario game would be laughable. Mario is better the way it is, like a crazy LSD trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Prefer Mario the way it is tbh. It just wouldnt be the same.

honestly i wouldnt mind a fresh take on it, you can still have the cutesy mario games for kids and people who like that type of thing. but a darker game for adults in the style of an american macgee game would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'd never let cutesy graphics put me off buying a great game. Anyone who is put off deserves to be playing crap like (do not) Enter the Matrix and dead to rights. I pity the poor souls put off from playing Katamri Damacry.

I think a darker mario game would be laughable. Mario is better the way it is, like a crazy LSD trip.

what has everyone got against enter the matrix (apart from being hastilly put together and a crappy combat system :D ) i really enjoyed it, mainly for telling the story behind the film

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

evad_lhorg wrote:
    screw the cutesy mario crap im sick of it cause they milk it. it would be great to see a darker mario game tbh. obviously theyd have to keep that kinda magical element to it but still.
    Look up Wario. Looks like Mario, except he's the evil version, or something.

What I would fear is that if it was much darker would it still be mario? Never liked Alice at all. Seemed a little dark for the sake of it as well.

Wario is still a bit cutesy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I think it's an interesting idea that could work brilliantly if done right, but as someone said it couldn't be dark for the sake of it. Funnily enough, I seem to remember reading an interview with Shiggy ages ago where he said something along the lines of the next Mario game having a more mature/adult appeal so I guess you never know

• Advertisement

madrab wrote:
    what has everyone got against enter the matrix (apart from being hastilly put together and a crappy combat system :D ) i really enjoyed it, mainly for telling the story behind the film
    I think everyone hated it for the fact that it sold so well when it should've deserved a fate worse than the ATARI E.T. cartridges ; and denying other, better games the sales they deserved.
    That and every second magazine whored themselves out to ATARI to promote the game.

Then again, they (the magazines) did the same with Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (Angel of Crapness, more like). And Driv3r (worst spelling ever. worst driving game ever. Oh, and another ATARI game).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

In that dark world of Mario its kinda easy to dodge the plant creature yokes in the sewer pipes, just walk around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

A dark mario game would be amazing.

Was i the only one freaked out by Mario 2 on the NES? That was kinda dark!

I wouldn't mind a skankier princess peach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It could be an interesting experiment... Metroid has always been fairly dark (for a Nintendo game anyway) and the N64 Zelda games your done in a realistic sort of way compared to the earlier / later ones. And look how they turned out. There will always be a place for cutesy Mario, but a once off experiment couldn't do any harm... could it????

On that topic, doesnt the new Mario Bros. on the DS look seriously brilliant? :cool:

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I wouldn't mind a skankier princess peach.
    Seconded. We all want to see the Princess' curves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Might not work as a whole game...but could it work as only a piece of a mario game?

Remember how Mario64 had the paintings for each level. Well how would you feel that the next mario game had it that some (Star obviously) object got broken into hunderd little objects (stars...) and with them mario's world was divided up into different states of reality, and he has to travel through the game reclaiming these stars. Each star would change the entire world (bad guys, characters, level design) to a certain reality and in that reality Mario would have different moves (for example in the above dark one he would prob be a wrestler or hit people with his wrench but not as agile) and when each star is recovered he can go back to earlier levels and use it to get to new places or find secrets. So the game would originally be its normal cute self, but it can be changed to a darker world with one star, or a game boy spinech coloured world next.

now to a question.

What other veriations could be made to the mario world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Might not work as a whole game...but could it work as only a piece of a mario game?

Remember how Mario64 had the paintings for each level. Well how would you feel that the next mario game had it that some (Star obviously) object got broken into hunderd little objects (stars...) and with them mario's world was divided up into different states of reality, and he has to travel through the game reclaiming these stars. Each star would change the entire world (bad guys, characters, level design) to a certain reality and in that reality Mario would have different moves (for example in the above dark one he would prob be a wrestler or hit people with his wrench but not as agile) and when each star is recovered he can go back to earlier levels and use it to get to new places or find secrets. So the game would originally be its normal cute self, but it can be changed to a darker world with one star, or a game boy spinech coloured world next.

now to a question.

would be quite interesting, also you could have that wierd mario2 world

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    :D SUPER BABY MARIO!!! :D

On that note, remember in Yoshi's Island, you'd touch those puff-balls and go "drunk"? I'd like to see that in 3D! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

People like Mario games. They don't actually like the characters that much. Nintendo need to stop shoe horning him into baseball, tennis, golf, DDR, snowboarding. It's total overkill.

Advertisement