Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vinyl Player

• 23-08-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a quick query. I'm interested in buying a couple of 7 inch vinyl records of some of my favourite bands. The thing is, I have no idea how much a piece of equipment to play these would cost, or where I would get one. I'm completely ignorant on the matter.

I'd be grateful if you could give me a rough run-down of how much I should expect to pay, and maybe where I could start looking. I'm not interested in anything fancy or with extras...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You can still buy record players new tbh.... Have a look around Richer Sounds/peats, other big retailers.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

your best bet would be to stick your head into a DJ shop and pick up a lower spec DJ Turntable with a good head on it. as the quality of these will be much greater than your average Argos/cheapo player. recently i picked up 2 Numark Turntables and a mixer for 120 Euro. I only really needed 1 for playing records as my old one is broken but at that price it was a mistake to pass it up. now i have 2 record players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What are you plugging it into? you cant just plug a DJ turntable into a HiFi, you will need a pre-amp (or mixer) to power the signal. Some domestic Turntables have them built in, but check before buying, The ones in Argos are not the worst, but if you get to like Vinyl and you will, buying decent one would be better, If you can afford it, buy a DJ one and a small pre-amp/mixer and at least then you can upgrade each part later.

Sean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

bombidol wrote:
    your best bet would be to stick your head into a DJ shop and pick up a lower spec DJ Turntable with a good head on it. as the quality of these will be much greater than your average Argos/cheapo player. recently i picked up 2 Numark Turntables and a mixer for 120 Euro. I only really needed 1 for playing records as my old one is broken but at that price it was a mistake to pass it up. now i have 2 record players

I don't know how true this is, but I heard that DJ turntables tend to have heads with very thin needles as these are easier to scratch with, but are pretty poor as far as lastability goes.
    I need a new turntable myself, the one I have in anchient and is a bastard to get playing properly, I saw a beauty of a retro style player in Tower the other day, was expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Just buy something like a stanton 500 Head which isnt designed for scratching. its just a standard size good quality needle. also cheaper than a scratching head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Check out http://www.elpj.com/ for a vinly player that needs no needle, it uses a laser instead.
    The only drawback is price: your first born.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gamblor166

bugler wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have a quick query. I'm interested in buying a couple of 7 inch vinyl records of some of my favourite bands. The thing is, I have no idea how much a piece of equipment to play these would cost, or where I would get one. I'm completely ignorant on the matter.

I'd be grateful if you could give me a rough run-down of how much I should expect to pay, and maybe where I could start looking. I'm not interested in anything fancy or with extras...

you should go to malplin they have one that connects straight to your pc.. 150 or so..

jah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Find a digital source of the music you want and give the whole vinyl thing a miss. A lot cheaper than buying a turntable and all the other bits you might need.

Advertisement