Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elm Park...

• 23-08-2005 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

What's this place like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, you pay for what you get tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

Is the place as bad as the stories that are going around about it? Myself and 2 friend have gotten a house there - a lot better than any of the other dumps we saw there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

afaik, the stories would be true

eg. a room with a galvanise sheet as a partition in a room...

but you can get a nice place there. Hope yours is nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Elm Park was a kip when I was at UL many, many years ago, but some of the houses are in much better condition than others, so it may be ok. The estate is pretty noisy but very close to UL, and the craic can be good there, it's almost entirely student houses, so lots of parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Some of the houses there don't conform to any building codes, so it's not the place to be if you're a fan of, say, insulation during the winter. Some houses are better than others, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PaulMcG wrote:
    Is the place as bad as the stories that are going around about it?
    Five or ten years ago, undoubtedly yes. Very few nice or even acceptable houses there. These days, it depends on whether you look around or not. Given that you reckon you've found a nice house there, I assume you looked around (or just got lucky). There are still some awful kips up in Elm Park though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

I lived there last year and thought it was grand. I've see some houses there that are literally close to collasping (boys mostly seemed to live in those!) but ours was fairly decent. We were away from the main road through too so it wasnt that noisey at night, there was that quiet hour or two between the lodge opening and closing in which it was best to try get to sleep! Loads of house parties nearly every week, and being so close to superquinn and the hurlers is mighty.

You wouldnt want to be an overly private person though cos the walls aren't exactly sound proof (one of my roomates had really loud sex that we all got to enjoy!) and if u open doors to hard the handle has a tendancy to go through the wall but other than that ours was ok. If you get a good house in the place take it cos its definately not as bad as people make out. The red brick ones tend to be the nicest actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

natter wrote:
    I lived there last year and thought it was grand. I've see some houses there that are literally close to collasping (boys mostly seemed to live in those!) but ours was fairly decent. We were away from the main road through too so it wasnt that noisey at night, there was that quiet hour or two between the lodge opening and closing in which it was best to try get to sleep! Loads of house parties nearly every week, and being so close to superquinn and the hurlers is mighty.

You wouldnt want to be an overly private person though cos the walls aren't exactly sound proof (one of my roomates had really loud sex that we all got to enjoy!) and if u open doors to hard the handle has a tendancy to go through the wall but other than that ours was ok. If you get a good house in the place take it cos its definately not as bad as people make out. The red brick ones tend to be the nicest actually.

Wasnt there an old rumour about how one of the houses near the front, 2 classes of enginners where living side by side, and they stratigically cut down non supporting rafters from the roof for fire wood, and bust a dividing wall between two houses!!!!. Thats about 10 years ago!. Its was pure student ville!, and it was close enough to UL, but we were in the schumann so it was a nice trek..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

hahahahahaahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha Elm Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

tred wrote:
    Wasnt there an old rumour about how one of the houses near the front, 2 classes of enginners where living side by side, and they stratigically cut down non supporting rafters from the roof for fire wood, and bust a dividing wall between two houses!!!!. Thats about 10 years ago!. Its was pure student ville!, and it was close enough to UL, but we were in the schumann so it was a nice trek..

I heard about the seperation wall being removed too - thought it happened when I was there though - gone about 2 years now.

And dragging couch on to the flat roof in the summer and drinking there for the day!!

Oh the good auld days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement