Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up Physics for 6th year

Options
  • 23-08-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

It looks like I have to do physics in 6th year as I need it for Architecture in UCD. I won't be doing it in class and will most likely be doing it at Ordinary level since I purely need a pass. I suppose I'll have to get one on one grinds or something since I won't be doing it in school. Am I insane? I got a B in JC Science from studying the night before, so I'm alright at it. OL Physics can't be that hard can it? BTW I'm aiming for an A1 in Higher Maths which should help me along the way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well, there's not much difference between ordinary and higher physics in the leaving, tbh. The main difference is that with ordinary, you're given the formulae that you need, along with the question, whereas in higher you have to learn them. If you don't need physics for points, then I guess go for ordinary, otherwise go for higher.

Get some a set of exam papers at the start of the year, read the thing at the start that lists all the mandatory experiments, graphs, formulae, etc., and write them all out seperately on A4 sheets, nicely diagramed and labelled and laid out. It's very handy to have something you can go and look at without having to go through your huge book.

Learn all the definitons too... Go through each chapter and write out each definiton, learning it as you go. Again, have them all written out neatly, cos it's handy to have.

As for the formulae, if you're learning them... try and relate them to whatever experiment they originated from, or definition that describes them.

"Momentum is the product of the mass and velocity of an object"

So, P = mv

I know that's a simple example, but alot of them are like that, so take advantage, it could be one formula or one definition you don't have to memorise.

I don't really have much else to say! lol. I hated physics, mainly cos my teacher was terrible and a b*tch. Is the course not changing after this year? If it is, maybe disregard everything I said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I definitely think it's manageable. Check first though, is ordinary level sufficient? Some courses specify you need subjects at higher level. I loved physics, imo it's easy to do well in if you put in the work. Do they teach physics at your school? Let the teacher know you plan on studying it on your own and they'll more than likely offer to help with anything you're having trouble understanding. Doing higher level maths is helpful but not necessary, for the most part all you need to be able to do is substitute into formulae.

And no, the physics course is new, it was only examined for the 4th time this year. It's a lovely course I thought so enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

go for it. you've missed a whole year of funktastic expermiments, though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Don't worry about the experiments or the lab copy... Our teacher filled us with fear until we thought the boogieman was coming to fail us if we didn't have a perfect lab copy... of course, he DIDN'T, and my brother told me that when he was in school, his teacher was crap, so they didn't even do a lab copy at all! So, don't worry about it too much. If by chance someone comes to look at them, just say you lost it... yesterday, lol. You won't even lose marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Miley

Its 5 years since I did the LC but I definately think its possible to do well in ordinary level physics with 1 years study. I had a crap teacher and did nothing until easter in 6th year and still managed a B in higher level. Keep doing the exam papers and you should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If you are good at Honours Maths, and have done Junior Cert Science, and have the motivation to work hard, you will be well able for Physics, especially if you do not need to give yourself the added pressure of trying for Higher Level.

Nothing to do with what sort of teachers you have or haven't got, it's up to you, and you have all the factors needed to do well. If there is a Physics teacher in your school, you could maybe arrange with him/her to take a look at practice questions you answer, just to make sure you're on the right track.

Make sure you inform your school's Examinations Secretary in plenty of time that you intend to sit Physics - ideally about October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Alright cheers for all the info. Picking up the past papers is definitely a good idea - hadn't thought of it though.

What about experiments? The fact that I won't be doing any and won't have any done for the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Funkstard wrote:
    What about experiments? The fact that I won't be doing any and won't have any done for the LC?

You can learn them from the book. Doing them doesn't really enhance your understanding, just a chance to mess around with batteries, bulbs, retort stands and mirrors tbh!

Make sure you find out which ones are the mandatory ones (it'll be marked in the book) and learn them inside out and upside down, you have to answer questions on them in section A of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It is possible. Go way and do it. There was a link here before for the experiments in a PDF file which was quite good. I'll get it once i go home. Know them and you've covered 30% of paper. Its a dos if you know your stuff, no hard working out or anything.

If Physics is done in your school, or there is a teacher who has an interest in it, you might be able to arrange a couple of sessions after or before school to run through the mandatory experiments. It really makes a huge difference in recalling to actually have done something rather than just read about it.

If you behave in a mature way about covering your Physics course alone, and the teachers can see you are serious about it, I'm sure they will make lots of arrangements to help you out. The real sickener for any teacher is to arrange extra help or classes and then for people to either not show up, show up late, or treat it all as a joke.

Sounds to me like you are serious about it all, and if you contact a teacher in your school as soon as you go back, outlining your plans for study, completing past papers, doing experiments etc., and asking for some help or guidance, I am sure they will be delighted to help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

The bad thing is the physics teacher in my school is an absolute joke. 90% of her sixth year class will be in grinds, and she just breaks down crying in every class because she can't control it. In my brothers year some of the students had to finish off problems for her because she couldn't do them. I seriously doubt how much help she'll be

Well in all honesty, students of nearly 18 years of age who have to be 'controlled' are not what I would call mature or motivated. See how she reacts to you on your own. You may be surprised, that given a chance, and working with one person, she might be very helpful.
    Can't do any harm to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You should be able to do it, I was in a one on one situation for learning physics last year and I got all but 7 chapters of the higher level course done. So it's definatly possible if you put the work in.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

good luck to ya. All i can say is if ur interested in the subject u'll do fine. I droped it after a year. I wanted it to do radiography in ucd but i then changed my mind and now im goin to do nursing in ul. Gots to have a good head for figures, i think really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

i really wouldnt advise anyone to start learning a subject on their own at home with the intention of sitting it for the leaving cert. i got an a1 in physics and it was purely cos of my teacher, although i worked hard at it. it was he who told me to learn formulae and explain them instead of learning unnecessarily exhaustive definitions, it was he who explained the method of answering expt. questions instead of assuming the book knows all.... if youre only looking to pass the subject it could be different, but in physics especially i found the book (real world physics) to be inadequate and to be honest doing it at home could well be more trouble than its worth...

Advertisement