Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Campus Acc...

Options
  • 23-08-2005 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Well, I got my place in Arts in NUIM and I'm off in September to live on campus. I just wanna know what's the rules about having guests stay over, are they strict on that? And noise/parties at night?

Is there internet connection in the apartments? broadband?

What do I need to bring with me when I move in?

I'm sure I have loads more questions, but thats enough for now. Thanks in advance and I'll see ye there!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fairylove wrote:
    Well, I got my place in Arts in NUIM and I'm off in September to live on campus. I just wanna know what's the rules about having guests stay over, are they strict on that? And noise/parties at night?

Is there internet connection in the apartments? broadband?

What do I need to bring with me when I move in?

I'm sure I have loads more questions, but thats enough for now. Thanks in advance and I'll see ye there!

first off congrats.

apartments are strict-ish as in they say 'no guests' (or at least used to) but it's not like they'll call round and check ever. Parties as long as they aren't loud enough for security to hear you'll be grand.

Good internet connection

Bring a Towel

There are many many many many many many more wonderful questions

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Off topic, but what Arts subjects are you going to pick, Fairylove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Fairylove, what month did you apply for on-campus?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What building are you in?

If it's one of the River Apartments, then they're not strict on guests staying over but the are about parties and having the place spotless for inspection.

Bring all the stuff you would to irish college. Remember a sheet for your bed. I forgot that one. Pots, pans etc. included.

And you'll have good internet connection in River.

If your in village the you wont have internet, I hear they're stricter on guests, but I dunno how they'd find out, but you can be a bit messier.

The Rye, I believe there's internet. Ive seen the messiest apartments ever passing inspection and they seem more laid back about parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I just got campus as well.
    Wont know exactly where until 4 or 5 more days though.
    Are gaming ports blocked on the network? If so, I might leave my computer at home and just bring my notebook.

How often are inspections?

What happens if they find you with a crate of bulmers and some chicks sleeping on your couch?(hypothetical situation)

etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Persiula

Did everyone else starting first year who applied for on campus get it except me?! They told me in the residence office I was at the very bottom of the list and hadn't a hope of getting it... Can't find anywhere to live now!!

You'll find somewhere, I've to look around for somewhere to live as well.

Ah yeah I'm sure I will, it's just that i spent 10 hours going round Maynooth on Tuesday! Won't be able to get a day off work til week after next to get up again, do you think there's much accommodation round apart from the list from the residence office? I found the women in there SO unhelpful!

I think I've just got one...try www.daft.ie there's loads there!
    (Just don't go for mine!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fairylove

*marie* wrote:
    Off topic, but what Arts subjects are you going to pick, Fairylove?

I definitely want to do psychology, I was a few points short for the direct entry course, so I'll do it through arts. I think I'll do anthroplogy as well and I haven't decided on a third, maybe economics or french. What are you picking?

• Advertisement

I applied for on campus acc back in March. I put down the River Apartments on the form, does that actually matter when they're assigning acc or will they just put me anywhere?

K, this is a really shallow question, but what t.v. channels is there? And is there a t.v. in the apartments actually?

fairylove wrote:
    I definitely want to do psychology, I was a few points short for the direct entry course, so I'll do it through arts. I think I'll do anthroplogy as well and I haven't decided on a third, maybe economics or french. What are you picking?

I'm going to do psychology too, and German, but I'm not sure what 3rd subject yet. Maybe Spanish...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Doing Psych, German and not sure what else.

Ok, I'm so annoyed about the campus thing. I applied, and have eventually been told I've gotten it. But one of the women in charge of the office hinted to me that it might not be the best accomodation, which makes me think I've gotten Rye Hall. I was told I'd be better off living in a hedge than in Rye Hall by Maynooth peeps, so think I'm gonna head up house hunting tomorrow, just in case. It's quite badly organised that we have to wait to find out until next week.

Seems the only hope of getting a house though is if there's a group together tho.

fairylove wrote:
    I applied for on campus acc back in March. I put down the River Apartments on the form, does that actually matter when they're assigning acc or will they just put me anywhere?

K, this is a really shallow question, but what t.v. channels is there? And is there a t.v. in the apartments actually?

Not sure about the putting you anywhere thing. Two years in a row I didn't saw any preferance and Ive gotten River.

I know people who are very happy in Rye and Village apts too, so dont be too quick to go look elsewhere. You'll be glad to live there when there's so much going on in the Students Union at night and you've only a short trip home. Living out beyond Super Valu can be a nightmare at times. Unless you plan on going out in the village.

For the TV thing. Im in River, but I think they're all the same and I have bout 20 channels. Sky One, News and Sports, Channel 4, Irish channels, MTV, Cartoon Network, and some foreign ones.

Any other questions??

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I just got campus as well.
    Wont know exactly where until 4 or 5 more days though.
    Are gaming ports blocked on the network? If so, I might leave my computer at home and just bring my notebook.

How often are inspections?

What happens if they find you with a crate of bulmers and some chicks sleeping on your couch?(hypothetical situation)

etc

Inspections are bout twice a year and you get lots of notice (like two week).
    Im sure that'll be enough time to get those 'chicks' out.
    And they dont care about the Bulmers. Tis not Irish College!! You're allowed have things grown ups have.
    Cept if youre one of those people who like to collect old cans, they'll have to go.

*Roisin* wrote:

Seems the only hope of getting a house though is if there's a group together tho.

Yeah if you're going looking for a house try to get a few people together cos I know I'm finding it difficult to get a place when I'm looking on my own... Can't get a single roomk, and no landlords will take me into a twin room without having someone organised to share with. I'd say take on campus no matter which one it is for convenience sake! Save yourself the hassle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Ya i rang like every number for a single room on those sheets you get in the residence office and there all gone since the bloody things have been out since May!! I would have got a twin room but i dont know anyone else goin to NUIM. Anyways I booked into some Divine Word hostel thing for my first month before i get to know people and can get a house. Rooms seem ok for the 1st month in there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Yeh I`ve had no luck either. I was really shocked when I heard I did`nt get campus. A rep came to our school and said it was pretty much gaurenteed if you applied as everyone got a place last year who applied. Apparently there are 100 more 1st years than last year.

I`ve PM`d everyone here who has been having a little trouble finding a place with my name and number if they need anyone to share as by looking at Daft.ie you need a few people with you too move in.

Found a house today! First place I rang and seems perfect so really happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

I remember applying for Acc soon after I got my cao details/the date you were supposed to start applying and I got a place, though I don't know where. I said on my form that I didn't care what age group I was put with, does this affect things much? Do they put all the first years into similar types of accomadtion? Just wondering..

• Advertisement

Got River! Go team!

When do we find out where we're going to be living etc? Do they send out letters?

And do the college send out info about starting dates, registration, basically everything we need to know about starting college, cos I'm a bit clueless right now.......

They're posting it out Wednesday

*Roisin* wrote:
    They're posting it out Wednesday

Aw...and I still thought I might have a chance of getting it. Ah well thanks to Roisin I might just be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

dont worry, the college will post everything out to you. i hope ye get nice apartments, some of campus is rotten.

Beau wrote:
    Aw...and I still thought I might have a chance of getting it. Ah well thanks to Roisin I might just be ok!

Ya owe me a drink when we get there! ;)

*Roisin* wrote:
    Ya owe me a drink when we get there! ;)

Yeh definatley.

Well its not all sorted just yet, we hit a setback today but sure I`m sure we`ll find somehwere.

I got a place in Rye Hall. Sounds ok, going to pray I get the en-suite room. I wonder what excuse I could use to nab it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

i think rye hall are supposed to be okay aren't they?? river are the best apparently. don't know which ones are the worst, can't remember the name. don't think it's rye hall though so you're safe ;)

• Advertisement

Lilly81 wrote:
    i think rye hall are supposed to be okay aren't they?? river are the best apparently. don't know which ones are the worst, can't remember the name. don't think it's rye hall though so you're safe ;)
    I know that's what I thought "At least it's relatively new and I don't have to share with some psychotic type or worse some one who likes whingey singer songwriters."

Advertisement