Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused over TV Purchase for RTE in NI

• 23-08-2005 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm going to purchase a new tv any day now and one thing that puzzles me is RTE.

I live less than 3 miles from Brougher Mountain in Trillick, NI and over the years I have purchased TV's with dual band if thats the correct term so I can use VHF.

There are so many nice tvs on offer especially Plasma etc or even a normal analogue widescreen TV but finding out if they use VHF is very difficult.

I can use my Sky Digital for RTE but I want to use a non-sky method of picking up RTE etc so the Sky can be free for other viewing.

What can I do, I'm I able to use a digital tv to pick it up if I opted for one of those or are the RTE channels aired on UHF now?

I'd love to go out tomorrow and buy a new megabig TV and still be able to pick RTE up but I'm sadly stuck in a hole. :(

Any help on this would be appreciated.

L.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

couldnt you ask a salesman/saleswoman if the tv has VHF? :confused:

failing that .
    you could simply ask them to switch on the display model and use the tuner to see if it has a VHF band...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Darkness

Mossy Monk wrote:
    couldnt you ask a salesman/saleswoman if the tv has VHF? :confused:

Not as simple as it seems. They don't know is their reply. The shops that do give a response i.e. yes it does have VHF are let down by the price. And it seems that model of TV is not about in other shops...

Are their certain brands that do VHF that I should concentrate on or avoid such as Sony cause I have jet to see a sony tv with VHF.

The search goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

couldn't you use a vcr to pickup rte on vhf and then tune the tv into that, or use a scart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

The best thing to do is go south for a telly... think of the money you'd make on the exchange rate! But then, everything down south is overpriced anyway (or maybe its just food according to TV3! LOL)

Failing that you could go to an online store and look for models that have both... then if you really want to buy from a store you'll have no problem. Look - I found one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=154504&Trail=C%24cip%3D28956.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24Brand%3DPhilips.Philips%3EC%24Screen+Size+%28inches%29%3D32.32&categoryId=28956&clickfrom=name

Hope this helps! Happy hunting!

• Advertisement

Thats actually one of the TV's on my shortlist. I want to see what else there was on offer before jumping in.

If a nice Plasma TV caught my eye, well most of them do but if I wanted to purchase one then I'd be in a tricky situation regarding VHF.

Video option is possible but when you have someone in the house that says, why can't I have RTE 1 when I press 5 on the remote :rolleyes:

Is there a digital RTE transmission that one could pick up via digital tv or set top box?

Cheers for the info given so far.

plenty of Sony's down south with VHF

what is the price difference between tv's over the border. with the strong sterling i would have assumed you'd be better off going south

Am I correct in saying the TV's down south are VHF and UHF?

If thats the case, I'll take a look around later this week when I cross over to fill the jeep with diesel.

Cheers guys.

well there is a lot of people down here still picking up RTÉ on VHF and cable networks still have loads of channels on VHF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Darkness wrote:
    Am I correct in saying the TV's down south are VHF and UHF?

If thats the case, I'll take a look around later this week when I cross over to fill the jeep with diesel.

Cheers guys.

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Hi Darkness.

I'm from Fintona myself. The better dealers in around Omagh and Enniskillen (i.e. the independents, not the likes of Currys etc.) should know if a TV they sell has a VHF tuner. Aside from that the best way to look is to look at the manufacturer's websites - quite often they'll be a printed manual around there usually as a PDF which should have the specifications.

RTÉ currently doesn't broadcast via digital terrestial from Truskmore (which everyone in Trillick seems to get terrestial RTÉ from) yet, at the most optomistic it'll start with something sometime next year. No one really knows for certain yet.

Advertisement