Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Horizons

Options
  • 23-08-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Horizons, and I suppose other people could ask questions in here too.

Is it mandatory, or can a person just do their degree? Can I do just one extra module or do I need to do both or neither?

Are they alot of extra work? I'm looking at doing a module, "introduction to comparative politics", but I'm afraid I'll have to read a tonne of books and do loads of essays...! Is there a chance that there's no work for this, it's just a series of lectures that I can go to if I find them interesting? :p

I know this is the first year so there'll probably be no answers to these, but I figured it was worth a shot! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

everyone coming into first year has to do horizons and as far as i know you gotta take both free electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You're really asking the wrong people here. Hardly anyone that's already in UCD actually knows what the deal is with horizons. We werent really told.

But you should ask Vainglory, she should be able to help you out.

Oh and on that introduction to comparative politics thing, I assume that's the same as the course we did last year in 1st politics. If it is, it's easy enough, all you really need to know is the nation-state. Good old Garvin and his predictibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hey, just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Horizons, and I suppose other people could ask questions in here too.

Is it mandatory, or can a person just do their degree? Can I do just one extra module or do I need to do both or neither?

Are they alot of extra work? I'm looking at doing a module, "introduction to comparative politics", but I'm afraid I'll have to read a tonne of books and do loads of essays...! Is there a chance that there's no work for this, it's just a series of lectures that I can go to if I find them interesting? :p

I know this is the first year so there'll probably be no answers to these, but I figured it was worth a shot! Thanks
    What's stopping you from just going to the lectures? Just don't sign up for it and try just going to the lectures. I did that last year. Went to a bunch of the 'History and Philosophy of Science' lectures, even though I wasn't techinally in the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Do you continue with the horizon programme after first year or do you just take the electives for the whole of your degree course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

You do 12 modules in each year, and 2 of these CAN be from areas outside your chosen degree, but they don't HAVE to be. It is entirely up to you.

You will be able to pick different modules in the second semester of first year, in the first semester of second year etc etc. The choices you make this September aren't going to stick with you for the full duration of your degree. Unless you want them to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement