Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules Question

• 24-08-2005 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but would someone explain when they say 1st&10, or 3rd&2 what does the 10 and 2 for example stand for? is it the yards they have gained?

I know the first number is the number of plays before they get to the first down marker. Is the always 3 downs before they must kick possesion away?

I'm just watching the dvd of Ohio State Vs Miami in the 2003 fiesta bowl, its ment to be one of the best college games ever played. 7-17 so far!!

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh the first number is the play.

i think they have three but i'm not sure.

the figure after the 1st 2nd 3rd, is the amount of yards they have to make.

it will always be first and ten.

they have to make the ten yards within the three downs otherwise they turn pocession over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yeah Cremo is nearly right, the first number is the amount of Downs, the second is the amount of yards the ball has to travel. You have four downs to get the ball 10 yards then the it goes back to first down and ten yards.

Generally a team will only use three downs to activly move the ball as if you dont make the 10 yards the posession goes to the other team after the 4th down so 4th down is usually just used to punt or go for a field goal

Hope this helps im not the best at explaining things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Agreed, you suck at this keith.

Though youre right this time, strangely enough.

I saw that game a while back, some entertaining stuff to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Thats great, thanks guys. I thought it was something like that alright. Its a game i have always loved watching and if i was close to a team i'd love to play. I think galway would be the nearest team, are they any good? And is it alright just to join a team even if your a complete beginner and only know it by watching? I am sure alot of the yanks that work in ireland play for these teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Theres actually a lot less americans playing than you would think, maybe 2 or 3 per team, limerick get a few americans coming over to study at UL to play for them so they would have the most.

• Advertisement
Advertisement