Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the price of amd cpus

Options
  • 24-08-2005 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

anyone find it hard to upgrade because of the crazy prices of amd chips? ok ok i know their are pentiums , but i prefer amds (dont want this to turn into intel vs amd )

currently using an athlon 3000,
    but come xmas im liking the xp4000 at the mo ,
    anyone using the xp 4000 or fx 55, or x2 chips?
    if so whats your opinion of these new cpus and are they worth upgrading?!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

magick wrote:
    anyone find it hard to upgrade because of the crazy prices of amd chips? ok ok i know their are pentiums , but i prefer amds (dont want this to turn into intel vs amd )

currently using an athlon 3000,
    but come xmas im liking the xp4000 at the mo ,
    anyone using the xp 4000 or fx 55, or x2 chips?
    if so whats your opinion of these new cpus and are they worth upgrading?!

But those listed are all the high end chips and meant for the rich enthusiast. A 3500 is E230 or so, and the X2 3800 is E390.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Are you using an Athlon64 3000+ or an AthlonXP 3000+ ?

Cos if it's the latter of course it's going to be expensive to move up to the latest gen of AMD CPU's.

The 4000+ (rebadged and locked FX-53) and the FX-55/57 and higher end X2's are meant for people who don't mind spending money to get the latest and greatest, and are priced accordingly.
    Why not overclock a cheaper processor to those speeds intead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Also if you are into overclocking the X2 will be difficult compared to the single core processors. Check reviews to see the profromance you will get from a new chip and compared them to your own. I personally would find it hard to justify paying the current rate for those processors iam be upgrading my harddrive space and ram before considering going to upgrade my chip and i only have a wee XP2500 barton.

Advertisement