Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB rep coming to my office today

• 24-08-2005 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi

I work in an IT company in CityWest and there is a rep from Irish Broadband coming to offer the staff a special deal on broaband. I have copied the following from a PDF that we received from them showing the products and prices. I was just wondering what IBB are like now and if these prices are any good? From looking through the boards IBB seem to be getting a battering. Is this still the case? From what I can tell these prices are Ex VAT so it appears to be the business products.

Any help welcome.

Incredible prices – Incredible bandwidth – No one else offers such high bandwidth at such an affordable price!
    Product Connection Monthly Fee Contract Download Limits Speeds Contention Ratio
    Breeze 2MB €149.00 €40.00 12 Months Unlimited 2MB/2MB 24:1
    Breeze 3MB Lite €149.00 €70.00 12 Months Unlimited 3MB/3MB 24:1
    Breeze 3MB €149.00 €135.00 12 Months Unlimited 3MB/3MB 12:1
    Breeze 4MB Lite €149.00 €159.00 12 Months Unlimited 4MB/4MB 24:1
    Breeze 4MB €149.00 €250.00 12 Months Unlimited 4MB/4MB 8:1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There's no distinction between residential or business products and those are their normal prices ex VAT. IBB are still as useless as ever and would not be an ISP I would sign up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

My adivce to you is to stay away. Listen to what is being said in the multitude of discussions in this forum

However, if you still decide to go with them, agree in writing that you will terminate contract and payment if they don't live up to their part of the contract. Everything might be fine for a month or two but until they really upgrade their backhaul and overcome their other issues, I reckon in the second or third month you will see a huge decline in service. If you get that decline, do not email. They will not respond. Phone them and give them the benefit. Then resort to letters.

There is a big IT company in Citywest that have now refused to put IBB into their customer sites because they are so unreliable. I'm sure that this is not your company but it begs the question why you are even considering it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Print out a few of the IBB threads and pin them to the door. If he comes in after reading that he'll deserve a cup of tea for the pair of balls on him. Or her, as the case may be.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

excellent, thats the best suggestion ive heard in some time lol. priceless indeed, make sure thats a size 32 font roflmao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

dahamsta wrote:
    Print out a few of the IBB threads and pin them to the door. If he comes in after reading that he'll deserve a cup of tea for the pair of balls on him. Or her, as the case may be.

adam
    Do it! I'd love to know what they'd say after reading that. Personally, i wouldn't continue the service, except i've got nowhere else to go that offers an uncapped service and more than 256kbps upload. If Smart were to enable the Ballyboden exchange, i'd switch as soon as i could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Incredible bandwidth – No one else offers such high bandwidth at such an affordable price!

lol, I see they still have their sense of humour in IBB.

Adey2002 wrote:
    lol, I see they still have their sense of humour in IBB.
    Nah, they do offer a very competively priced service. Nowhere else does offer such good upload/download speeds at such good prices. The only thing is that you'll never be able to reach the advertised speed reliably with IBB. ;)

Of course, the reason why anyone would go for any package above the 2meg one eludes me. Would it not be much better value to get 2x2meg services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

OK, I just spoke to the poor rep! I didn't get a chance to print off any of the threads!

They are offering to waive the connection fee of 149EUR + VAT. He gave the usual story that it is an amazing offer, however I mentioned that I had been on Boards to check them out and the general feeling was that IBB were at the bottom of the BB providers (below even Eircon) and that I had heard that most people that had it have been complaining and wouldn't recommend the service to anyone. He eventually gave in and said that in March/April they took on a large number of new subscribers that they couldn't handle and that there were a few problems but now they have installed more high sites and that the issue is resolved.

I went on to question the lack of a download limit and the contention ratio of 24:1. I asked what if someone is constantly downloading via P2P how would that affect my speeds. He said that they have never come across this as being an issue!

Anyway, needless to say I won't be availing of their amazing offer just yet. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I went on to question the lack of a download limit and the contention ratio of 24:1. I asked what if someone is constantly downloading via P2P how would that affect my speeds. He said that they have never come across this as being an issue!

Now thats a blatant lie!!!

Can you really trust someone who says that P2P/Torrent users who download massive amounts of data every month have no effect on a network that IBB operate?

zuma wrote:
    Now thats a blatant lie!!!

Can you really trust someone who says that P2P/Torrent users who download massive amounts of data every month have no effect on a network that IBB operate?

Agreed. On a contended service, p2p/Torrent WILL have an impact on other users sharing that pipe. This is why I don't like p2p and tend to over-react to p2p threads in boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

OK, I just spoke to the poor rep! I didn't get a chance to print off any of the threads!

For a business product that contention ratio is pretty harsh. Most *DSL business products are typically 1:1. Frankly the p2p aspect is unlikely to affect your speeds, certainly not as much as the fact that they are pitching the same 24:1 product to everyone else in CityWest, not letting capacity limits stop them from taking on new subscribers. Watch your DSL be fully contended during business hours, with serious traffic like Linux distro DLs, large app DLs, s/w development and heavy internet use from all the IT companies around there.

P2P hasn't been an issue for IBB, because many users haven't got past the hideous packet loss problems in order to use it significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

sharingan wrote:
    For a business product that contention ratio is pretty harsh. Most *DSL business products are typically 1:1. Frankly the p2p aspect is unlikely to affect your speeds, certainly not as much as the fact that they are pitching the same 24:1 product to everyone else in CityWest, not letting capacity limits stop them from taking on new subscribers. Watch your DSL be fully contended during business hours, with serious traffic like Linux distro DLs, large app DLs, s/w development and heavy internet use from all the IT companies around there.

P2P hasn't been an issue for IBB, because many users haven't got past the hideous packet loss problems in order to use it significantly.

I am actually living in Lucan and have NTL's BB. I was just wondering what they had on offer and from what I am hearing there is no point in making the change in the near future. I always assumed that constant P2P/Bit Torrent would affect others due to contention; whats the point of a contention ratio then? :confused:

whats the point of a contention ratio then? :confused:

It saves money for the provider. They put 24 people onto each connection, instead of giving everyone their one individual connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jacket

sharingan wrote:
    For a business product that contention ratio is pretty harsh. Most *DSL business products are typically 1:1.

No. 1:1 is called a leased line, they cost (if memory serves) 10,000e a year for 64/64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

jacket wrote:
    No. 1:1 is called a leased line, they cost (if memory serves) 10,000e a year for 64/64.

1:1 DSL is not a leased line!

A leased line is permanent telephone connection between two points set up by a telecommunications common carrier examples of which are T1 and T3(T1's bundled together).

I have not heard of 1:1 DSL but I do know of 1:4 and 1:8 but 1:1 should be possible but as already stated...very expensive!

Leased line generally means "dedicated bandwidth". I.e. 1:1. No home user will ever be offered that, as it is a complete waste of money from an ISP's point of view. All services will always be contended for home users for the forseeable future, but just because they are contended doesn't mean we should get such **** service from IBB. All other providers supply a damn reliable contended service.

Advertisement