Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At the Pixies Gig?

• 24-08-2005 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone at the Pixies gig? Post what you thought of it here.

I thought it was a decent gig but for some reason I preferred them at the Pheonix park (with the Chillies). I also was dissapointed that they only played a one song encore and that they didn't play Valouria.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I was walking within hearing distance of lansdowne road when they were playing debaser, I nearly melted!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i loved it, thought it was an equal to the gig last year, while prob not a good a set list (due to the number of songs played last year) and also i think last year was louder... but i still think this gig rocked like a mother****er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

I think for me last year sounded better but that was only because it was my first time seeing the Pixies.Have to say I thought they played a damn good set.I liked the way they started off slowly and then really got on with the fast and loud songs. They still rocked socks and I just can't complain about anything it was all fantabulous!I thought it was sweet at the end with the whole "goodnight kim,goodnight Charles " Awww....I love the pixies

KOL,were damn good too...I liked the way they played a good mix of both albums...and they're all sooo good looking! Good sound for both bands and a lovely friendly crowd.I didn't want it to end!
    BTW-Didn't Kim Deal look so different with her hair cut!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Despite the fact that the Pixies played "wave of mutilation" twice and the drummer from KOL looked like he was bored out of his tree, I had a pretty good time. However the crowd near where my mate was got pretty rough, and his friend lost a tooth-not something I'd expect from a Pixies gig...

When they played "Hey" & "broken face" , that was my night made.....

As for Kim Deal's haircut, she reminded me of a middle aged mother from the country, bit different from the last gig, still "rocked out" though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

great gig 60-70% full felt packed nearer the front!

Played a great gig (only knew some of their songs), crowd loved it. Went mainly to see Kings of Leon, and they were brilliant they must have played ever song from both CDs, +they have a great summertime festival sound.
    :)
    (never knew pixies had such a big following.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Excellent gig! I got my pixies tattoo on my wrist the day before it! :D

Setlist:

Wave uk,
    In Heaven,
    Where is My Mind,
    Here Comes Your Man,
    Nimrods Son,
    Holiday Song,
    Mr Grieves,
    Vamos,
    Is She Weird,
    Bone Machine,
    No. 13 Baby,
    I Bleed,
    Monkey,
    Wave of Mutilation,
    Allison,
    Broken Face,
    Isla,
    River Euphrates,
    Caribou,
    Punk,
    Hey,
    Gouge,
    Cactus,
    Debaser,
    Tame,
    Planet
    (encore) Gigantic

I was so happy they played I Bleed! I wanna hear The Happening at some point tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭hippu

did anyone else see when some one threw something at frank black?, it looked to me like a cd, as if someone was trying to get their demo to him, twas really rude.
    really good gig, i was worried at first that they were going to play an entirely acoustic set, but i think that slower bit at the start was done very well. many many highlights, gigantic, the sad punk, hey, broken face etc

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

great musicians. :) great performance. :cool: sh1te sound. :mad: sick of it now. Metallica in the RDS 2003 and Bob Dylan Pearse Stadium 2004 also brutal sound. sent a complaint mail to MCD - bet that gets used for toilet paper. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

Yeah I was there last night. I have to say I think last year's gig was much better. Although I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the sound had to be lowered the later it got cause if you think about it Humanzi were turned all the way up to eleven you couldn't have a conversation with anyone but later on when the Sir Frank and the gang came on it didn't seem so loud which made it feel that it was lacking something I wasn't moved to tears like I thought I would be. And as for 'Soccer Mom' Kim what was going on there? Lets hope good old Charles comes back later in the year for a solo fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

The sound at Lansdowne is always absolutely woeful for live gigs, it shouldn't be used for gigs IMO but as long as people buy tickets they'll keep using it

When you say 60-70% full is that just the pitch or were the stands full too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

i went mainly for Kings of leon and there were class, a real sing along rock band. Quality. Callib was really up for it although the drummer with his pink bubblegum looked a bit bored!
    Milk and the Bucket were my highlights.

Liked the Pixes aswell although that thing the guitarist was doing was a bit crap and it took ages. It broke the rhythm of the set.

kings of leon were great. But you can't knock Joey's guitar playing it's not a thing it's part of the song and the whole point is that no matter what he does on his guitar he always stays in time with the drums on that particular song and that takes skill. the guy is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bravenewworld

had a ball last night...Is Kim preggers? she did look like me ma allright.

I saw the gig last year and last night was better, I thought the sound was fine where I was standing. Saw them in the National Stadium in 1990....was without doubt THE best gig I have ever attended in my life....knew it was special at the time and have compared every gig attended ever since. Except for Morrissey before Xmas, cracker of a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Kings of Leon are legends! - as if you didn't know already. Had to endure Jumanji and OAP Fanclub beforehand but ah well!

Pixies were alright, took them a while to finish eating and get up on stage. Not a Fatsies fan myself and I have to admit getting a tattoo of their name on my wrist would seem pretty stupid to me, but hey, if its done right... what the hell!
    KOL were of course the highlight.

Rock on KOL, rock on!

P.S Anyone who uses a drumstick on their guitar is certainly absolutely obviously a genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Alana wrote:
    Despite the fact that the Pixies played "wave of mutilation" twice

That's because theres the alt version and the normal version doh. They have often opened up like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Kim =Soccer Mum on tour LOL :D, it was like yur mum rocking out up on stage! :D

60/70% on the pitch and just the left bottom stand open with few hundred ppl sitting. lot of ppl there.

Ahh the National Stadium. I wish they would come back and do smaller venues (during the school year on a school night) like they used to rather than these big gigs . I hate middleclasshole teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Overall it was a good
    Humanzi were dredful absolutly dredful though
    The Fannies were fantastic as always not as good as set as their show in the vilage due to a shoter time slot but still great there are few if any bands aroung that can write better pop songs
    KOL were boring as hell 3rd time seing them and they get worse each time I nearly fell asleap
    The Pixies were great decent setlist lots of enthusiam an no chillis fans to worry about overall a good ight out

here's a review of the gig

Artist / Group
    Pixies

Venue
    Lansdowne Road
    Date:
    23rd August

Pixies: Lansdowne Road, Dublin.

Though it seems unlikely that the Pixies perform in an indoor venue on these shores any time soon, there was a lot more connectivity to be found in Lansdowne Road yesterday evening than there ever could have been at last year's outing in the sprawling acres of the Phoenix Park. Following the surprisingly impressive home-grown talent of Humanzi, the bland, ageing efforts of Teenage Fanclub, and the teenybopper-pleasing Kings of Leon, the crowds suddenly tightened together as the Pixies took stage for a punctual entrance at nine o'clock sharp, just as darkness was about to fall. Yes, the immediate shock and excitement of seeing the Pixies in the flesh - a band for which a reunion once seemed out of the question - had faded since last summer, but their return to Dublin looked promising from the very outset. Back with a much deserved headline slot, the group now had a more than ample timeframe to perform in, the crowd size was condensed to a mere fraction of the 115,000 that attended their previous Irish performance, and a gremlin-free PA system was as good as one could hope for at an outdoor gig.

After starting off with the slowed-down, "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation," followed by a cover of Peter Ivers' brilliant "In Heaven (Lady in the Radiator Song)", it's clear the Pixies' have no problem trotting out the big guns so early on, with "Where is My Mind?" and "Here Comes Your Man" both being introduced to the set within minutes. Doing so meant that little time was wasted by those intent on forming a mosh pit that would extend far beyond the railings which separated the majority of the audience from the "safe-haven" of a wristband-only area at the stage's front. Despite the open air nature of the show, the crowd were hemmed in together in such a way that applauding was made difficult, and taking pictures nigh on impossible. With such restricted mobility, the surges of squashed-ness became a force that could not be reckoned with, and rather than be swept under, the order of the day soon became to sing your little heart out while jumping in time with the music, just to stay afloat…

Of course, it was only a matter of time before someone realised that such conditions were perfectly conducive to crowd-surfing. Before long, throngs of Pixie-goers were passed over a horizon of heads only to announce their arrival with a tattered shoe in your ear. Though some managed to float by gracefully, there were those that met with more disastrous ends: as a sea of outstretched hands acted as pulleys, heads were kicked, spectacles were broken, and bodies were dropped. Meanwhile, back on stage, Joey Santiago was in the middle of his own controlled chaos during "Vamos," performing a Nigel Tufnel-like solo by conducting his guitar with a drumstick as he fed its sound through a chain of effects pedals. Elsewhere, with plumes of dry ice billowing behind him just as the lighting shifted into a certain shade, for a moment, the big screens managed to create the impression that Frank Black was wailing from the flames of hell.

Although Kim Deal (looking like someone's long-lost evil, billionaire aunt), certainly seemed to be enjoying the enthusiasm of the crowd's sing along antics throughout the night, the atmosphere on the ground didn't seem to directly relate back to the band's energy levels. Despite it being the first date of their European tour, and having only reformed just over a year ago, there was something about the nimble athleticism of David Lovering, the cool silhouette of Joey Santiago, and the nonchalant composure of Frank Black that seemed altogether regimented; something a little too unphased about their business-like demeanour. Perhaps it's just professionalism. Either way, there was nothing stopping the band from being consistently brilliant on the night, delivering highlight performances of the likes of "Cactus" and "Gouge Away" while sounding dazzlingly close to the quality of the recorded versions. Even when a pool of rain water that had collected on the stage's roof suddenly blew down on to the band as if it were a pre-planned burst of confetti, not a word was said to the crowd until it was time for the Pixies to bid goodnight. As they finally put their instruments down and thanked the audience, Black and Deal (who had shared a few playful interactions out of earshot over the course of the evening) engaged in an exaggerated, pantomime-like discussion over the question of an encore, stretching their mouths over each syllable and gesticulating with their fingers so as the crowd could lip-read every word. As the last notes of "Gigantic" rang out, the Pixies' Irish fan-base could leave feeling more than satisfied (and knowing that they didn't have miles to walk towards an exit this time out). Now, if only those rumours of b-side-only, secret gigs in Dublin's best venues could materialise…

Set List:
    Wave of Mutilation (Uk Surf)
    In Heaven
    Where is My Mind?
    Here Comes Your Man
    Nimrod's Son
    Holiday Song
    Mr. Grieves
    Vamos
    Is She Weird
    Bone Machine
    No. 13, Baby
    I Bleed
    Monkey Gone to Heaven
    Wave of Mutilation
    Allison
    Broken Face
    IslaDe Encanta
    River Euphrates
    Caribou
    The Sad Punk
    Hey
    Gouge Away
    Cactus
    Debaser
    Tame
    Planet of Sound
    (encore)
    Gigantic

For photos of the other night check out

http://www.seewhatyouhear.com/Live_Reviews/pixies.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Mr Rivers wrote:
    Hey, were you at the Weezer gig last night aswell coz I was talking to you outside the Red Route well I think I was coz I was talking to some guy with a deadly Pixies P on his wrist!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Mr Rivers wrote:

Aha I can now put a face to Mr Rivers.I was in the loud group of singers in the queue...It's a real cool tattoo by the way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Alana wrote:
    Despite the fact that the Pixies played "wave of mutilation" twice

:rolleyes:

Wave Of Mutilation appears on the Doolittle LP
    Wake Of Mutilation (UK Surf) appears on the Here Comes Your Man 12"

two very different versions of the one song.

They also played both versions at the National Stadium gig and I'm pretty sure they did the same at the Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

. Saw them in the National Stadium in 1990....was without doubt THE best gig I have ever attended in my life....knew it was special at the time and have compared every gig attended ever since.

So did I. Great gig. £6.50 a ticket and 35 songs. Pale Saints were a worthy support. The Point gig the following June wasn't as good.

Best gig ever - The Cure at the RDS, July 15 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

No.13 Baby, River Euphrates and Tame were cool for me because ive heard all the others live before(and No.13 baby has such a cool outro)
    to alana: they usually play wave of mutilation twice the first is a slower version thats great to chill out to.
    and i have to agree with most of you on kim,when they first came out on stage i could hear my friend beside me shout "omg, shes a mammy"
    he later commented on how bald joey reminds him of ming the merciless(esp. with the goatee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    So did I. Great gig. £6.50 a ticket and 35 songs. Pale Saints were a worthy support. The Point gig the following June wasn't as good.

aaack damn youth, Pixies for £6.50 and the cure in the RDS,
    *ENVY*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

nlgbbbblth wrote:

That was the first ever gig i went to. I was 13. Ha, snuck off from the house and saved up the money on the sly to go. Ahhh, memories........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Alana wrote:
    However the crowd near where my mate was got pretty rough, and his friend lost a tooth-not something I'd expect from a Pixies gig...
    Were you just in front of the mixing desk thingy?because the crowd went a little over the top for a Pixies gig there

Advertisement