Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servlet/JSP Hosting

Options
  • 24-08-2005 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any good reliable servlet/jsp hosting companies? or for that matter any good asp.net ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Not wishing to plug, but www.blacknight.ie do good shared servlet stuff, if that's what your after, we think we've ok a the asp.net stuff (we host http://www.developers.ie/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Tomcat
    You may want to look at a Dedicated Server if your going on a major JBoss project

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Tomcat
    You may want to look at a Dedicated Server if your going on a major JBoss project
    If they need a dedicated server wouldn't it be better if they got it from a company that actually had their own infrastructure as opposed to a reseller of some $random US data centre?

blacknight wrote:
    If they need a dedicated server wouldn't it be better if they got it from a company that actually had their own infrastructure as opposed to a reseller of some $random US data centre?

I don't see how having a native infrastructure automatically makes it better than a "random" US data centre. Are you questioning the quality of the "random" US data centre based on in-depth knowledge of their procedures and equipment or are you making an uninformed sweeping statement?

If someone goes to the trouble of getting a dedicated server they want to be as close to the source as possible. A reseller of a reseller cannot offer the level of support that an actual provider can.
    Period.

• Advertisement

Well speaking from experience I have never had any problems with my support issues. Perhaps I pick the right resellers to deal with. Ones that I can be sure have a direct line to the hosting provider and can prove that their reaction times are low.

What you say above is often true, but it's incorrect to tar all reseller-provider hosting relationships with the same brush.
    Period
    Dont worry, they dont last long :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

has anyone used these american sites? looking for a recommendation based on experience. Looked at the irish ones and the prices looked ok till you realise that it does not include vat - as not a business this becomes more expensive with the dollar counterparts...

Tomcat

Thanks, that looks like a good deal for the ASP stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 myhost

blacknight wrote:

So , BlackNight's offices are located in Carlow , and their servers are located in Dublin and Amsterdam . So they are in a better support scenario how ? Can BlackNight physically 'touch' their servers ? Are BlackNight reliant on a support person in the DC to carry out maintenance on their servers ? Is their level of support then reliant on how busy that support person is at that given time ? Oh, and BlackNight are also a reseller of a reseller seeing as they are reselling servers located in the RedBus facility in Amsterdam.

FYI we also offer Irish based dedicated hosting to our clients but we find that for the bulk of our hosting needs, our "$random US data centre" allows us to offer better features and packages than most Irish providors.

jaggiebunnet, we dont support ASP in general but we can offer you a VPS as an alternative for hosting your JSP/JBoss application. They work out a lot cheaper plus you get all the benefits of a dedicated server. As for the VAT thing , send me a PM for info on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

myhost wrote:
    scenario how ? Can BlackNight physically 'touch' their servers ? .

We can www.hosting365.ie but that sort of thing is frowned upon :)

• Advertisement

Sposs wrote:
    We can www.hosting365.ie but that sort of thing is frowned upon :)

I touch my "server" on a regular basis.....

/end innuendo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I went with oxxus.net - dedicated Tomcat 4 server for 23 euros a month. Prompt 24 hour support etc. I recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 myhost

Cant help it , im a 'touchy feely' kind of person . Nothing like rubbing your fingertips accross a smooth chassis . Ahem !

Durty durty durty hosts!

myhost wrote:
    So , BlackNight's offices are located in Carlow , and their servers are located in Dublin and Amsterdam . So they are in a better support scenario how ? Can BlackNight physically 'touch' their servers ? Are BlackNight reliant on a support person in the DC to carry out maintenance on their servers ? Is their level of support then reliant on how busy that support person is at that given time ? Oh, and BlackNight are also a reseller of a reseller seeing as they are reselling servers located in the RedBus facility in Amsterdam.

FYI we also offer Irish based dedicated hosting to our clients but we find that for the bulk of our hosting needs, our "$random US data centre" allows us to offer better features and packages than most Irish providors.

jaggiebunnet, we dont support ASP in general but we can offer you a VPS as an alternative for hosting your JSP/JBoss application. They work out a lot cheaper plus you get all the benefits of a dedicated server. As for the VAT thing , send me a PM for info on that .

We own our own hardware, so yes we are in a better position.

Ardent wrote:
    I went with oxxus.net - dedicated Tomcat 4 server for 23 euros a month. Prompt 24 hour support etc. I recommend them.

That looks like a very good deal, will check it out - cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

That looks like a very good deal, will check it out - cheers!

check out webhost.ie as well - give Dave a call for help/info. Thats what I like about webhost, I get stuck, I phone, I get unstuck - that simple. And pricing is very reasonable compared to 'Some' Irish hosts....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Not wishing to plug, but www.blacknight.ie do good shared servlet stuff, if that's what your after, we think we've ok a the asp.net stuff (we host http://www.developers.ie/)

You two have some sort of pact now? :)

Lol, nope, just we dont do servlets :)

Lol, nope, just we dont do servlets :)

I better tear up that press release :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement