Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle agree fee for Owen...

• 24-08-2005 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭

They have to agree personal terms now....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4179194.stm

Magpies agree record fee for Owen
    Real Madrid's Michael Owen
    Owen has made his decision after talks with the Madrid president
    Newcastle have revealed they have agreed a club record fee with Real Madrid for England's Michael Owen.

Owen, 25, had indicated his desire to rejoin Liverpool but is prepared to join Newcastle on a season-long loan if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed.

But a Newcastle statement said: "Newcastle United have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions."

Newcastle, whose previous record fee was £15m for Alan Shearer, are now waiting to hear from Owen's advisers.

The statement added: "The agreed fee will be a record transfer fee for Newcastle United. It is now up to the player and his advisor."

Madrid have promised to help Owen return home to boost his World Cup hopes.

Owen said: "I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team
    Michael Owen

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but after talks with president Florentino Perez has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen finished with 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great signing, but if Madrid only wanted £12 million what are they thinking in agreeing a club record fee (>£15 million)?

Still, given his earlier comments re. a move to Liverpool and a possible loan move to the Barcodes, this ain't over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

here too: http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/08/24/story217580.html

i dont care anyway, newcastle are sh1te, it would have been bad if the pool had signed him we need players in other positions badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The next 24hrs will be facinating, will the Anfield board cough up to match the offer (over 15 million), sell Cisse?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well this certainly forces Liverpool to show their true hand, they've been very quiet and have refused to be drawn on the whole Owen thing. (The situation reminds me a bit of the Rooney situation last season).
    Owen has already said this morning that he wants to go back to Liverpool, so I wonder would he be prepared to Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He said he would only go to Newcaslte on a season long loan, I can't imagine he will change that opinion. He has seen what happened with Alan Shearer's career there.

This is really smart by Newcastle in my book.
    They know Owen will come on a loan deal is a Liverpool deal isn't sorted.
    Liverpool wanted to get him on the cheap.
    Newcastle put in a 16 million euro bid, knowing that Owen won't come for good, and knowing that if they bid 16 million, Liverpool will have to match it.
    Liverpool don't want to/can't/won't match it, and inturn Owen goes to Newcastle for a season, costing them nothing but wages.
    Win Win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still think he'll end up at Liverpool. No rational player would join Newcastle at the moment and I don't think that this agreed fee will have any bearing on where Owen goes. Afterall, didn't Newcastle agree a fee for Rooney last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

From wah I've seen of Benitez he can be stubborn - don't think he will admit he was wrong and resign Owen - especially not at double the price(bid must be 15M sterling = Shearer fee). Newky on loan for the reason looks the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

He's harldy endearing himself to the Geordies anyway, telling them they are second choice, for a seasons loan, while he sorts himself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id imagine liverpool can still just put in 12mill bid and owen can reject any terms from any club but liverpool so real would be forced to sell him to liverpool or noone. he's already shown he's not against using tactics like this to get what he wants himself (re; last year.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I cant understand why they would him Liverpool now I mean. They have Morientes and Cisse and rafa only plays only one striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Culchie wrote:
    He's harldy endearing himself to the Geordies anyway, telling them they are second choice, for a seasons loan, while he sorts himself out.

Most toon fans (Myself included) will just be happy to have another striker on the books!

Only an ageing Shearer and Ameobi (He just doesn't score enough goals)

We need another 15+ goal striker. Otherwise low bottom half of the table for us at christmas.

Great midfield, reasonable defence(could be very good with another centre-half). But really stuck up front.

he plays 2 strikers at home WDK..

anyway, if liverpool put in a 10 million bid they can still get him, villa put in 2 million less than lyon for baros and they got him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well Michael could most easily ruin his career if he goes to newcastle especially if completes a permanent deal.

the player has to agree to terms for whereever he's going so its up to Owen in a big way (assuming liverpool make a reasonable enough bid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

VinnyL wrote:
    anyway, if liverpool put in a 10 million bid they can still get him, villa put in 2 million less than lyon for baros and they got him...

I would imagine that's down to the selling club or a clause in the player's contract. Doesn't mean that Liverpool would get away with doing this for Owen.

i think it was because liverpool knew baros would never agree terms with lyon, so they had no choice. madrid might be in the same situation.

VinnyL wrote:
    i think it was because liverpool knew baros would never agree terms with lyon, so they had no choice. madrid might be in the same situation.

No, Madrid already know that Newcastle will at least take Owen on loan and he's desperate to move somewhere where he'll get first team football. A different situation to Baros.

im pretty sure liverpool could still get away with paying the 10 or 12 or whatever it was madrid had said they'd take now without having to match newcastles bid. Of course 10 or 12 is better then leaving him go for nothing on loan for a year! Fact remains all parties know there is no way Owen is going to newcastle for more thena one year loan which is the important part. Makes the 15mill bid pretty much null and void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't Liverpool stipulate that a buy-back clause be put into Owen's contract when he signed for Madrid?

Surely a buy back clause would stipulate that Liverpool would have match an offer by any other club to get first preference? Anyway, I think he'll end up back at Liverpool either way.

• Advertisement

The £12 million fee was pure speculation from all the papers and press.
    Real Madrid never said they would take £12 million.

I hope he comes to Newcastle for the year to help get us back in Europe.

a loan would make sense for Madrid - Raul and Ronaldo a year older take hime back then or Owen has a good WC and his price rises.

Any way can't see Benitez doing a u-turn - he would be admitting he made a mistake.

a loan would make sense for Madrid - Raul and Ronaldo a year older take hime back then or Owen has a good WC and his price rises.

Any way can't see Benitez doing a u-turn - he would be admitting he made a mistake.

Madrid have also said they don't need or want to sell him - make it very diif to Baros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

evilhomer wrote:
    The £12 million fee was pure speculation from all the papers and press.
    Real Madrid never said they would take £12 million.

I hope he comes to Newcastle for the year to help get us back in Europe.

yup , some of the signings made already this season have been top class and add Micky Owen to the mix and I am very confident about getting 5th or 6th at worse and having a decent chance at 4th .

So far our performances have been very good this season even if our results havent . We were doing very well against Arsenal until Jenas' wrongful sending off and even with 10 men it took a late dodgey penalty for Arsenal to get the 3 points . Against a good West Ham side the only thing we were missing for a comfortable 2-0 was someone to put the ball in the net .
    We created the chances and were the better side but just couldn't score .

Souness is still interested in signing Luque (he said they'd still try and get him even if they do get Owen as Luque isn't a 20 goal a season player , and in my opinion is really a left winger) which would really strenghten the side .

Given
    Carr Taylor Boumsong Babayaro
    Dyer/Bowyer Parker Emre Luque
    Shearer Owen
    =I hope so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

luque bid has been rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Call_me_al wrote:
    luque bid has been rejected.

:rolleyes: im aware of that . But once a fee is agreed (and there still are negotiations) he will be transfered very quickly as he has already agreed terms .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

PHB wrote:
    He said he would only go to Newcaslte on a season long loan, I can't imagine he will change that opinion. This is really smart by Newcastle in my book. They know Owen will come on a loan deal is a Liverpool deal isn't sorted. Liverpool wanted to get him on the cheap. Newcastle put in a 16 million euro bid, knowing that Owen won't come for good, and knowing that if they bid 16 million, Liverpool will have to match it. Liverpool don't want to/can't/won't match it, and inturn Owen goes to Newcastle for a season, costing them nothing but wages. Win Win!

This is a difficult situation for Owen. He went to Madrid leaving Liverpool as 2nd rate, saw them win the CL, and finds that he is surplus to requirements at Real and no longer a Galactico, not that he didnt perform on the field, but such is the way at Real. Sometimes they sell good players eg: Makelele.

There is a buy-back clause in his contract, Liverpool have first shout, but Benitez doesnt really want him, preferring of all people Morientes, one of his signings. The money aspect is also a problem for Liverpool. Real want 16m. Owen went for 8m. Liverpool may have been prepared to sign him for 8m, or some more, but no way will the board sign him for 16m, I would think.

If Owen can agree terms, and I think he will with Newcastle, it will be his 2nd choice but one that he would nonetheless respond to. Newcastle may prefer a loan, but Real dont want a loan, and now that the offer is officially made and agreed and seems to be 16m, there will be pressure on Owen to sign, and Real will help out if they can.

Its very much looking like Owen is going to Newcastle .....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    Thats the second dig you have got in there about Benetiz having some problem admitting he has made a mistake. Do you even watch football?

Benetiz is a breath of fresh air in that he is one of the first managers to admit when he's screwed up. He has already sold some of his signings that didnt make an impact after one year! Some of his other signings have found themselves in the reserves after players they were bought to replace stepped it up.

He also wasnt quick to change his whole philosophy in the CL final, admitting he got it wrong to begin with, and remember what happened in that game? ;)

It ludicrous to say he wont sign Owen because he doesnt want to admit he made a mistake selling him, because (a) he did the right thing in selling him (b) he cant afford him at the moment (if Cisse were to go that would change) and (c) Liverpool have higher priorities in signing players at the moment, something that he has said over and over.

If he goes to Newcastle it will be a cracking signing for them. Owen and Shearer worked a charm for England, complemented each other perfectly. Another CB and I would expect Newcastle to make Europe, even push for 4th.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Benitez didn't choose to sell Owen, Owen chose to walk, Benitez just didn't stop him. Why would he bother? Why would he want a player at the club who didn't want to be there, just running down his contract?

Benitez made it clear last summer when Owen left, that it was not of his doing, but that things 'got out of control' (ie, Owen's transfer became a runaway freight train of agents).

If Owen was to return, it would not be Benitez admitting a mistake in selling, but Owen admitting a mistake in leaving.

• Advertisement

big ears i was sure souness said a final offer had been rejected so surely thats the end of it?

im seriously worrying that not buying him wil end up costing us more then the price of him. newcastle could well rise above us with him. But at the same time i dont think we should sell cisse to get him. I think he's getting a lot of knee jerk reaction now, even though he is creating chance for himself inspite of playing with a seemingly completely inept morientes. If he can calm down a little and go back to having shot selection (like he has always had until this season) instead of just belting it, he'll be fine. right now it looks like hes hit'n'hoping which isn't like him throughout his career so far and im sure he'll snap out of it and go back to normal. what should make a difference is crouch or even Pongolle as his partner. Basically im just **** sick of Morientes.

we'll have to see, he could play well with Crouch alongside him and FloPo on the wing, would like to see that line up against Spurs if we dont sign an out and out winger thats not flipping stelios...

Call_me_al wrote:
    we'll have to see, he could play well with Crouch alongside him and FloPo on the wing, would like to see that line up against Spurs if we dont sign an out and out winger thats not flipping stelios...

agreed, would love to see that!

Reina
    finnan--carra--hypia--riise
    xabi
    Pongo
    gerard----zenden
    crouch
    cisse

would prefer to see kewell on the wing when fit aswell, zenden has dissapointed i reckon playing in cm for last season may have ruined him for the wing. or even warnock at lb and riise lw till he is fit...

nice to see ALT grab a goal last nite, even if it was for sunderland! and kirkland is playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

AFAIK the only clause that is in his contract is that Liverpool have the first shout to talk to Michael ONCE a bid has been accepted, so seeing as newcastle have actually made a bid and Liverpool haven't that clause doesn't mean anything right now, Liverpool can't match Newcastles offer because they need to keep cash for a CD and RM, they sold Baros to Villa for less than Lyon had offered because Baros had already agreed terms with Villa and they needed the cash, Madrid don't need the cash. As for selling Cisse, I'm not sure how much he will fetch after such a serious injury, Lyon said they weren't interested when he was offered to them.

• Advertisement

when was Cisse offered to Lyon? i think you'll find it was pure speculation and the speculaiton was that Lyon made an offer for Cisse not the other way round, and Rafa has told Cisse no one has made contact with liverpool about him. and it was only a break, even being a very serious break, they rarely affect a players future fitness, nothing like a ligament or muscle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I'm only going on bits of information I heard on other sites, but I think Rafa would gladly take cash for Cisse and seeing as GH was the one who signed Cisse it wouldn't be crazy for Rafa to offer to him Cisse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'll be seriously gutted if Owen ends up at another English club. That'll be 2 strikers doing their utmost to embarass us when we meet Villa and Newcastle, and I fear it's gonna end up costing us in the long run.

I think that Cisse leaving story is rubbish. He needs some time to find his feet again. He has spent the entire last season recovering from a serious Injury, He also looked very good when he played with Crouch. His pace will cause problems in both europe and the premiership.

I'm sure if he is given a little time and some good service (some of those amazing Alonso balls over the top of defences) He will start showing the form he was in for Auxerre before he arrived in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Benetiz is ... one of the first managers to admit when he's screwed up. He has already sold some of his signings, other signings have found themselves in the reserves .. He also (edit WAS) quick to change his whole philosophy in the CL final, admitting he got it wrong to begin with, and remember what happened in that game? ;)

I fully agree with you there Jivin. Benitez does admit when he's screwed up. I just wish that a) he wouldnt screw up in the first place when some of the mistakes are so obvious and b) when he does screw up that he would recognise the mistake earlier and correct it

I agree also with spockety that Owen was already half way out the door when Benitez arrived so his leaving wasnt a 100% decision by Benitez. Owen wanted to do the Real Madrid thing, become a galactico, but it just didnt work out. That cost Liverpool money as his price was much reduced. Now he is surplus at Real and he wants to rush back to England. Liverpool probably could take him back, but money is an issue, as always. His salary is higher, and Real are looking for a tidy sum of 16m. This is a power struggle between the clubs (Parry+board v Perez) as much as it is a Benitez/Owen thing.

But with Baros gone, Liverpool have a bigger need for Owen as to me it looks as if Cisse, Crouch and Morientes will not be up to the level needed. Cisse is also CL-cup tied, so wont be good to anyone and there is no queue for him. Someone mentioned that Cisse used to be able to do shot selections, well he better re-learn how to do them damn quick.

and Rebel, I'm in the same boat as you in relation to Morientes ....

How did Liverpool end up in this sorry state of affairs when it comes to the attack line? There is just too much mediocracy. And even with Owen back, if he does come back, what will be the result? Will we be much better in attack?

I still think that Benitez is happy with Crouch/Morientes/Cisse for now, although the board probably aren't. If the board are feeling generous towards Owen, he may, just may get back into Liverpool. It may be a farce money-wise, but for the pcoming season, Owen may be whats needed to get 4th or higher.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Surely if he takes the year loan he will have to move to newcastle after it anyway?

if its just a straight one year deal, why not go to liverpool on loan?

Its a tough tough choice, personnally over 15 is too much. But to have him at our rivals for 4th place could be very costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

I as a Liverpool fan cant see Owen going back just looks like Newcastle have found a completely win win situation. I dont think Owen is necessarily needed at the club though, a centre back is crucial needed i would however like to see Solano or even Wiltord come to the club with the width they and Zenden would bring it'd only promise goals for the centre forwards and for 50 foot 6 inch crouches to get crosses into him.

People say Owen is not needed at the club.
    Heres how I see it in say relation to Man Utd.

Man Utd have a ****load of strikers.
    We only play one up front, and we have 4 peopel for that position.
    Van Nist, Rooney, Saha and Smith.
    If Owen came, I'd say he'd be 3rd.
    I don't think we'd need him, but ****ing hell, what an option to have!
    Hey Van Nist isn't scoring, what do we do, I don't know, lets bring on the best English striker of his generation.
    Yeh that'd be bad.

And tbh, if this was Owen rejoining Liverpool, he'd be first striker at the club.
    He might not be needed, but Liverpool aren't at the top top top top end of clubs.
    Quality proven players(very rare) don't say every day that they want to play for Liverpool, so when the chance arrives to get one, there is no way they should pass up the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

PHB
    People say Owen is not needed at the club.

Heres how I see it in say relation to Man Utd.

Man Utd have a ****load of strikers.
    We only play one up front, and we have 4 peopel for that position.
    Van Nist, Rooney, Saha and Smith.
    If Owen came, I'd say he'd be 3rd.
    I don't think we'd need him, but ****ing hell, what an option to have!
    Hey Van Nist isn't scoring, what do we do, I don't know, lets bring on the best English striker of his generation.
    Yeh that'd be bad.

And tbh, if this was Owen rejoining Liverpool, he'd be first striker at the club.
    He might not be needed, but Liverpool aren't at the top top top top end of clubs.
    Quality proven players(very rare) don't say every day that they want to play for Liverpool, so when the chance arrives to get one, there is no way they should pass up the chance

get your head out the clouds, who won the CL last season , yes liverpool did, where did Utd finish.We even kept the trophy as we have won it 5 times yes 5 times. We are seeded higher than Utd in the draw for the group stages. I admit we do need owen but stop trying to stir up things and stick to your Utd forum.

What the hell are you on about?
    Instead of jumping down my throat, disagree with something I've said.
    Oh no wait, that would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB - What was the name of that Brazilian that turned down a move to the Theatre of Dreams there a couple of years ago? ronaldinho was it?

quality players turning down united? how dare they.

ANYWAY

What i'm wondering is, where the fook are newcastle utd getting 18 million hard cash from?? they finished nowhere for the past couple of years. liverpool have been in and 1 the champions league over the past couple of years and we're the ones strapped for cash? .....is the club in that bad a financial state or are newcastle just well off?

ah nevermind, just fed up with the whole will he or wont it crap. I snapped so apolygies mate

I agree owen would be no 1 striker if he came as moro, ciise cant buy a goal these days and with owen you are guaranteed 20 goals a season.

I thought liverpool had first refusal on him anyways if he ever came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

el rabitos wrote:
    is the club in that bad a financial state or are newcastle just well off?

The Barcodes are spending stupid money IMO, and it will come back to haunt them.

They've failed to score a goal in the PL so far, and were booed off the pitch at home to West Ham on Saturday. Signing Owen will go some way towards solving the goalscoring problem, but £18 million on one player? What about the lack of goals from midfield? Sourness himself admitted he wanted to get 3/4 players in before the transfer window shuts. It strikes me as a sign of desperation.

Where will they be if he gets injured? Its not as if that hasn't happened before...

tough choice if one had to choose between liverpool and newcastle.

Dont think souness is the man for the job, give the job to shearer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i mean its not like newcastle havent been spending over the years. they've already spent a bit so far over the summer.

i'm just wondering where liverpools money is gone. or if we'll just not revealing our hand so to speak in regards to how much money is in the bank. so as not to over inflate the price of potential targets

• Advertisement
Advertisement