Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle agree fee for Owen...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

el rabitos wrote:
    i mean its not like newcastle havent been spending over the years. they've already spent a bit so far over the summer.

i'm just wondering where liverpools money is gone.

Newcastle get 55,000 supporters into St James Park every week (second only to Man Utd) thats where the money comes from.

Liverpool are stuck for cash because of there new stadium, plus Houlier spent a ridiculous amount of money on players that they have never been able recoup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

evilhomer wrote:
    Newcastle get 55,000 supporters into St James Park every week (second only to Man Utd) thats where the money comes from.

It seems every time Newcastle spend money people ask the stupid question where is it comming from . The above is the asnwer and a fairly obvious one at that . Its not like we spend £30/40 million on transfers every summer , usually we have 3 years of single digit(millions wise) transfer seasons and then one year of spending a lot of money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Ears wrote:
    It seems every time Newcastle spend money people ask the stupid question where is it comming from .

Eh, Celtic anyone? Don't see them looking to spend £17 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

newcastles bid is £18m, owen will not be leaving on loan and liverpool will not match that offer. so it is newcastle or stay at the moment, he should reject newcaslte and let liverpool come in with a realistic bid for him and then go to liverpool. or else just stay, i mean he got himself into this situation, so its his own fault if he doesnt play during a world cup year. i have no synpathy for him.

also how do people think he is newcastles saviour? i mean owen is a great striker but newcastle dont make chances so how is he gonna finish them? if the midfield were doing their job shearer is able to bang in a few goals, i mean do they expect owen to pick up the ball in newcastles box run the whole pitch and score? its a joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Eh, Celtic anyone? Don't see them looking to spend £17 million.

It's more a combination of the attendance and the television money that Newcastle would receive. Celtic would only make a fraction of the money Newcastle get from TV. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but ticket prices to see the bigger English Premier league teams are quite a bit more than tickets for Celtic matches.

As for the amount they have to spend, the agreed a fee for Rooney last year in excess of £25 million so they are obviously not short, it's hard to know how much people like Freddy Shephard put into the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

galwaydude wrote:
    PHB

get your head out the clouds, who won the CL last season , yes liverpool did, where did Utd finish.We even kept the trophy as we have won it 5 times yes 5 times. We are seeded higher than Utd in the draw for the group stages. I admit we do need owen but stop trying to stir up things and stick to your Utd forum.
    would people ever stop with this ffs. You do realise the stick PHB would be getting if Man U won the Champions league last season and he mentioned winning the CL in any argument he hadn't got a decent point for.
    "I've just won €110m in Euromillions"
    "Yeah but your team didn't win the CL. so there!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Newcastle have been very cute pricing Liverpool out of the market for Owen. There is no way Benitz will pay over double what he got for Owen a year ago especially considering the circumstances of Owens departure and Liverpools need to strengthen in other positions.

I.m sure the fear that the club would be held to ransom again a few years down the line would be a consideration in the amount of money liverpool would be willing to invest in a player that they were forced to sell way below his market value because of his eagerness to obtain a lucrative bosman for himself..

If Owen really wants to go back to Liverpool and they want him how come he is going on loan to St. James Park and not Anfield ?

muppet Real have said he will not be allowed to leave on loan, what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I reckon he's got to go to NEWC with it being world cup year.
    Unless he's injured, he will play every game, something he wont get at Real.

If I were Liverpool boss I wouldnt be in for him simply based on the money aspect. Why sell a player one year for 8 mill and buy him back for double the price a year later. It doesn't make sense.

I still can't believe United or Arsenal haven't gone for him.
    He is a proven goalscorer and a great professional - if money were no object I would have him in my team without doubt, though I dont think he'd enjoy playing Tuesday night indoor footie :D

• Advertisement

he may be a proven goalscorer but is he worth £18m? i dont think so myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Call_me_al wrote:
    muppet Real have said he will not be allowed to leave on loan, what are you on about?

Owen said he would go to Newcastle on Loan. What real are saying publically and their actual poition could well be 2 different things. Owen need to be playing regular first team football this season and he won't get that at real so I would not put to much pass on the verbal posturings at the moment.

well newcastle have now said they wont take him on loan according to ssn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I agree with the view in some quarters that this whole Owen thing has turned into a farce. It is a farce, the fact that he cant get first team football at a half decent team is pathetic. I expect he will be sitting on the bench at Real Madrid for another season. He should eat humble pie and move to a smaller club for regular football.

Advertisement