Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dance in Dublin

• 24-08-2005 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    Just thought it'd be nice to get some chat going on the subject of dance (of all forms). I know you're all out there, so why not just start rambling and see where we get?
    Diarmaid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Is being able to dance a requirement? If that's the case seeya! ;)

Seriously though, I enjoy dancing like Céilí dancing (great fun) and I can waltz and do easy stuff but the more modern it gets the worse I am...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Have you ever seen a perfomace by Dance Theatre Ireland? They're amazing, they combine physical theatre and dance in this really beautiful show.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodentopz

There are no coincidences, only patterns we do not see
    John Connolly; Every Dead Thing (1999)

There are no coincidences, but sometimes the pattern is more obvious
    Bonzo Dog Dirt Band: Keynsham (1969)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Drmdmr

No haven't seen anything by DTI as I'm not in Dublin that long, but I'll make it my business to see their new work in november - watermark i think it's called.

I did go to a class there - contemporary and it was led by one of the artistic directors. To be honest i found it very slow and repetitive, but I'm sure they know what they're doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Hi. I've hust enroled in an 8 week contempory dance class in the dance Theatre of Ireland (for beginers).

It was one of the only places on the web. Is this place any good?

• Advertisement

hi, yeah i did that course - it was a bit repetitive which i suppose is a good thing for beginners, to get some basic moves ingrained. The thing that really killed me was the fact that the teacher tried to hiphop it up a bit and used the same music for every class (a song by usher that makes me nauseous now). But i did find it good for learning how to actually listen to and move to music - so it definitely is constructive.

Enjoy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

woodentopz- I didn't know of the other quote, I just thought it was a nice little line. John Connolly IS a fantastic writer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

Re: DTI: yeh i saw their show, really good! As a dancer I know a good show when i see one! If you get the chance to see them, do!

hehe, i know the as a dancer bit sounds really pretentious, but what else am i sposed to call myself?! a girl who dances? :p

I went to the white piece (IMDT) in the project friday night - i really liked it. There was lots of levels operating and i like the diversity of ages, body-types and experience - gave it some texture. It was the first time i've seen them perform. John Scott stayed after to give some background and answer questions too. Anyone else see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Yep - I was at the show on Friday night as well. I'm the girl whose bag got attached ;) - it's the second of his show I've seen. He is definitely unique, which I love.

Am thinking of doing a comtemporary class at the DTI. Was going to do it with Cois Cem, but the day that suits me is booked up :( . Have done a few workshops with the DTI - one was part of the Youth Festival in July, and the other ones last weekend, as part of the World Cultures Festival.

• Advertisement

well, the up-side is that the DTI is better - really spacious as you know - but they do tend to put more people in!!

Can't wait now for the fringe to start - loads of dance to look forward to - i'm particularly looking forward to coisceims "knots" - I saw them rehearse one day and it looked pretty cool.

So, they thread kind of died a bit....how about people putting in a bit about themselves? Nice to know where people are coming from. I'm about to start full-time dance training after doing science in college - hardly a natural progression :D

the shoudl have read "the DTI studio is better" - sorry coisceim!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DaisyDuke

I did ballet, contemporary and hiphop with DTI over the last year. No ballet this year - have to go and find another studio :(
    The teacher I had for contemporary was great - she taught beginners and intermediate, but she's on leave atm, as had a baby at the start of the year. I think she might be back for new term though.

cool - what about lisa tyrell in the international dance academy on ormond quay? I went to some of her classes and found her good - but the studio isn't really suitable for an adult class - there's two big pillars in the middle of the floor that have to be negotiated if there's any travelling to be done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I'm going to revive this topic because I think Irish Dancing (like in the Riverdance show) is absolutely amazing. I would really love to learn that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭martinl

Hi all,
    just came across this thread the first time.

Over a year ago I saw several dance theatres (during the fringe festival and one or the other in Dun Loaghaire in the Pavilion theatre/project theatre) and for me it was/is just breath taking, fascinating with which elegance, grace and seemingly ease the dances perform their moves.

Over the last year I missed out a bit going to these things :(

Being professionally involved in the sport/exercise I might have a rough idea how much effort people put in to get to this stage.

I teach Pilates since nearly three years in Dublin and dancers seem to either do a lot Pilates and/or Yoga.

Just wondering if there are any dancers around here and to which degree they include Pilates / yoga or something similar in their training regime?

Around 1.5 years back I talked to a dancer from Cork, who I meet in Dublin’s project theatre at an installations, that allowed you to move in front of a camera and depending how fast slow, where in the scope of the camera you moved a synthesizer created sounds. Indirectly you created music with you body – this was GREAT FUN :):D

She mentioned, that you she used something similar in Cork at the time, which worked a bit better.

Can anybody recommend any Irish websites that show what’s happening on the Irish-dance theatre scene?

Hi can anybody recomend a good contempary / jazz dance class in Dublin? At the moment I'm doing 1 night a week in DTI, but I'd like something a bit more intensive. Maybe 2 or 3 classes a week.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

I go to various bellydance classes around Dublin city.

Anyone need info: PM-me!

Where R All U Dancers Out There!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

hey!!
    I'm a dancer! from kildare. teacher also!! in kyds dance school for 2yrs now!! its my passion!! i've done work experience in DTI there so nice there!!

• Advertisement

Wolfgang Hoffman, chief patron of this years Dublin Fringe Festival will be running dance/physical threatre classes in Procuction House in Temple Bar soon. Stay tuned for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Theres's a pole dancing/aerobic class on at The Hollywood Academy on Thursday and Friday evenings starting up for five weeks. 50 yo-yos a class which is expensive enough though it does last two hours. Put my name down for it though am a little apprehensive. Not sure what I've let myself in for. Any one know anything about these classes?

For €50 a class for aerobics & poledancing lessons!?! Sounds like a scam to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

I hope it is at least a private class you're getting there!

I hope it is at least a private class you're getting there!

It's not actually. You're right I really should be getting a private class for that money. Does anyone know any dance (ballet or hip hop) teachers that do private lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Groovy Chic

Heya,
    I was thinking of taking a year out next year to do dance for any amount of time (up to a year obviously). The PLC course in Cork seems to be the only one I can find that dosen't go on for longer than a year. Has anyone any ideas on that course or any other good courses in the country.
    Would appreciate any help! :D:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

most dance courses i know of are two years full time
    inchicore college has a great plc dance course if you were gonna do one but again two years im afraid!

Aw well thanks very much anyway. :)
    Do ye know anything about the courses in Bray or Stillorgan? :confused:

i dont know much about stillorgan, but i havent heard good reports from bray-not too familiar with the course myself though. i would recommend sallynoggin and inchicore as the two to go for if your taking it up in dublin. what types of dance do you do?

• Advertisement

Have ye heard about the course in colaiste stiofain in cork?

Have done lots of different bits of different types of dance, contempory, ballet, jazz, hip hop..... Have been doin irish dancin for years and years...I just love any type of dance.

What about you?

Hi,
    don't forget the college of dance in Monkstown!! I'm training there at the moment and find the teaching excellent and I'm feeling challenged everyday. The other dublin colleges offer more qualifications but college of dance focuses on producing performers, and is really geared towards reading dancers for the best colleges abroad.
    D

Class. :D What type of dancin do ya do in Monkstown? How long is the course? Is it tough goin?

Has anyone been to sallynoggin or inchicore?

my dance teacher is a ballet/contemporary teacher in inchicore- absolutely amazing choreographer id go there just for the chance to dance with her! as for inchicore in general i dont go there myself but have many friends there-its quite demanding if your willing to push yourself and gives good qualifications at the end of it. if your willing to work youll do well there, but that applies to any dance college i suppose.

Azureus wrote:
    my dance teacher is a ballet/contemporary teacher in inchicore- absolutely amazing choreographer id go there just for the chance to dance with her!

Are you referring to Adrienne Brown?

Are you referring to Adrienne Brown?

no , linda higgins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

Hiya did anyone see the bull what did ye think of it? anyone doing the national dance awards this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

I've been dancing salsa for about 3 years (no dance experience before that, though I sing and used to play a couple of instruments, so am somewhat "musical"), and am now pretty much a salsaholic, getting a couple of fixes a week at least. There are salsa clubs almost every night of the week in Dublin though sadly not Saturday night. :(

I'm not sure why many guys see dance as something 'effeminate' or inappropriate for them to be doing, especially with a partner dance like salsa where you go can to a salsa club and get to dance with lots of lots of girls :)

I dance both "regular" salsa and also "rueda", where couples dance in a circle and one of the guys calls out the names of steps for all the couples to do at the same time (some of which are a bit cheeky), sometimes involving swapping partners. Kinda of like a latin version of set dancing I guess, but more risque. :D

I have also created a salsa site with info for anyone who's interested.

If anyone's thinking of trying salsa, feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

By the way, I've created a thread discussing the possibility of a dedicated "dance" forum, in case anyone wants to support the motion!

Hi. Has anyone done any of the Coisceim courses. Thinking of doing Contempary and Jazz in January. Any views?

I've heard good things about Coiscéim, they're supposed to be brilliant.

• Advertisement

yeah coisceim, contemporary anyway,is meant to be pretty good alright!!

does anybody know of any ballet/contemp classes (intermediate/advanced) that are running over xmas? drop-in classes around dublin just to keep me going over the holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i just finished a 6 week pole dancing course it was brilliant

wow. i've been to some great poll dancing clubs kings cross, sydney.

I may be taking up Ballroom dancing in the new year! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

heh cool! always fancied that mehself. and tap, for some reason....

Piste wrote:
    I may be taking up Ballroom dancing in the new year! \o/

that sounds great fun! where does that?

Hmm I'm not sure what the name of the place is...it's in St. Theresa's community hall in Mount Merrion though..I got the place off some site :)

is it done by term or can ya do drop in classes?
    how to ease leaving cert pressure-drop in for a bit of ballroom dancing! as ya do :)

Yeah That's what I'm doing to wind down after a week of studying, albeit only for the JC :)

I think it's term based, I'll try to find the website and post it here soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I lived in London for donkeys years, and every Thursday night I used to go dancing in Fulham or Hammersmith or Windsor or anywhere where there was a "Ceroc" club, but since my return to Dublin last year I cant find a Ceroc club anywhere! Any ideas anybody?

(P.S. Ceroc is very similar to Salsa but not quite as sexy).

• Advertisement
Advertisement