Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Drmdmr

Hi,
    don't forget the college of dance in Monkstown!! I'm training there at the moment and find the teaching excellent and I'm feeling challenged everyday. The other dublin colleges offer more qualifications but college of dance focuses on producing performers, and is really geared towards reading dancers for the best colleges abroad.
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Groovy Chic

Class. :D What type of dancin do ya do in Monkstown? How long is the course? Is it tough goin?

Has anyone been to sallynoggin or inchicore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

my dance teacher is a ballet/contemporary teacher in inchicore- absolutely amazing choreographer id go there just for the chance to dance with her! as for inchicore in general i dont go there myself but have many friends there-its quite demanding if your willing to push yourself and gives good qualifications at the end of it. if your willing to work youll do well there, but that applies to any dance college i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Azureus wrote:
    my dance teacher is a ballet/contemporary teacher in inchicore- absolutely amazing choreographer id go there just for the chance to dance with her!

Are you referring to Adrienne Brown?

Are you referring to Adrienne Brown?

no , linda higgins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

Hiya did anyone see the bull what did ye think of it? anyone doing the national dance awards this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

I've been dancing salsa for about 3 years (no dance experience before that, though I sing and used to play a couple of instruments, so am somewhat "musical"), and am now pretty much a salsaholic, getting a couple of fixes a week at least. There are salsa clubs almost every night of the week in Dublin though sadly not Saturday night. :(

I'm not sure why many guys see dance as something 'effeminate' or inappropriate for them to be doing, especially with a partner dance like salsa where you go can to a salsa club and get to dance with lots of lots of girls :)

I dance both "regular" salsa and also "rueda", where couples dance in a circle and one of the guys calls out the names of steps for all the couples to do at the same time (some of which are a bit cheeky), sometimes involving swapping partners. Kinda of like a latin version of set dancing I guess, but more risque. :D

I have also created a salsa site with info for anyone who's interested.

If anyone's thinking of trying salsa, feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

By the way, I've created a thread discussing the possibility of a dedicated "dance" forum, in case anyone wants to support the motion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Hi. Has anyone done any of the Coisceim courses. Thinking of doing Contempary and Jazz in January. Any views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've heard good things about Coiscéim, they're supposed to be brilliant.

• Advertisement

yeah coisceim, contemporary anyway,is meant to be pretty good alright!!

does anybody know of any ballet/contemp classes (intermediate/advanced) that are running over xmas? drop-in classes around dublin just to keep me going over the holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i just finished a 6 week pole dancing course it was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

wow. i've been to some great poll dancing clubs kings cross, sydney.

I may be taking up Ballroom dancing in the new year! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

heh cool! always fancied that mehself. and tap, for some reason....

Piste wrote:
    I may be taking up Ballroom dancing in the new year! \o/

that sounds great fun! where does that?

Hmm I'm not sure what the name of the place is...it's in St. Theresa's community hall in Mount Merrion though..I got the place off some site :)

is it done by term or can ya do drop in classes?
    how to ease leaving cert pressure-drop in for a bit of ballroom dancing! as ya do :)

Yeah That's what I'm doing to wind down after a week of studying, albeit only for the JC :)

I think it's term based, I'll try to find the website and post it here soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I lived in London for donkeys years, and every Thursday night I used to go dancing in Fulham or Hammersmith or Windsor or anywhere where there was a "Ceroc" club, but since my return to Dublin last year I cant find a Ceroc club anywhere! Any ideas anybody?

(P.S. Ceroc is very similar to Salsa but not quite as sexy).

• Advertisement

Hey all you dancers out there!!!! I need help! i'm auditioning for 3 ballet schools in England next year and i need exercises and stretches to help get in shape...get fit,stronger centre and turn out,higher leg extensions,etc! You know the kind of things i'm talkin about!!! so if anyone knows any please please post them! Thanks!!!!

em hard to post a lot of them but ill give it a try...
    for general fitness-cardio and allegro work are pretty much the best you can do to improve this imo-contre temps and that kinda thing increase fitness and technique.
    core stability can be improved by adage, developes at low height with good turn out in the centre and increasing height once your comfortable that you can maintain turn out, and the same with grande rond de jambe in the centre. foette turns are also pretty good for both core stability and technique.
    general stretches-i find the classic 'frog' stretch handy, its relaxing and because youre pushing your body weight onto the legs it gives a good stretch with minimal pain.
    the pyramid split stretch i find great too for hamstrings and calf muscles mainly.
    thats jus what popped into my mind first, theyre jus what i find best myself. hope that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

I second all of that ^^^
    Anyone else find it weird writing down ballet terms? *shrug*'Just seems like the kind of the thing you never need to write down...Unless there's theory ballet exams, which some evil genius thought up to make me revise french....<.<

And good luck with your audtitions!

yeah theyre awkward to write alright! tried to write down choreography a few times but always resort to stick people diagrams with random lines for floor patterns! :o)

good luck with your auditions-wat schools are you applying for? id love to go dance in england!

Thanks!Whats the pyramid splits?? Not to sure yet probably the royal ballet school elmhurst hammond and tring park but not 2 sure cause northern ballet school,central ballet school and ballet west have good courses 2!!!Not auditioning til this time next yr caues of my jc but it'll prob take me this yr to get ready for it!!!! What kind of dancing do you do? Which dance school are you in?

I do ballet and contemporary mainly but ive done some jazz and that kinda thing as well- i dance with dublin ballet school. you?
    the pyramid split stretch is where ya go into a triangle position (with your heels on the ground) and stretch your hamstrings, then bend your front leg to stretch your calf muscles then slide into the front splits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Dublin Ballet School? That's listed in the Golden Pages as being in Raheny but the phone number is no longer in use. Who's your teacher at that school and do you have a phone number for there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Groovy Chic

Anyone know anything about the two year dance course in Inchicore?:)

don't know much about inchicore but i know avout sally knoggin or whatever its called if thats any help

• Advertisement

i do ballet jazz and contemporary, what grade are you on in ballet? i've done courses in other kinds of dance aswel like salsa and aerial work which was really good i dance with shawbrook ballet school are you in a youth company?

Advertisement