Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

No theres not realy any around here. im grade 7 ballet n ive done my pre elementary you? i did a bit of salsa and loved it but only know the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

grade 7 and intermediate ballet and intermediate jazz, i'm doin my intermediate ballet in may and my jazz in april are you doin exams this year? i did my grade 6 ballet in november

i did my grade 6 in may-out of curiosity did you do the classical, free movement or character dance? i cant do my intermediate because i havent got the required turn out unfortunately! the syllabus isnt too bad though, we do it for strengthening. i prefer the grades cuz theyre more performance based rather than technique.
    im not doing exams this year because we're doing a show in the helix so we're focusing on that. i might go for my grade 8 in november though depending.

I'm lucky that i've good turn out and feet and my body is in the right proportion except i'm 5ft 9 so thats not so great! then again darcey Bussell is the same height and shes amazing!Did you see the programme on her on Christmas Day? i did the classical dance I was so happy i got a 10 in it! what dance did you do? Yea i love the performance aspect of the grades. Do you like grade 7? I put up a request for a dance Forum so if everybody could go to forums and support it because they are saying they wont start one because there isn't enough support for it!

i did the free movement got a 9,was very happy with it!
    my feet are strong but my turn out is my weakest point, it can be frustrating at times. im 5ft 2/3 which is a bit short but its alright, doesnt cause too many problems. 5ft 9 isnt a bad height at all, it means long legs!
    the performance aspect is definately the best aspect for me, its what i dance for-though the technique you get from ballet is just invaluable and i love it too.
    i already supported the prospect of a dance forum and got my boyf to aswell-i really hope theres the interest.

• Advertisement

I love everything about dance i dont even mind the state of my feet! do you have scars on your feet from point? I found a great exercise for turn out on a dance forum My friend has weak turn oout and it helped her alot its hard to explain I had to show her i think it came up when i googled dance forums if thats any help!does your boyf dance? How much Practise do you do? and how many classes a week do you take?

i can hold my turn out pretty well, its jus my phsical make up really thers not too much i can do to improve it as far as i know-any tips welcome though!
    i do class three times a week and then a three hour session sat mornings for the show atm on top of that. i do some pointe practice as well and just casua work thruout the week-nothing too heavy as i have the leaving cert as well this year.
    i got a new york city ballet workout/practise dvd today to practise with too.
    no my boyfriend doesnt dance-however much i make him try!
    i dont mind the briuses / scars/ blisters- its all part of it really! there was steam coming out of my pointes before though, that was kinda odd lol.
    what pointes do you usually wear?

I have classes 4 times a week 6-9 on a monday 9-9.30 on a wednesday 5.30-10 on a friday and 9-2 on a saturday! I wear bloch signature rehearsal wat about you? but i have to buy new pointes every month cause i break them nearly the first time i wear them because of the kind of feet I have! Oh yea I was going to get that workout dvd is it good? I do a bit of cardio some pointe during the week and i do a full practise of grade7 intermediate and jazz on a sunday! and I've to study for my jc aswel! steam?? thats weird! do you do anything to prepare your pointes before you wear them lik closing them in doors etc.?

yeah i have to to soften them up a bit before wearing them, ill either wander around my house in them for awhile, put them in the jam of the door or over a kettle with steam for a few seconds.
    i wear bloch sig rehearsal too, used to wear seranades and gamba but pretty much stick with these now-ive finally found what works for me thank god! though itll prob change now ive said that ;p

Yea I wore 2 types of gamba freed and bloch serenade and now sig rehearsal still not happy with those so i'm gonna try grishko or i'm thinking of ordering gaynor mindens.
    I normally pare the edges of the shank after a few wears and wear them around the house, I had them on one day an my friend arrived at my house an was lik wat the f**k are you wearing to make it worse it was a lad tat I really liked! Do you ever get like teased over ballet and dancin?

• Advertisement

signature rehearsals tend to last me a good while, as opposed to gamba which i fond go soft very quickly, though ive a habit of dancing in them when they arent as hard as they should be-jus cant afford to but new ones as much as i should-wearing them as demi pointes help your feet get a lot stronger too.
    i havent had a chance to watch the dvd yet im going to go through it tomoro so il let you know what its like.

I got a grant from the arts council because it costs so much to do dancin for the year! Yea I practise in my pointe shoes using them as demi-pointes but i have proper demi-pointes for class!

i used to get actual demi pointes but find soft pointes do pretty much the same job so stuck with them!
    i have no arts council grants or anything, i not going over to england / pursuing a career out of it as such, however tempted i may have been at times !

Would you not think of doing contemporary or something? I couldn't live without dancin!! My parents don't want me to go to England they think its too big a risk, but I really want to go I'd give up anything for this chance

i would love to but i want to do something art related in college to keep my options open-to really succeed in dance id have to go abroad and thats not something i want to do anymore.
    here i can keep up dance and teach casually on the side while keeping my options open for further careers in design.i couldnt live without dance-but at the same time iwouldnt be confident enough in my abilitys to rely on it for the rest of my life
    its an amazing opportunity though and you should definatly go for it!

Did you do the adage in grade 7? we just learnt it today its so pretty!
    Whats your american ballet workout dvd like?

i did it a while ago, if its the one i thinking of i love it too its gorgeous! i just had to endure hours of the signets/dying swan-id kill to be doing adage!
    i would love a pair of gaynor mindons! ive been (jokingly) hinting to my boyf to get me a pair for my birthday but it aint gonna happen, theyre so expensive and its so annoying how nowhere stocks them here! I know someone going to london for 6hours purely to get a pair fitted!
    My brother is the main person who teases me about ballet but nobody else does anymore-the girls realised that its great for keeping you fit and everyone else knows how passionate i am about it so they wouldnt dare ;p i used to get a lot of hassle when i was younger though, hip hop and stuf was the 'cool' dancing, ballet was nowhere close. its nice to be god at something different though so dont let it bother ya at all! - even if we do walk around our houses looking ridiculous with pointe shoes and jeans!

I'm gonna dance the dying swan solo one day!!! you know the one choreographed for anna pavlova! Its my favourite part of swan lake! Yea I'm trying to persuade my mam to let me go get them fitted!!not having much look though surprise surprise! Yea most people think its class because they only ever see the perfect ballerina doing swan lake they dont see the hard slog and the practise and the blood sweat and tears that goes with it!

i love the dying swan-though it kills your arms! the footworks ok cuz its mainly courus but omg my back/arms are dead! its my favourite part of swan lake too, most peoples i think its just one of those really memorable dance moments! i find the signets far worse to dance though tbh! maybe because it just doesnt have the quality of the dying swan i dunno-but its just torture. its amazing how everything looks so delicate and easy, but its killing you! thats the beauty of it all though-dance until your feet go numb and smile til your jaws hurt!! lol.

Are ye going the pas de trois? I love that its so cool!! Are ye doing all of swan lake? That'd be so cool we dont do any classical rep we have pieces choreographed for us we do 1 contemporary one kinda dance theatre piece and this year we're doing an aerial piece to open a dance festival!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

i love the dying swan part! we did swan lake a while ago, it took ages to come together but it looked really well in the end!

nope we're not doing all of swan lake, just some excerpts to open the show because theres a lot of original choreography and adaptations as well. pas de trois would be amazing but no, unfortunately not.

it is taking ages to come together but id say (i hope!) it comes together in the end. the signets is really messy atm but once we get it together it should look good-i just hope it comes together in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

curliq wrote:
    i love the dying swan part! we did swan lake a while ago, it took ages to come together but it looked really well in the end!

Did anyone see Ballet Ireland's Dying Swan piece? I saw it before Xmas in The Helix. What did ye think of it?

No is that the tchaikovsky show? did anyone see knots? is it worth going to see? Azureus the show will alll come together every show is a mess until nearly the very end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

i didn't go to knots, but my firend went and she really liked it!
    Azureus the show will alll come together every show is a mess until nearly the very end!

yeh, our swan lake looked like fat duck pond for a looooong time, but it worked out reeeeally well in the end, so don't give up, it'll be worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Azureus wrote:
    i would love a pair of gaynor mindons! ive been (jokingly) hinting to my boyf to get me a pair for my birthday but it aint gonna happen, theyre so expensive and its so annoying how nowhere stocks them here! I know someone going to london for 6hours purely to get a pair fitted!

Never say never honey *kisses*

curliq wrote:

yeh, our swan lake looked like fat duck pond for a looooong time, but it worked out reeeeally well in the end, so don't give up, it'll be worth it!

Lol exactly-and a fat duck pond isnt very attractive, especially in a tutu! :rolleyes:

and you dont be getting my hopes up, gaynor mindons are a girls best friend!
    well would be if i owned them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone dance Ceroc? see also post #51:)

ive touched on ceroc but havent done much-i love the whole jazzy salsa style its good fun! id like to do more at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Did anyone see Ballet Ireland's Dying Swan piece? I saw it before Xmas in The Helix. What did ye think of it?

It was the Diagheliv show!

Advertisement