Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write for the Observer Science Page

Options
  • 24-08-2005 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

(Please!?)

Hi Everybody,

My name's Susan Connolly, I'm editing the *trumpet fanfare trumpet* Science & Technology Page for the University Observer next year. This seems a science-ish kind of place, so i thought I'd give a shout-out to any budding writers.

I'm looking for articles on general science/tech news, UCD science/tech news, explanatory articles (eg Quantum physics in 500 words), items of Science/Tech student general interest, things you need to know to survive 1st Science/Eng, and anything else you think might be relevant.

If you're interested, reply to this thread or drop me a line at observersciencepage@yahoo.com and we can have a chat.

Alternatively, if there's anyhting you'd like / hate to see on the Science/Tech Page or in the Observer in general, post it here and I'll take note, or pass it on to the relevant people.

Cheers,

Susan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Ye I am interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I've always enjoyed reading that page, although I felt at times it could have been a bit more related to students or UCD. Hope you enjoy doing it Susan and I wish you the best of luck - how about an article on the effects of overdosing on caffeine and not sleeping due to allnighters at exam time! :D Maybe an indept study into just what that manky resteraunt food is doing to our insides? An investigation into just how much sulphuric acid it takes to remove a clamp from a motorbike - I remember reading an article before on someone in college removing a clamp in such a way!

A funny physics one could involve going up to random groups of ppl in the resteraunt/ student bar, and seeing how high a tower they can build out of a cup, two plates a fork, spoon and three promotional leaflets that happened to be lying around (being in eng I've done this a few times with the ppl in my class!), you could have photos for that, maybe a survey showing who did best, through gender, faculty ect (everyone loves a good survey :) ). Then you could address the important issues of the day - for example just what happens when you wrap an unsheated wire around a nail and then hook both ends up to 60 Volts! Also blowing up resistors - vandalism or theraputic? Bring in lecturers as well, why not visit a few and ask what their worst lab disaster was (all completly anonnymus of course ;) ) Em...I seem to have gotten a bit carried away here, sorry and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sconnolly

Hi Zap, that's great. Could you email me at observersciencepage@yahoo.com

Hey, General Random Science/Eng/Med People - I'm writing an article on what you need to know in first year techy subjects. (Do's and Donts suppose) What do you wish you'd known at the start of 1styear? (to do with sciencey courses specifically)

If you help me, I'll credit boards.ie with the byline :D

Thanks!

S

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yeah i'd certainly do it.

any sort of random electrical destruction or the like is right up my street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Sconnolly wrote:
    Hey, General Random Science/Eng/Med People - I'm writing an article on what you need to know in first year techy subjects. (Do's and Donts suppose) What do you wish you'd known at the start of 1styear? (to do with sciencey courses specifically)

Well I hope ur including the vets in that general randomness!

Do you mean what to know as regards academic programme content or more in relation to tips about getting around the faculty - sorry *school*, and basically "What lectures are OK to miss" etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement