Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the management?

Options
  • 24-08-2005 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering in light of these fupping eejits that sign up and get banned for posting how to make money fast, is there a way of stopping it. What I mean is you know like on Yahoo and such like when you register you have to enter a code at the bottom of the page from the picture above it.
    Would this curb such registrations.

Willem D.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It would stop bots, but I don't think that's what these ejits are. They're "real" ejits who can type in a code just as well as you or I :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Alot of these guys in general are bots .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I dont think they are. I think they are real people who come on here and post.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, bot attacks are quite rare. You can easily spot a bot posting, as it will post on many forums, indiscriminately. Any spammers I've seen recently choose one or two forums remotely related to what they're pimping, and leave it at that. Maybe I've just been getting into work after it's all been cleaned up by ecksor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Right then the next question is there a better way of vetting new users when the register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Such as?

I know a few forums ban people from using @hotmail and @yahoo addresses when registering, but I don't feel that's reasonable.

You coulso specify a minimum time after activation (say, a day) that a user has to wait before they can post. The problem with this is that a new person wants to ask a question, they register, realise they can't post, then go elsewhere, never to return, where they may have stayed and continued to post if they'd been allowed.

A delay of five to ten minutes before they can post may discourage bots, while not inconveniencing new users too much, but then there's not really a big problem here of bots. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nor are such posters the nastiest, nor the most frequent source of problems. And they're dealt with quickly enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

retina scan and an iq test.

i don't think there is any reasonable way of stopping them signing up because there is no way to differentiate between them and a regular person.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We used to get bots pretty regularly but I don't recall seeing any in about a year. They're ridiculously easy to stop anyway.

Advertisement