Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL SELECT issue

Options
  • 24-08-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

hi

> using php & mysql
    > ive got an array of numbers (from multiple select) passed through from a form
    > i want to check if any of those numbers are present in a db field
    > the numbers in that db field are comma seperated.

What im doing is im extracting the numbers from the array and adding a where clause for each

foreach ($_REQUEST as $value){
    if($i<count($_REQUEST)){
    $jobs.= $value.',';
    $wheres3.= "($value IN a.job) AND ";
    }else{
    $jobs.= $value;
    $wheres3.= "($value IN a.job) ";
    }
    $i++;
    }

if i select the second and third options in my multiple select
    the i get
    WHERE ((1 IN a.job) AND (2 IN a.job) )
    in my query

However this is not returning anything ... (wheres it should do)
    Is the issue that the values in the db are comma seperated??

Tnx
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

should the AND not be an OR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If $_REQUEST is indeed a comma-seperated list, then you can make it alot easier on yourself...
    // add check that $_REQUEST['job'] contains something
    $sql = "SELECT a.id FROM a WHERE a.job IN( $_REQUEST['job'] )";

.. and assuming that $_REQUEST contains "1,2,3", then your query will be
    SELECT a.id FROM a WHERE a.job IN( 1,2,3 ) .. which should do the trick. You could also SELECT COUNT(*) instead of a.id, etc.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

cgarvey wrote:
    If $_REQUEST is indeed a comma-seperated list, then you can make it alot easier on yourself...
    // add check that $_REQUEST['job'] contains something
    $sql = "SELECT a.id FROM a WHERE a.job IN( $_REQUEST['job'] )";

.. and assuming that $_REQUEST contains "1,2,3", then your query will be
    SELECT a.id FROM a WHERE a.job IN( 1,2,3 ) .. which should do the trick. You could also SELECT COUNT(*) instead of a.id, etc.

.cg

superb!!!
    was wrecking my head for ages
    Tnx

id buy u a pint if i was anywhere near by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is horribly insecure code. It allows arbitrary SQL statements to be run by the user. Stop it and read about SQL injection immediately.

yes rsynott, it is insecure, but then if we were all to post totally "secure" and assume the poster knows nothing, then no-one would help. :rolleyes:

ConsultClifford, in the spirit of helping, rather than mouthing off, I'd first make sure that only numbers, commas and spaces were present in $_REQUEST .. you can easily check it against a simple regular expression "[0-9, ]".. rsynott is right, though it will allow injection attacts, but then most code snippets here will. I had rightly, or wrongly, assumed you'd be aware of this.

.cg

• Advertisement

No, the correct thing to do is generally to use addslashes on each thing being put in the database, and stripslashes coming out. That way, you don't have to worry about the user having an apostrophy in their name and similar.

It's amazing how often people don't do this...

Are we not dealing with numbers/ids here?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

indeed there is the injection issue with this code... looking into alternatives

.cg

Yes its ids we are dealing with
    cgarvey wrote:
    . and assuming that $_REQUEST contains "1,2,3", then your query will be
    .cg

jost out of interest amd to note this does not work anyhow this only takes into account the first no. in the db field

ie if i have three entries in the db and $_REQUEST is selected to be 1 only:

id job
    1 1
    2 0,1,3,6
    3 1,2,3,6

then it only returns the second and third ones.
    (seems its looking for the $_REQUEST values in the first digit of db field only).....

Tnx

OK, that's not how I read the opening post .. so if the 'job' column is some sort of text column with sample content "0,1,3,6" (withouth the quotes), $_REQUEST contains "1", and you want to return all 3 sample rows, then you'd need something like ..
    SELECT a.id FROM a WHERE a.job ="$_REQUEST['job']%"  OR a.job LIKE "$_REQUEST['job'],%" OR a.job LIKE "%,$_REQUEST['job'],%" OR a.job LIKE "%,$_REQUEST['job']"

So the 1st where clause deals with when job just contains one id, the 2nd deals with when the id being searched is at the beginning, the 3rd when it's in the middle, the 4th when it's at the end... I'm sure there's a more elegant solution, but that should get you started in the meantime.

Incidentally, you may want to consider rethinking that architecture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement