Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this not discrimination

Options
  • 24-08-2005 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

I keeping getting told that landlords will either not accept students or that they will not accept males, is this not discrimination based on either occupation or sex and is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Is it because you is black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

no i never mentioned race or skin colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Sure.....It wont let you down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

zap wrote:
    I keeping getting told that landlords will either not accept students or that they will not accept males, is this not discrimination based on either occupation or sex and is there anything I can do?

You can quit complaining and keep looking for somewhere to live.

why not say that you're not a student or you're not male??

i think both is obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

why not say that you're not a student or you're not male??
    Coz they ask for employer details and he'd have to dress in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

as a male and former student, i wouldnt rent a house to male students either. Its not discrimination they can rent to who they like, now get a job ya bum :D

Coz they ask for employer details and he'd have to dress in drag.

Dressing in drag would be worth it if he got somewhere to live!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it works both ways.....i cant get accomm for various reasons atm.mixed sexes living together,guy livin in the house(me),girls livin in the house(them)-some places don't accept females too,we are students, we are not working... not a couple with the girl i live with(what teh ghey!)

well has anyone advice on finding somewhere to live

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if I were to rent my property
    I have the right to decide who I wish to live in it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

where?

www.daft.ie is good
    www.let.ie
    www.findahome.ie
    papers

just ring places and ask,ive been lookin round for a few weeks now and am doing so as we speak.

trying all them places have been for 3 weeks and gettin no luck

Beruthiel wrote:
    if i was to be in position to give a job or have power over people....i have the right to descriminate against race and sex :)

Beruthiel wrote:

Preach it girl!!!! :p

zap wrote:
    all you do is keep trying,as i am,think i've sorted a place now...been looking since july.whenever the accomm paper you get comes out get it straight away,therefore the places won't be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

zap wrote:
    3 weeks and couldn't find a house? What the hell are you doing? Did all two places that you looked not accept you or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

zap wrote:

obviously you can't do anything about the male thing.

what age are you?

most landlords will tend to assume you are a student if you are around 17-20.

i recently rented a house, they didn't even ask what i did, but that was most likely due to the fact that i am 23.

i know 4 people who dressed up in suits and pretended to work in offices to get a flat. only one of them actually moved in the other 3 were pretendign to be moving in, so they got 3 other to actually move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

zap wrote:

i always woundered about that too... can't find anything on oasis... anyone know the actual answer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

Pretty sure the landlord can rent out to whoever they want. Once somebody is in though, think it's hard to kick them out (legally) if they're paying rent on time each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Beruthiel wrote:
    if I were to rent my property I have the right to decide who I wish to live in it
    No, you are still subject to the law.
    zap wrote:
    It is discrimination, but it would appear to be legal.

Properties designed for six of less people (effectively a 3-bed) are not covered by equality legislation.

Advertisement