Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villareal v Everton

• 24-08-2005 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Ok, so my first post here and all that millarkey....

Anyhow, does anyone see us (Everton) in with a chance of pulling off something here?

We'll be needing two goals minimum.

We've one possibly two strikers who are fit, the most likely team will be (4-4-1-1)

Martyn

Hibbert, Yobo, Weir, Neville/Kilbane,

Davies/Neville (if fit), Arteta, Cahill, Kilbane/Osman

Bent/Osma

Ferguson

Going to be a tough night in warm weather, COYB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd love to see everton pull it off, but I just can't see where the goals will come from long ball for 90 minutes and hope aul duncan can get on the end of one?

the only thing going for everton is it doesn't matter really if you concide a goal so you can pretty much throw caution to the wind from the first kick of the game.

if you can nick an early goal and get in their faces for 90 minutes and get some quality into duncan anything's possible.

is bent fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bent is having a test later on to see on his fitness, my gut is that he'll be ok. Moyes wouldn't have had him travel unless he was nearly capable of playing. I expect Beattie on the bench too.

Marbosa Blasts Everton ’Animals’
    8/23/2005 10:51:00 AM
    Villarreal goalkeeper Mariano Barbosa has stoked the flames ahead of his club’s Champions League clash with Everton on Wednesday.
    The Argentinian, signed by Villarreal this summer, was shocked by the Toffees’ physical approach to the first-leg at Goodison Park.

"I have never been beaten up as badly," he said. "Not even when I was in the playground at school.

"My head was cut open and I was left swearing, but I don’t know at who.

"After the game my entire body ached. My shin, my chest, my thigh, you name it and it hurt.

"I had expected Everton to bombard my area with high balls but I never believed they would go in for such close contact.

"I came out to make a catch in the first half and I was hit with a terrible blow, that made me angry and I then realised it was a case of kill or be killed.

"Everton are a bunch of animals and they are not worth a thing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see Everton getting anything out of this. They'll have to attack and get an early goal if they are to have any chance of progressing, but Villareal are so quick on the break, I expect Everton to get caught out at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No chance of Everton getting through this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I'm a sport, I hope the Toffees give them a game and loose galantly!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Villareal are a quality side and have a great home record. I don't think Everton have a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I would like to see Everton get through. However, it's not very often that you see Everton score two goals against quality oppositon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

I wonder will McFadden or Vaughan be given a start. McFadden really needs a top class performance because if he cant get into the team with the current injury crises then when will he get in...?

Is Fraziers the only show in town once again? Why is the kick off so late?? That's 10 o clock in Spain. Mad stuff.

toffeeman wrote:
    Is Fraziers the only show in town once again? Why is the kick off so late?? That's 10 o clock in Spain. Mad stuff.

Its becasue of the heat.

Lots of pubs will have it on, check the www.irish-toffees.com chat page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Ah my work fire wall won't let me go to their chat page. I see Setanta have it on at 9.30 this evening. Does that mean they are missing the first 30mins while the Man Utd match is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I would like to see Everton get through. However, it's not very often that you see Everton score two goals against quality oppositon.

not often you see Everton score two goals against any opposition. :(

this match will be v.difficult, and it's unlikely we'll get the result we need, especially with all the injuries (oh God I sound like Houllier) But I think there's a chance, if they lose a goal they might get rattled.

150/1 for Everton to win 2-0, Cahill to score first... but I think i'll keep my money in my pocket.

and anyway, i think a good league campaign is more important to the status of Everton football club that postponing our exit from the CL. We're not a big enough club to make money out of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Personally I dont think Everton will progress tonight but I do think it will be very close.

Ill go for a 1-1.

If they end up in the UEFA Cup I can see them going reasonably far for some reason. They got a bum deal with the CL draw, they wouldnt face to many better sides in the UEFA (should they end up there ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Villarreal went 18 home games without conceded a goal in Europe (against some top class teams) until AZ knocked them out of the UEFA cup last season. Its not often AZ don't score and they were one of the best attacking teams in Europe last season. Their match against Sporting was one of the best I seen all season. Everton don't have half the attack of AZ's team last season and I can't see them scoring 2.

And Villarreal fans get fed up telling people it's 2 r's not 1. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Villareal V Everton

:) Live on Setanta after the Man U game

Listening to the game on Five LIve and it sound like Villarreal are playing great footie and only Martyn is keeping Everton in it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

never thought i would see a pair of breasts on setanta! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

apart from the pair of tits sitting in the studio :)

heart breaking stuff for Everton, so close to getting that equaliser and hit on the break. Perfectly legitamate goal disallowed from the corner

Oh dear Collina robbed them.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

2-1 win for Villa Real. Adios Everton :D maybe next season eh ?

nothing whatsoever wrong with that goal, if anything Bent was pushed. 2-1 isn't really a fair result.

Since Arteta's goal it was all Everton, oh well, we went down fightin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Everton were unlucky drunken duncan played well, they just lacked a cutting edge upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Anyone think collina is past his sell by date? Ive watched his last few champions league matches and hes been absolutely rubbish, conned left right and centre and refereeing like its a basketball match. i feel bad for everton...victims of a terrible decision. For some reason im boiling with anger, and im a liverpool fan...disgusting performance from the man in black.

Have to feel sorry, put up a good fight, havn't seen the disallowed goal.

I reckon they should do well in the UEFA cup now, even Newcastle made it to the semis last year. Itll be a good place for them to get some European experience for the next time they are in the CL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

robbed, so so robbed, i thought that little alien of a ref was meant to retire last year? im heartbroken

Badabing wrote:
    Everton were unlucky drunken duncan played well, they just lacked a cutting edge upfront.

that was the difference in the end, Everton probably had twice the chances over the 180 mins, but only put half as many in the net in the end.

except beattie's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Have to feel sorry, put up a good fight, havn't seen the disallowed goal.

I reckon they should do well in the UEFA cup now, even Newcastle made it to the semis last year. Itll be a good place for them to get some European experience for the next time they are in the CL ;)

big help for the co-efficient aswell. thats where they got raped this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

big help for the co-efficient aswell. thats where they got raped this year.

Do you reckon Everton will make it to fourth in the next four years ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did any of the Everton fans see the 1st leg?
    You lost 2-1 in both games ,theres no robbed in that , they were better simple as that.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

they were better simple as that.
    Villareal were far far better over the two legs.
    They will be a tough team to beat at home in the rest or the tournament and are well equipped for the away counter attacking matches too.

KdjaC wrote:
    You lost 2-1 in both games ,theres no robbed in that , they were better simple as that.

kdjac

:rolleyes:

Villareal are a very good team, but for all that, thought Everton were the better team in the first leg, but less clinical when chances presented themselves.

At times today Villareal dominated, at others Everton were all over them. When it was 1-1 we scored a perfect goal, leveling the aggregate score...

but it was disallowed unfairly ... robbed !

of course it would have just given us an extra half-hour to score a winner, but we'ed have the momentum, and i'd fancy our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    That's not entirely fair though, they drew level with a perfectly good goal and it was just taken away for no reason. The pressure they kept up because of that led to the Forlan goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    no... not as simple as 'that'.... there are shades of grey in this black and white world you see as well you know :rolleyes:

Everton were robbed of a perfectly legitimate goal tonight that would have swung the tie way into their favour.... extra time. anything could have happened.
    They had the momentum if this goal would have stood.

Everton have by no means disgraced themselves as many predicted when they qualified for the champions league at the end of last season.... I would love to see what that tw@t Alan Green on FiveLive was saying. He is the most biased liverpool fan ive ever heard in the media. He slates everton so much its crazy...

Get of the red horse Kdjac...

Get of the red horse Kdjac...

Ehh ok ...

You lost 2-1 in a CL game to a team who KNEW they would score away, no offence but there was no way in hell you were going to win away to them. And after watching the game tonight it was the same story of course Everton were bigger and stronger with Duncan up front but that doesnt win CL games anymore. Not losing at home and scoring away usually does.

Well done and all that for getting 4th but when that draw was made only everton fans thought they had a chance, after watching Villareal last season in la liga im impressed it was only 4-2.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Cheer up Everton fans, you can rest safe in the knowledge that Liverpool certainly won't be going far in this years competion.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Ehh ok ...

You lost 2-1 in a CL game to a team who KNEW they would score away, no offence but there was no way in hell you were going to win away to them. And after watching the game tonight it was the same story of course Everton were bigger and stronger with Duncan up front but that doesnt win CL games anymore. Not losing at home and scoring away usually does.

Well done and all that for getting 4th but when that draw was made only everton fans thought they had a chance, after watching Villareal last season in la liga im impressed it was only 4-2.

kdjac
    we nearly did win away to them if its wasn't for that bug-eyed ref, who i have lost a lot of respect for after that shocking performance....

The conspiracy theories will appear i reckon.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Devious wrote:
    Cheer up Everton fans, you can rest safe in the knowledge that Liverpool certainly won't be going far in this years competion.

I will accept getting to the group stages for now.. And gladly listen to everyone say we won't progress beyond them, then we wont progress beyong the 2nd round, quarter final...... AGAIN...

Have the NOG members given up spamming the CS forum and turned their attention to the soccer forum?

As for Everton, it was always gonna be very tough for Everton to progress and they ended up facing one of the strongest sides in the round.. Its a shame they go out now wondering what would have happened if the disputed goal had of been given.. It is perfectly reasonable to grasp onto that decison but remember doing so.. Using injuries and disputed decisions as excuses is often perfectly reasonable.

Being knocked out of the CL may be a blessing in disguise for Everton as their squad may have been a little thin to tackle the CL and PL. A run in the UEFA will give them some good experience while also allowing them to concentrate on the PL and achieve a a European finishing position again this season.. Two or Three years of consistent top 6 finishes will do the club a world of good..

And Kdjac, will you trip the "thats it" switch back over and stop being so biased. You seem to go through phases where you attempt to be as controversial just to stir trouble..

And Kdjac, will you trip the "thats it" switch back over and stop being so biased. You seem to go through phases where you attempt to be as controversial just to stir trouble..

K sorrry boss thougght VL were a decent team who scored a lot of goals last season Ev were a team who only scored 1 per game.

OMFG!!!!! Everton scored 1 in both legas but VL scored more!!!!!!!!

:confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As a Liverpool fan with a particular dislike of Moyes, I'm not sad Everton are out, though I feel a bit sorry for the fans and players. Over the two legs I thought an aggregate 3-3 draw was the least Everton deserved.

I thought Everton were unlucky in the first leg, but Villareal scored two quality goals (both after periods of Everton pressure), and were calm and controlled in the second half and Everton couldnt break them down, so at the same stage 1-2 wasnt unfair.

But Everton were the better team in the second leg. They were on top until the fluke goal, which I suppose understandably knocked the stuffing out of them for the rest of the half. But they came out fighting in the second half, and deserved their two goals.

Extra time would have been the fairest reflection of the previous 180 minutes IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

As a Liverpool fan with a particular dislike of Moyes, I'm not sad Everton are out, though I feel a bit sorry for the fans and players. Over the two legs I thought an aggregate 3-3 draw was the least Everton deserved.

I thought Everton were unlucky in the first leg, but Villareal scored two quality goals (both after periods of Everton pressure), and were calm and controlled in the second half and Everton couldnt break them down, so at the same stage 1-2 wasnt unfair.

But Everton were the better team in the second leg. They were on top until the fluke goal, which I suppose understandably knocked the stuffing out of them for the rest of the half. But they came out fighting in the second half, and deserved their two goals.

Extra time would have been the fairest reflection of the previous 180 minutes IMO.

I think The Rooster has hit the nail on the head there.

• Advertisement

As for Everton, it was always gonna be very tough for Everton to progress and they ended up facing one of the strongest sides in the round.. Its a shame they go out now wondering what would have happened if the disputed goal had of been given.. It is perfectly reasonable to grasp onto that decison but remember doing so.. Using injuries and disputed decisions as excuses is often perfectly reasonable.

Being knocked out of the CL may be a blessing in disguise for Everton as their squad may have been a little thin to tackle the CL and PL. A run in the UEFA will give them some good experience while also allowing them to concentrate on the PL and achieve a a European finishing position again this season.. Two or Three years of consistent top 6 finishes will do the club a world of good..

:confused: ok... what just happened here???? :D

jesus loves everton na na na na na :p

Devious wrote:

I see Liverpool are already well on their way to winning it again, 2 perfect goals, both disallowed, one knocks out Everton, the other pushes Liverpool into the group stage. Sometimes I think God is a red, and i'm glad I don't believe in him.

As a Liverpool fan with a particular dislike of Moyes.

Would be really interested to know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that goal shuoldnt have been disallowed tbh. I am by no means an everton fan but that was ridiculous. everton should have at least had them into extra time.

theCzar wrote:
    I see Liverpool are already well on their way to winning it again, 2 perfect goals, both disallowed, one knocks out Everton, the other pushes Liverpool into the group stage. Sometimes I think God is a red, and i'm glad I don't believe in him.
    What are you on about?

It will probably be doing the email rounds but Ill post it anyway.....

Carlsberg dont do referee's............................

http://photos32.flickr.com/37015391_56b6931cac_o.jpg

What are you on about?

Sky Sports wrote:
    The hosts had a late scare when Dimitrov had the ball in the back of the net, only for the linesman's flag to deny CSKA a second goal as Benitez's boys endured a frustrating day at the office for the second game in succession.

now that I think about it though, the reds may have gone through anyway with an extra away goal :(

LOL at that Collina pic, those photoshoppers don't hang around :rolleyes:

theCzar wrote:
    now that I think about it though, the reds may have gone through anyway with an extra away goal :(
    Well the goal was far from "perfect". The guy was about two or three metres offside.

And as you said Liverpool would have gone through anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

:confused: ok... what just happened here???? :D

jesus loves everton na na na na na :p

God is a red.. Jesus is a blue ;)

Advertisement