Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone driven a 1.6 FSI Mark V Golf

Options
  • 24-08-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Has anyone driven or owns one of these. Are they worth the extra money. Would you think these are better than th 1.9TDi version.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Imo the 1.6 FSi is not worth the extra premium over the already overpriced standard 1.6 Golf as the extra bhp is really only noticeable if you constantly using Super Unleaded petrol. Also a factor to consider is that you are buying a 1.6 engined car in a 1.4 dominated market due to lower insurance, tax and petrol costs.

The TDi will be more economical, probably just as nippy and you will have no problem selling it on afterwards.

I would definately buy the TDi over the FSi every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

i'm taking delivery of a 1.6 fsi in a couple of weeks so i'm interested in this.

perry - i've test driven the car. i was happy with the power and think it is sufficient for a car of this size. I have no experience of the 1.6 102bhp, and can't say for sure whether the FSI is worth the extra 1k. i will know better once i've driven the car for a couple of weeks.

however i've read good reviews about it, its supposedly more economical than the 102bhp engine - and probably a bit smoother and nippier.

as for the 105bhp tdi, i haven't driven that - but its about 2.5k dearer than the FSI - so I think you would need to be doing a lot of mileage for it to be a benefit. anyway, there are lots of places to read about petrol vs diesel.

bazz - i take it you've driven the 1.6 102 bhp, and the 1.6 fsi using both regular unleaded petrol and super unleaded ? and you've driven the 1.9tdi 105 bhp ?

"Also a factor to consider is that you are buying a 1.6 engined car in a 1.4 dominated market due to lower insurance, tax and petrol costs. " - what does this mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PerryComo

kevo - did the dealer mention to u about using the more expensive petrol...its expensive enough without having to pay the extra 12 cent a litre for super unleded just for the extra BHP....Im a TDi man myself but they are very expensibe even for a 04 one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

deffo diesel, imo. Cheaper on fuel and it will feel faster with all the torque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Speaking of Super Unleaded... Where can you get it? V-Power is still 95 Octane is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

I checked with the dealer before ordering. He said there's no need to use the super unleaded petrol. I have been trying to look it up to see what difference it makes. I think it may be more economical to use the super unleaded, I'm not sure it effects the bhp.

while diesel's are cheaper to run, 2,500 is a big premium to pay and i doubt there's much difference in pace between the 1.6 fsi and 1.9 tdi - if anything the petrol car will be quicker off the mark

however if i was really worried about pace - i wouldnt be buying a 1.6 fsi or a 1.9 tdi - my guess its the same for you Perry

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The FSI hasmore BHP and torque but at higher revs resulting in a performance that's only marginally better and probably not noticable. The petrol consumption should work out at roughly 10% less for the FSI which means you have to spend €10k in fuel to recoup the €1k it costs extra. And that's not even considering interest rates (i.e. spending €1k now costs more than spending €1k over 3 years). I doubt you'd get a substantial part of the extra cost back when you come to re-sell

If you do higher than average miles, it might make more sense to get the diesel. Do the sums...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kevodaly wrote:

bazz - i take it you've driven the 1.6 102 bhp, and the 1.6 fsi using both regular unleaded petrol and super unleaded ? and you've driven the 1.9tdi 105 bhp ?

No I haven't driven the entire Golf range. I have driven a Golf Mk IV Tdi though which has the same engine as the Mk V Golf and have driven the new Passat 1.6 FSi which uses the same engine also in the new Golf, granted it is a bigger heavier car.

I was interested in the FSi technology when VW first introducted this engine and read that in order to optimise performance from the this direct injected petrol engine it needs super unleaded petrol. Of course it will run on unleaded petrol, I didn't say you couldn't use regular unleaded but to me it doesn't make sense spending the extra €1k+ for this engine unless you benefit from it.

Look at VWs figures:
    Golf 1.6 102bhp
    0-100 km/h - 11.4 sec
    Top Speed - 184 km/h

Golf 1.6 FSi 115bhp
    0-100 km/h - 10.8 sec
    Top Speed - 189 km/h

Golf 1.9 TDi 105bhp
    0-100 km/h - 11.3 sec
    Top Speed - 187 km/h
    kevodaly wrote:
    "Also a factor to consider is that you are buying a 1.6 engined car in a 1.4 dominated market due to lower insurance, tax and petrol costs. " - what does this mean ?

The Golf is marketed in this country as a compact family hatchback, the same as a Focus, Corolla, Astra, Civc, etc which 90-95% of sales are the 1.4 versions due to being cheaper to tax, insure and fill up at the pump. When you come to sell on a 1.6 Golf you are limiting the number of buyers who may not be able to afford the running costs of a 1.6. It would be alot easier to sell on a 1.4 for those reasons.

For example take a look:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=283116
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=280532

Not much in the difference in used prices of the above two Golfs even thought the 1.6 cost more new including air con.

But everyone to their own.

Advertisement