Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terragen (One Of My Most Used 3D BG Rendering Programs)

Options
  • 24-08-2005 2:39pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

TERRAGEN
    http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

I used this to create all the backgrounds on my game, MehPong (For a look, the download link is in the bottom of my signiature).

Unfortunately, the unregistered version lacks quite a lot of tools that the registered version supplies (as is always the case with most programs) but it is still capable of producing some gorgeous scenery, even if it does only comprise of ground, sky and water effects.

There is also a scripter avaliable that allows you to render the images whilst the camara position is moving through selected positions, creating an animated effect of movement through your terrain. This can be done along with a rising / setting sun and, with the registered version, plenty of other features.

Wether you do this, or simply render some stills, it's a nice program to get used to, and very easy to use once you adjust to the terrain altering effects and tools.

I suggest you give it a go.

Deleted a LOT of backgrounds I created, but I'll try and fire a few up and post them as examples.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

TerragenRope01.jpg

TerragenRope02.jpg

TerragenRope03.jpg

TerragenRope04.jpg

TerragenRope05.jpg

Used these as backgrounds for my game...
    They were edited into 16bit format images by my Game Making Program, so they dont look half as good - They're also saved at half size.

Anyway, thats what the unregistered version can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I have always been told to download that but I've never been bothered . Guess I will now then.

Thanks.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

If you make any images, fire them up.

I made my own settings for the desert / snow plains / mountain ranges, but because it's unregistered, they all (despite the terrain type and overall atmospheric colour) look the same.

Updated versions can swap the sun for a moon, add foilage and plant life and other such details that would propel it's capabilities far far beyond what it can at the moment, yet despite it's limited abilities (being unregistered) it can still produce some rather nice images as it is.

With a bit of photoshopping, they can be given all kinds of nice touches.
    Give it a go - All you do is create a terrain (pre-generated or you can create your own), then apply some textures, sun properties, water properties, cloud / atmosphere alterations and simply let it render while you make a cup of tea.

Then again, PC speed does play a large role in the creation, so if you're a bit impatient, or have a really choppy PC, you might want to divert your efforts elsewhere. Have fun with it anyhow.

Im not actually using them for direct renders . Im exporting them as .lwo and importing them into bleder 3d for other things. Only problem I need to get over is that the textures get lost somewhere along the way :confused:

_edit_ well maybe I'll attach a normal one then. Its not really anything special

Give us some insight into this... Bleder 3D.

I'm trying to grasp a list of all these programs for future reference.
    Always up for trying new programs when it comes to me making new projects, what's Bleder about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Probably on about Blender 3D, which is an open source and aparently fairly decent 3D Modeling / Animation / Rendering program.

I don't know too much about 3D modeling, but I've been playing with this for a while now and it seems quite nice (price is right at the least). Check out the gallery for examples of what it can do. And also Project Orange, an 'open move' that's being made to show off the power of the program.

What he said ^^

If your trying to build resources then on a blender related topic

Yafray (yet another free ray tracer) It is an external programmme that will render scenes in blender and is 100%% vital to getting uber realistic renders(downloading latest version as I type)
    http://www.yafray.org/

A very expansive list of blender tutorial to be found on this wiki page
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_Tutorial_Links_List

there is also alot of tutorials that can be got through blenders own site aswell as plugins and complete documentation.

Just discovered this as I was getting the latest yafray . They have a large amount of powerful computers that you simply upload through their client. You get a certain amount of credits but after that you have to pay nominal amounts. This is perfect for those with out patience or capability . For example a complete car with yafray render and photons and everything can take up to 3 hours on a 1gig ram and Athlon AMD (i have no idea but very high) mhz. So this probably will be a must for all the dedicated people who want uber realism.
    http://renderplanet.com/

Most excellent...

Composing starter resource thread - Thanks guys - Keep us informed of the latest projects, or any other links you might find useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

There was a two part tutorial on Blender on Gamedev.net a little while ago - haven't gone through it myself but it's probably worth a look, seemed quite detailed.

Advertisement